Prescription Glasses made JUST FOR HUNTING

Ricky Bobby

Well ... Long story Short, I'm about ready to give up wearing contacts. With me working construction & being around a dusty environment most the time, plus having naturally dry eyes, contacts just haven't been the answer. I found myself in the ER at a local hospital yesterday, and was told I had a lacerated cornea that could have very well been caused from my contacts. I thought I had gotten something in my eye at work, but was glad to hear that nothing was in it.

Anyways, the one thing I did enjoy wearing contacts for was HUNTING & SHOOTING. I am curious how many people have eyeglasses that are dedicated just for this purpose? What kind of options are there? I would like maybe a quality set of glasses that are anti-glare + anti-fog just for when I'm a field. Is there a solution to my problem?

I really would appreciate lots of feedback on this subject! Thanks.
smile.gif

Good topic,

I would also appreciate all answers. I am going in for a checkup and new glasses this month or next, and since I have bifocals that is another issue.

I found this article, so far, just from doing a quick search:

High Quality Prescription Shooting Glasses from SafeVision, LLC
gunblast.com/LT_SafeVision.htm
High Quality Prescription Shooting Glasses from SafeVision, LLC . by Leroy Thompson. photography by Leroy Thompson. January 23rd, 2009

It may be a good start! Looks like this SafeVision is a local company. Might have to give them a call.

find an organized trap shoot near you. at the big trap shoots there will be a vendor there who can read your glasses to obtain a prescription and duplicate it. or if you have a card provided by your eye doctor with your prescription info on it. the vendor will custom make the glasses for you.

I had some made a couple of years ago. I had my choice of 3 lenses all different shades and just swap the lenses out in the one set of frames. the frames are totally adjustable also so you can move them higher and the lenses are oversized so it can cover everything all around your viewing area. they are also saftey glass strength. I liked the yellow lense for trap. made everything easier to pick up for me.

If you can find a 'shooting friendly' optometrist, he can make up almost any thing you need for shooting....

When I was doing a lot of handgun competitions and having problems with my bifocals, mine was describing how he could make a pair of glasses that would sharpen my dominate eye for focus on my front/rear sight at arms length and my 'weak' eye for focus on my targets within the 25-40 yard range...He cautioned however, that I could only wear them while shooting and not for any other times, or vision damage would likely occur...

I have two prescripton shooting glasses made up with single vision dominant eye corrected to the focal point for

Front sight -rifle
Front sight - pistol

other eye is corrected for single vision distance. Have a third pair single vision polaroid [ not corrected for near distance- not reading glasses].

My rifle and pistol shooting glasses are yellow..just because. If I were to do again a light grey tint.. a FL shooter we usually have bright sunlight

Single vision glasses are inexpensive compared to my progressives.

My Polaroid prescriptons are a pain when driving as can't see digital dash readouts.

I got started with this solution many years ago with first bifocal prescription when could not adjust shooting with bi-focals or later progressives..the vision was there, having to move my head like a bobble-doll was not.

Best.

Have a friend and customer that was an Optometrist. We experimented with quite a few different things. Polaroid is good. Tinting-- Yellow is a good all around tint, even in bright light. A nice lightish Vermillion makes black targets blacker for iron sight shooters. Even had a bifocal that focused at 5 1/2" for adjusting rear sights on Long Range BP Silhouette rifles,Vermillion tint. Can't beat good shooting glasses, worth the money. Cheers, Ottway

Originally Posted By: Unk
My Polaroid prescriptons are a pain when driving as can't see digital dash readouts.

Do you mean polarized?

Goggle or search....x-celoptical.com/AutumnGold. I am going thru to same thing with scratched corneas from contact lens and dry eye .

I just had lens replacement. So, I no longer need glasses for hunting or shooting. I do need them for close up. A blessing of getting older.

My regular bifocals didn't cut it for shooting - had my optometrist make a pair of shooting glasses - bigger lenses, yellow tint - what a difference!

I just oredered my new lens prescription for my DeCots....

Check out the DeCot Hy Wyd web site....infinite colors and ideas for shooters.....I've used em for 30 years .....quite inexpensive for the quality.

Back