WHich holster for a super blackhawk

Ernest II

I hope to get my Bisley super blackhawk hunter this week end. I like the western style holsters in leather but is it very practical? WHat do you revolver shooters wear for holster rigs for your pistols?
Thanks
Daryl P.

If you like leather these are nice from Galco the shoulder holster is a little pricey but they are nice. I have a couple of the Outdoorsman's for Redhawks and shorter barreled Bisley Blackhawks and they are very nice.
The western style holsters are fine I have a few and carry my Rugers in them these were made by a custom holster maker for me when I was shooting alot of cowboy action but I sometimes use them to carry while hunting I use just the strong side holster or sometimes the crossdraw the hammer loop holds them pretty secure and is easy and quite to remove.

muzzleloders042.jpg

KODIAKHU.jpg

SAO_SILO.jpg

Last edited:
My first Blackhawk I made my holster. Got a nice piece of saddle skirting and a knife and went to work. Sewed it up with an awl. It was a cross draw, with a flap. I punched a couple small holes near the hammer, and ran a nice thong through for a tie down. I held the flap down with a small button made from leather and a piece of leather bootlace. Oiled it up with bear grease. Worked really well. Cost about three bucks. One evening and a little leather. FWIW...
Kinda like this, but without the fancy snap...
flapholster.jpg

re

Last edited:
+++1 on El Paso. I just took delivery of my fourth Tom Threepersons holster from them. It is for my FA M97. Truly fantastic.

Also have Tom Threepersons holsters for another FA 97 and a Ruger Flattop.

They had a little sale last month so I've got another one on order for my FA 83.

I sound like an El Paso Saddlery salesman, maybe I am.
thumbup.gif

When I'm looking for a new holster, the first thing I do is decide what I'm going to use the gun for, that determines how I'm going to carry the gun, which determines the holster style, narrowing down my choices.

If I'm right handed and packing a rifle on a sling (hunting) I want a cross-draw hip holster so my handgun doesn't bang my rifle. If I'm on atv's or horses maybe a shoulder holster,etc.

I got the Galco SAO (Single Action Only) for my 7 1/2" Super Blackhawk. I can also use the same holster for my 6 1/2" Blackhawk.

The SAO can be worn either on the strong side or in a crossdraw fashion.

SAO_SS.jpg

SAO_CD_H.jpg

Well, to be correct there are three "slots". One slot is common, then you use one of the other two depending on how you want to carry your handgun. For me, I plan on using it crossdraw.

I have to go with claimbuster on this issue.

There are numerous good holster makers around, some old and some new, but El Paso Saddlery has been in the business for a long time, and they only deliver excellent quality products.

Back