Scope for 22-250

Chad1754

Alright guys Im looking for a decent scope for my Savage 22-250 with a heavy barrel. I wanna keep it in the 200 dollar price range I know Im asking alot and Ill get the usual buy a gun you can afford and a scope you cant but I know there has to be some out there you guys are using for coyotes that work just fine. I really want the predator quest 6x24x50 but seems every review is someone bashing a simmons. Lets hear some ideas on scopes for me it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

WOW, your not giving yourself much options with a budget of 200 bucks for optics, when you have such a nice rifle!

A high end scope, aftermarket trigger & stock, and you could have one [beeep] of a varmint rifle.

You might consider a Mueller 4x16x50mm. I have one with the sport dot which is an illuminated dot with 11 settings if you need it for low light and it has a German #4 reticle. It also comes with a screw on sunshade. I got mine from JoeBob's for $209 with free shipping and I like the scope. At the $200 price point it will be hard to beat.

Last edited:
Mattbee I have an accu trigger and accu stock, Its already one [Beeep] of a gun with the POS Fielders Edge 3x9x40 that came on it. I can still hit bullseye at 200 yards with a 15 mph wind. The options are there for 200 dollars just dont want to put 500 bucks into a scope when the gun only cost me 500.

I know it is a little more than you are wanting to spend but there are some amazing deals on Sightron SII Big Sky scopes at SWFA. Also Camera Land NY has a good deal on the 6.5-20X44 Viper. Both of these options are

Originally Posted By: chemist1I know it is a little more than you are wanting to spend but there are some amazing deals on Sightron SII Big Sky scopes at SWFA. Also Camera Land NY has a good deal on the 6.5-20X44 Viper. Both of these options are

I ordered a Simmons White tail classic 6.5x20x50 its on backorder right now through midway USA. I know all the Simmons bashers are going to have a field day with this but with 200+ reviews and only having 4 that are bad reviews I think Ill take my chances on it. If its a crappy scope Ill send it back and go from there. Once I get it I'll be sure to post pics of shot groups at 100,200,and 300. Thanks for the help everyone.

And this is why I always tell guys to buy their scope first! I know that I am excited to buy a new gun, and will prioritize the savings for a gun. A scope is not as fun to save for, so buy a scope equal or MORE expensive than the gun you intend to buy. Once you have purchased your scope, then the interest and excitement only grows and the priority to save for the gun only grows.

No one I know who has gone about it this way has been disappointed! But more than a few guys I know who have gone about it backwards, gun first then scope, have been plenty disappointed.

If you are in the position to buy a great scope the same day you purchase the rifle, great, ignore this recomendation.

I've heard a lot of nice things about the Whitetail over the years, Hopes it works out for you. In big scopes I have a Viper 6.5x20 from CL at $259 a few yearsa ago and a Mueler 8x32 SF 30mm($199 pre release special) that are just great. I had a Crossfire 6x24x50mm that worked great but was just too big and had to mount it so high i had to build up the stock so much I couldn't get the bolt out and had to go with an adjustable cheek piece. These are all paper punchers for me, My 22-250 hunting rig has a 2.5x10 on it and the rest of my coyote guns have 1x4x20 or 1.5x6x40mm scopes on them.

Originally Posted By: Chad1754Mattbee I have an accu trigger and accu stock, Its already one [Beeep] of a gun with the POS Fielders Edge 3x9x40 that came on it. I can still hit bullseye at 200 yards with a 15 mph wind. The options are there for 200 dollars just dont want to put 500 bucks into a scope when the gun only cost me 500.

When I first started shooting, I didn't want to spend money on good optics when I just spent what I thought was a lot on my rifle. After buying several Tascos and Simmons optics that couldn't withstand the recoil of my first deer rifle an old friend told me the following : A gun will only shoot as good as the glass you put on top of it.

