Rat shooting

wahoowad

I've recently been turned on to the fun of rat shooting. I have access to several dairy farms where my airguns are the weapon of choice. The rats come out at night and I like to be there to meet them.

Currently I'm using my Beeman R9 that shoots a .20 caliber 9.8 grain pellet. This setup is giving me about 15 ft-lbs of energy. I have a weak red LED light (shown) I can mount although this particular model is just a bit too weak. I also use my Wicked W400 green LED light but use some scotch tape on a scope cover to soften up that bright beam. I have a mid-power red LED light on order and hope that will work better.

C5BD4219-4178-4F52-87B0-AF5C8BCE719C-8778-00000A6750B6068D.jpg

This setup has worked pretty good for me. I've whacked about 100 fat Norway rats over the past 4 trips. They feed mostly on the silage the cows are fed in these feed troughs so I spend a lot of time patrolling these areas.

D1196293-80AE-42C7-9D32-1A91128C027C-10917-00000C67398A65E1.jpg

I'm also beginning to experiment with baiting to lure them to better shooting positions. So far I have tried Nutella and liquified catfood with so-so results. They have so much feed available to them they stay focused on that. It might take a few trips to get them focused on the bait.

DBA55B63-07ED-441E-AEB0-38FE925AE0FE-7292-000009862B80F479.jpg

569509A3-A7AF-48FD-8A3C-293D6D099228-10917-00000C673FD617B8.jpg

50BF2405-BFD4-4AEA-AF48-21F43C8EDAC0-7292-0000098624B790A3.jpg

99905616-87AE-4AE8-9247-DBE58DD14781-7292-00000986318BEF41.jpg

0310AEAB-E989-4DD1-BCC5-BBDB7A70BD90-8778-00000A652BC9B9DC.jpg

I know at least a couple of you get in on this action
thumbup1.gif
. How has your ratting/lamping been going lately?

I haven't done it since I was a kid me and my best friend used to do it with maglites taped to our .22s and just start blasting away lol. We used the .22 shorts in the barn and bumped up to regular LR 22 ammo when shot them off the corn bins. We used to sit in his room guns out the bed room window with one of the trucks or a 4 wheelers head lights on the corn play some video games peak out every now and then and play rat sniper lol it was a blast. We used the 12ga on occasion to lol.

For bait try some chunky peanut butter on a cracker up along a wall we used to do that it worked pretty good same with sunflower seeds in with it also.

Shooting rats is a lot of fun.

Would be nice to have a night vision scope on an air rifle, but I think the springer would wreck one. A PCP, however, would be great.

I toy with the idea of getting NV but so darn expensive. I also shoot them with PCPs...and have a used PCP heading my way from California that I hope is gonna be ideal for the task.

My brother has chickens,ducks and peahens and many rats, we have been shooting them with 22 birdshot works very good we go out at night after they roost put a little scratch out in the chicken yard and wait for the rats to come out for it.
He just built a new coop and tore down the old one but left some of the old plywood floor panels laying there for awhile, one day after groundhog hunting we took his JRT out there and I lifted up a 4x8 sheet of plywood flooring there was a ball of rats probly about a dozen and he let loose of the dog and she couldn't grab rats fast enough.
I don't know which was more fun shooting them or watching the dog get them.

Wahoo
Yes night rat shootin is a blast and really keeps you sharp for other varminting,as you know you have to be fast on the target and shot but gentle on the trigger.
I use Night Vision from my coyote hunting set up mounted on my Maruader rifle or Marauder pistol (carbine).. Great post! keep the pictures coming!!
Check out this old post.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...6338&page=1

Last edited:

Wahoowad,

Gen 1 night vision scopes are reasonably priced, and will work well with an illuminator at rat-shooting distances.

I purchased an ATN Spartan 410 (5X magnification) for slightly over $500. It comes with an illuminator that will easily allow for 30 yard shots. You can get a 2.5X or a 4X a bit cheaper.

Thanks David. I would hate to spend so much for simply hunting rats....although it sure is fun. The rats react to both my green and red lights and I know some kind of NV would really improve my fun. I'd like to find something around 6x as that is the sweet spot on my scope.

Went again last night...popped easily twice what is shown here. They can still jump down a hole even with a head shot.

D6F51EED-D733-49DB-9F92-EE49276D3D37-18126-00001379472F2DF1.jpg

That is just totally awesome and glad to see you having some real fun taking those buggers out.

I just want to warn you though, rats should only be handled with gloves on as they carry many serious zoonotic viral and bacterial diseases which are communicable to humans, so be careful with their bodies and blood, urine, and feces, even their fleas are dangerous as well.

Just some advice on caution when handling their carcasses...otherwise have at it!

Wow, you are really working the rats over. Must be a lot of them.

