Glass quality between Vortex and Nikon?

rynokron

Narrowed my options down to a Vortex Viper 2x7x32 or a Nikon Monarch 2x8x32. For you guys that look through alot of glass I'm wondering which one will be better. Going on my AR and will be used some at night. Most shots under 200 yards. Price is real close, so not a factor here. The only concern I have about the Vortex is it's a discontinued model so if it quits it will be replaced with a lower end model.

I have a couple of nikon monarchs and just got my first vortex viper HS mounted on a new RRA varmint upper. I like the crosshairs on the vortex better but as far as glass quality, I'm not sure which is better. The vortex might be a bit more clear but I've only used it at 100 yards so far. Only time will tell. I don't think you will be disappointed in either.

Haven't had to test it yet but Vortex's warranty is supposed to be unbeatable. I like my viper hd's but I can't tell the dif with my buddy's monarch. Tough call.

I had a Viper with faulty side focus. I called them, the e-mailed a label, sent it in, recieved a replacement within the week. Thats great service.

I have had a couple of Vipers and 3 Monarchs. All 3 Monarchs had comparable glass. One had terrible eye relief and eye box.

One Viper had exceptionally good glass, and the other was just okay.

Overall, I agree that the glass quality between the 2 is very, very, comparable. It's a toss up IMO.....

Looks like it's neck and neck with the Vortex getting a slight nod. Which one will be better for night hunting? Gonna order this week. Will give this thread some more time to help me make up my mind. Thanks everyone!

I'd get a Weaver Classic 3-9x38.

It's 2 oz.lighter than said scopes, yet has a larger objective. It will be brighter because it has 94-95% light transmission just like the other 2. All 3 have about the same glass.

They have proven themselves to be very durable, and also very repeatable.

It also happens to cost a good bit less.

Lighter/brighter/ cheaper. Hard to beat IMO.........

This:

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunI'd get a Weaver Classic 3-9x38.

It's 2 oz.lighter than said scopes, yet has a larger objective. It will be brighter because it has 94-95% light transmission just like the other 2. All 3 have about the same glass.

They have proven themselves to be very durable, and also very repeatable.

It also happens to cost a good bit less.

Lighter/brighter/ cheaper. Hard to beat IMO.........
thumbup1.gif

I only have the Vortex but would not even go with anything else. Have them on every gun I own but one and it has a Burris Black Diamond.

Originally Posted By: rynokronNarrowed my options down to a Vortex Viper 2x7x32 or a Nikon Monarch 2x8x32. For you guys that look through alot of glass I'm wondering which one will be better. Going on my AR and will be used some at night. Most shots under 200 yards. Price is real close, so not a factor here. The only concern I have about the Vortex is it's a discontinued model so if it quits it will be replaced with a lower end model.

When I was first looking into Vortex optics I saw a lot of review comments about their customer service. When a discontinued model has a problem they send you the next higher grade, and in some cases will jump beyond that in the interest of very good customer service.

There are guys who bought the bottom end stuff and got way higher grade models than what they paid for. The lower end models may not be the best, but hey, what is? I thought that some of the people buying the bottom end had ridiculous expectations, but Vortex took care of them way better than they had any reason to expect. Guy buys a $150 scope, it doesn't have high end repeatability, they send him a new one, it doesn't do it and they sent him an $800 scope. He won the customer service lottery.

I own/owned both and like most said...the glass is to close to deem one a winner, now for reticles....vortex gets my vote dont care for the nikon duplex, and there bdc is a joke imo.....

+1 for Vortex. I like everything about them. I believe the clarity and crispness or resolution if you perfer is better than the Nikon. Like the reticule better as well. Cheers, Ottway

Ok. Vortex it is... Took a look at the Weaver and it does look good but I want the lower power and smaller overall size for a quick handleing AR. I have a .243 with a Bushnell Elite 4x16x50 if I want something better suited to reach out there farther. Thanks for all the input!

Well after much mental anguish I ordered the Vortex Viper 2x7x32. There were some others that had my interest too. Viper 3x9x40, Bushnell Elite 3x9x40, and Nikon Monarch 2.5x10x44. Hope I like the smaller scope as much as I think I will! For a fast action calling gun it should be the ticket.

Back