I saved a little Longer and put a Leupold 3X9X40 on top of that walmart 7mm Ruger M77 deer rifle. First time out with that scope I shot sub-MOA groups.

From that point forward every rifle I ever purchased has a Leupold on top of it even if I have to save a little longer and wait to shoot the rifle after purchasing. And as the years have gone by most experienced and very accurate shooters will tell you the same that: A gun will only shoot as good as the glass you put on top.

I just happen to have had good experience with Leupold scopes, doesn't mean I'm telling you to rush and buy one. However I would suggest if you can find somethin in the 200 range that suits you go for it. If not, then save that $$$ and put it toward something you're confident you will be happy with. After recently getting married and havin children I know my "toy" money is few and far between than to spend it twice to get what I really wanted.

Also for 200 I have purchased three of the Leupold Rifleman series scopes from wally world that I'm extremely happy with.

Originally Posted By: j.hennesAnd this is why I always tell guys to buy their scope first! I know that I am excited to buy a new gun, and will prioritize the savings for a gun. A scope is not as fun to save for, so buy a scope equal or MORE expensive than the gun you intend to buy. Once you have purchased your scope, then the interest and excitement only grows and the priority to save for the gun only grows.

No one I know who has gone about it this way has been disappointed! But more than a few guys I know who have gone about it backwards, gun first then scope, have been plenty disappointed.

If you are in the position to buy a great scope the same day you purchase the rifle, great, ignore this recomendation.

I have to say that that's as sound a strategy as you'll find. I can't abide inferior glass, especially in the 6-24x and 8-32x class. I'd rather wait the extra time for more money to get excellent glass than rush into something less. I hate the foggy or edge distortion most budget glass has.

I've got an Elite 4200 6-24x on my 243WSSM, out coyote hunting awhile back we were looking at eyes in a tree we were pretty sure was a bobcat, my friend couldn't see what I was seeing while he held the spotlight through the budget glass he has on his .22-250. I told him to look through my scope while I held the light, he was blown away at how well he could see the branches and what was on them from 125 yards away.

That said I picked up a screaming deal on closeout Truglo 6-24x and an 8-32x, they are way better than I could ever have expected. They were shooting for the $300 market and seem to be an excellent buy there. I got them for $99 each.

One more thing to say about scopes, each manufacturer makes an array of models at different prices. The lower end models may be entirely different than one middle or a higher end model. These can even be made by other manufacturers. The person who decides all of one brand is crap because of an incident with a lower end model is missing out on specific models.

The Swift Premier 6-24x and 8-32x list at over $300 but can be found online for about $225/$250 or so. Recommending them for clear glass at their highest range, and perfect repeatability walking them "around the box" I've had people respond with, "I tried one and it was junk". What they tried was the entry grade not the Premier. If you haven't tried the specific model you don't know what you are talking about.

I had a 3.5X10 Whitetail classic years ago and it was a descent scope for the money, it bounced around a few different rifles and never gave me a issue, killed many a groundhog with it.

I topped my 22/250 with a Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40 with BDC reticle and couldn't be happier. Clear enough glass for a price under $200. May not be enough power for what you want, but works fine for me. Found out what fps I was shooting along with ballistic coefficient and use Nikon's spot-on calculator to print out chart for my rifle.

Originally Posted By: Chad1754Mattbee The options are there for 200 dollars just dont want to put 500 bucks into a scope when the gun only cost me 500.

Many of my rifles have scopes that cost as much or more than the rifle. If you can not see your target how can you hit it?? Cheap scopes, mounts and rings equal problems. I have one scope $$$ that I use on three rifles. I uses EGW one piece mounts and ARMS #19 mount with rings. Who said you have to have a scope for every rifle. You can not shoot them all at the same time. When, I go on a hunting trip I take two scopes with me for the same rifle. I take an extra rifle with iron sights. Want to ruin a $4000 hunting trip breaking a scope or drop your rifle.

All I am saying is think out of the box.

Back