what powder do you like (44 mag)

Ernest II

Im picking up my new Bisley Super Blackhawk Hunter 7.5 in stainless tomorrow. I use to reload for a super redhawk and it shot unbelievable groups at 50 yards. Cant remember whatthe powder charge was and bullet.ANy loads or powder you like may be helpful.
Daryl P.

I have several that I like. 9 grains of Unique or Universal with a 250 grain cast bullet is a old favorite. 14 grains of Bluedot with the same cast bullet is good if you want a bit more steam but not magnum. 22 grains of 2400 with the Sierra 240 grain JHC for full house stuff. Some will like H110 or 296 or AA #9 but they will all give you all the power most folks will want the a .44 Magnum.

I'm a big fan of the big .44 and still have the original 3 screw Super Blackhawk that I bought new almost 40 years ago. Shot it so much that Ruger had to put a new barrel in it some time ago. Don't shoot it much like I used to, but it still never fails to bring big smiles.

Back when testosterone levels were a lot higher, it was H110, W296 and 2400. Now that those days are gone, it is mostly Unique. I like 10.5 grs. and a Keith 240 gr. cast bullet.

I use more H110 (or W296), 2400 and Unique than anything else in .44 Mag. A couple of other very versatile powders are AA #9, and IMR-4227. It's somewhat tedious to use IMR-4227 in .44 Mag, because most charges are compressed and it takes some effort to get all the powder in the case. Still, it works very well.

I'm using Ramshot Enforcer with a 240 gr. hornady xtp. I love the way Enforcer goes through a powder measure. It is also my understanding that it is a good powder if your interested in reduced loads for practice.

I'm a fan of 2400 and Lil' Gun

With 240 gr XTPs I use 20.7 grs of 2400

With 300 gr XTPs I use 17.5 grs of Lil' Gun

Lil' Gun will give you the most velocity for 44 mag, some people have mentioned issues with getting consistent results with it but I have not had any problems at all. It's the only powder I've broke 1300 fps with a 3oo gr XTP bullet yet.

Originally Posted By: moonshine4422 grains of H110 and 240 grain Hornady XTP put down a three point muley pretty handily for me several years ago.

This is my 44 load to the tee.

They are one of the "best kept secrets" in bullets today IMO.

I'm not sure why more don't use them. They are priced VERY reasonably, and performance on deer/black bear, IME, has been nothing short of stellar.

I did side by side tests vs. Hornadys using 2 44 mags and 2 444 Marlins. They outperformed Hornady in every single aspect.

Everybody who does use them swears by them. With good reason.......

Originally Posted By: 2muchgun270gr Deep curls are the way to roll. Better than XTPS.......

Unless you got 1K free .44 XTP bullets when you bought a Hornady progressive press a few years back.
lol.gif
I'll be hunting with them until they are gone, I do my plinking with lead so that may be awhile.

Back