Prairie Dog shooting in South Dakota

Navarro

I need some help, I am going to Rapid City SD in August and I want to do some PD shooting. Anyone have any advice on where to go, I thought I would start at a gun Shop there and talk to them . I realize that most of the PD shooting is east of there. Does anyone have any names of guides or there phone #'s .I'm just trying to get a little info. before I get there
Thanks Navarro

I have been at LWR Ranch in Martin, SD. Sherry and John Wik are the finest. They will guide you to the Rosebud Reservation. Highly recommend. Check out their website at lwrranch.com

I will be darned if i will pay someone 300 a day to shoot pds. Things have gotten out of hand to charge to help a ranch rid themselves of some varmints.

Right on 17 --I suppose you make mioney where it is. Wern;t too many years ago they beged for shooters o;well the economy changed that. Not for me

There are quite a few boys from other states that come in and pay $1000 per day to hunt the colored chickens called pheasants. Most of which where taken out of the pen only 1-2 hrs before the hunt. Why would people complain about shooting some real wild p-dogs. My advice is there are plenty of people who either have too much money, or they are just ignorant enough to keep S. Dakota in the hunting/fishing business. The fish & game would put our mothers' up for sale if they could generate enough intrest!!!

I hope that you are not coming during the motorcycle rally because if you are and don't already have a hotel reservation you probably won't be able to get a room.
As for where to go, try contacting the Pine Ridge Tribal government they can tell you everything that you need to know (and the largest pdog town in the world is on the reservation). Otherwise try asking at Wall or Interior about anyone wanting pdog hunters (no gun stores so ask at filling stations).

Hello,

I have to agree with the fellow locals. Two weeks before and two weeks after the rally are the best time to find a room but not in between. And as far as PD's go, you almost have to be 100 miles east of RC to avoid the "pay-by-day" privately run outfitters because of the proximity to the second largest "city" in SD.

Like Bark and chris said, call the BLM guys at Rosebud and Pine ridge for hunts. You may have to pay for a Indian guide, buts its usually a minimal fee for getting to a really nice town. I find that the reservations are some of the best places to hunt just because the people want you there, and are friendly; from my personal experience.

One thing you have to do if you plan on hunting a reservation is that you need to buy a varmint lisence for that particular reservation. One permit is not good for the whole state. And another thing is you have to ask for a daily permit if you're only planning on shooting for a day or two. They try to push the season permit obviously because it costs more. Buyer discretion I guess.

If you dont mind doing some serious leg-work and heading off in the direction of "where the heck am I at" you could get by for just gas money and hotel; but only if you plan on being here for a week or so.

South Dakota would love to see you here.

JA in SD

If you can think of anything I missed, just PM me.(Navarro, sorry about that PM you sent me, I just never thought to check my messages)

I used to do a lot of PD shooting on the Buffalo Gap National Grasslands (specifically south of the badlands in the Canatta Basin). However you'd be advised to check at the Forest Service Office in Wall as some of these areas have been closed to shooting Prairie Dogs due to the re-introduction of the Black Footed Ferrett. They also have maps available there, and have been very helpful everytime I have been there. There used to be some great shooting not far from Wall, but I honestly have not been out there for about 8 years or so so am not sure what it is like now.

SD Handgunner

First thing is I want to thank each of You that has responded to my question about Shooting PD's in South Dakota. Yes I will be there during the rally week but I will be at a rv park and don't have to worry about Motel rooms and we are about 30 miles from the rally .
I will get infro. on the Indian Reservations and look them up , I do have a source that is getting a one day hunt up for me, but I want to shoot more than one day.
thanks again I really appreciate the information.
Navarro

The reason I pay someone to hunt PD's is the same reason I pay someone to squeeze my orange juice, bake my bread, haul my trash, etc. My spare time is very limited and I would much rather be shooting, even if it means paying someone, than driving around trying to find a place to shoot. Each to his own.

Definately give Rosebud or Pine Ridge tribal lands a try. To be honest with you, it is usually better than most private lodges & much more fair priced. After the begining of the seasons (p-dog, grouse, pheasant, deer, & elk) quite a few of us go almost exclusively on tribal land. Also terrific predator opportunities.

You might try this phone number (it was in the Rapid City Journal this weekend). 605-535-2162
Some guy looking for pdog hunters somewhere south of Rapid City.
In addition concerning your accomodations make sure that you have a confirmed reservation if you are ANYWHERE NEAR Sturgis. Along Interstate 90 this means up to 90 miles (Wasta to Wall) for anything including RV parks, hotel rooms, bed and breakfasts, rest stops and at times park benches. The number of people coming to that thing the last few years has been large enough to increase the population (at least during that week) of the state by 60% ( half a million people common) and they are all usually within 40 to 50 miles of Sturgis. As for trying get around in any town near that Rally lots of patience and the smallest vehicle possible are definatly recommended (if in Sturgis motorcycles best from noon [or earlier] to at least midnight).
Other than the above, enjoy your trip.

Chris 112: Thanks for the Phone# and I will definately call him and check on it .Kinda sounds like South Dakota's world changes during the sturgis week. Guess I can play golf and shoot PD's and maybe try to go into Sturgis the following Sat or Sun the 14-15 . I've heard you all get a little crowded during that time . I live in a small town here in Texas and I'll bet I've talked to at least a dozen people from just here that go every year.
thanks again for all of the info.
Navarro

My advice would be to talk to the local ranchers in the area, East and NorthEast. Not only will they know where to go, more than likely they'll take you there because they want the buggers dead more than you want to kill them. My family owns a ranch near Meadow, SD. About 20 miles out of Faith on Happy Hill Rd. called the Gruwell Ranch. Them and ranches around 'em are havin problems with Doggies and well as some Yotes. Give it a try.

Back