.243 suitable for coyotes?

Whitetail Hunter

so , in the cabelass catalog there is a predator combo, a savage camo rifle and turbo dog call for $600 canadian. i was thinking about getting the 243, so i could use it for deer and coyotes. is a 243 too big for coyotes?

243 is a great coyote/deer round. Pick you shot and use a non-frangable bullet and youll be fine, if you have a little too big of a hole, sew it up. 243 is nice for those windy days or longer shots.

.243 would be a great dual purpose gun for deer and yotes. If it was just strictly a yote gun i'd say .22-250 with the light bullets makes a very flat 0-300yd gun

I have used 22-250, 244 Ackley Improved and 257 Ackley Improved here in Indiana solely for coyotes. In the 22-250 I use the Sierra 55 grain SBT, 244 Nosler’s 70 Grain BT the 257 Hornady’s 75 grain Vmax. I have had excellent terminal performance from each bullet with limited pelt damage. The 243 that you mention will serve you well for both varmint and deer finding a happy medium with an 80 to 95 grain bullet for dual use.
Good luck
B..

Prolly best all around gun you can own. I use 55g Nosler BT's and they are deadly on coyotes. Great for deer and even one of the best 1000 yard shooters out there.

.243 the bomb for a deer/coyote rifle! People could argue all day about the infinity other similar rounds but .243 is awesome, been around forever, no spendy brass. Great choice.

I have used a 243 and hunt with friends that use the 243 all the time.. The Savage 243, as long as it's not the axis is a great rifle. (axis just feels cheap)
They are tough on the early season coyotes. Thin pelts and pups don't have enough weight to them gets some big blowouts.
As soon as they get some weight to them (by now for you you up north) the gun anchors them well. The 70-80 gr bullets buck the wind well, and seem to drop them in their tracks without blown out holes.
I would rather do some sewing, vs tracking.

Something to think about.

As other have said the .243 is the perfect dual purpose round. The Savage Axis may feel cheap but what it lacks in looks or toughness it makes up for in the accuracy department. Great rifle for the money.

I've been using the .243 Winchester for coyotes now for about 8 yrs. I shoot the Hornady 58gr. V-Max moly coated factory loads through my Ruger M77 MarkII. I've laid many a coyote low with this combination and have yet to have an exit wound. Only one splatter. Usually just a small entry hole, hard to find, and the vitals look like a bowl of jello. I don't think I've ever lost a coyote or deer to this combination. 90% are DRT (dead right there), never taking another step. I think you will be well pleased with the .243. Very accurate, plenty of ammo choices, and you can find ammo most anywhere. It's a little too much gun for fox and bobcats, but for deer and coyotes it's been a proven winner for me. I give it high recommendations. Good luck.

This:

Originally Posted By: nutcracker I shoot the Hornady 58gr. V-Max moly coated factory loads through my Ruger M77 MarkII. I've laid many a coyote low with this combination and have yet to have an exit wound. Only one splatter. Usually just a small entry hole, hard to find, and the vitals look like a bowl of jello.

I reload those bullets as well as the Nosler 55 BTs. I have heard that the sierra 60 hp does really well on furs but haven't shot those and don't know if they are available in factory offerings.

I like the 58's to 75gr bullets if they will group, depending on the rifle.. I would skip the molly since they don't have something that can get it out of the barrel.
Just get a box of each Gr, and go shoot for groups and see which one your gun likes. Each gun can be picky.

Last edited:
Back