I think the ATN Spartan model 410 with it's 5X magnification would serve you well. In addition, the scope (combined with some DC powered IR lights) could turn a high powered rifle into a good coyote getter over bait - that is, if you have a place you could hunt from and keep warm while waiting.

Wahoowad,

The scope is heavy and large, as are most NV scopes. Initially the weight and size seemed way out of proportion to my rifle. After I got used to it, I don't pay any attention to it now.

I purchased mine from Sportsman's Guide for $539. It has a 2-year warranty and Sportsman's Guide will replace it or refund the money on request within that time.

My first scope worked great up until about the 19th month that I had it. It then developed a red streak in the lower right quadrant of the view. It didn't affect the crosshair at all, and actually I took a coyote with it, with the red streak present, but I sent it back to Sportsman's Guide and got a replacement, which was fast and easy. This new scope is working well at this time.

As to the scope developing problems, I will say that I am aware of other much higher priced scopes failing too. I know a guy who purchased a $3500 Gen 3 scope, only to have it fail within 5 minutes of use. I am aware of others who paid close to $1500 for a scope (two guys that I know) and both failed. So, considering the money I paid for the Spartan, it's warranty and the great time I have had with it, it's reasonable.

I took three coyotes, a large bobcat, two or three possums, two or three skunks, and a raccoon with that first scope. Hunting away from the coyote bait site requires a good illuminator.

The illuminator that comes with the scope is only good for maybe 50 yards. I did shoot a skunk with it at slightly over that distance. I purchased a Luna laser illuminator that added distance for me, but it was expensive at $350. I can now shoot up to 100 yards with the Gen 1 scope and the Luna. For rat shooting or close shots, the illuminator that comes with the scope will serve you well.

If you're like me, you just can't afford a Gen 3 scope, nor even a Gen 2 at this time. That doesn't mean that I can't experience night vision, however. I have enjoyed the heck out of using this scope. While a Gen 1 is very lacking in some instances, such as calling coyotes, it has it's place such as in bait hunting with the use of IR lighting, and should work well for rat sniping. You don't need a Gen 2 or 3 scope for rat sniping, nor hunting over bait.

For a Gen 1 scope, from what I have read, from considering magnification, and from using my own scopes, I will say that you will be hard pressed to get a better one than the Spartan 410.

Here are a few photos of my scope and how I put it to use. A video clip is at the bottom.

NVPossum2.jpg

02-30.jpg

05-16.jpg

DSC03196.jpg

Skunk1-1.jpg

DSC01998.jpg

DSC03156.jpg

Spartan2.jpg

NightVisionTarget.jpg

Wow, great write up. Thanks.

I did a lot of googling on this thing this morning. More complaints than praise, although I take that with a grain of salt. Multiple people seem disappointed in the magnification. It claims 5x but say it seems like 2x at best. I do need some magnification since these rats can be small or they sometimes only expose just a part of their head. I will experiment with reducing my magnification next time I go out and see if I can get by with less.

Another option I'm considering, and one pretty popular with youtube ratshooters, is to affix a compact camcorder with night capabilities behind the scope. I'm keeping my eye open for a used camera with this night capability.

I wish we were closer so I could check out your camera.

Well, the scope seems like a 5X, or maybe at least a 4X to me. Maybe it's just my particular scopes. If that's the case, then I can't imagine getting anything less.

Yea, it would be good for you to check out the scope. I wish you could look through mine to the 60 yard bait site, with the IR light burning. Shooting something small at that distance, such as a rabbit, would not be a problem. I think I probably could hit a rat too, just guessing. I definitely could get the crosshair on it, but not sure if the trajectory and accuracy of the rifle would allow it. I do think I could pull it off, however.

Here is yet another scope you might wish to consider - the Nite Site built in the UK. I have been in touch with this company and the scope can be shipped to the US. I also know a guy in the UK that I have been corresponding with for quite a while. He has one and gives it a very good review.

There are two models availabe, the NS50 and the NS200. I personally would choose the NS200. It costs slightly over $900 US. The NS50 is cheaper. It consists of a camera that attaches to a daytime scope. It has a monitor for viewing the crosshair and target.

Here are some links:

The company
http://www.nitesite.co.uk/

http://www.nitesite.co.uk/products.html

Rat shooting with the NS200

Rat shooting with the NS50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-84aAWbyFM&feature=related

Rabbit shooting with the NS50

Fox shooting with the NS200

There are several Youtube clips pertaining to the Nite Site.

Just one more to consider.

I grew up on the banks of the Ohio river & every flood season the 'MEN' of our community would go to river armed with their home-defenders & shoot the rats that would be floating by on brush. What great fun that was. Those days are gone for sure. Now you would be fined or incarcerated for killing vermin in city limits.
Whenever I have the oportunity to do a public service now I'll break out 1 of my 4 single shot 22s & a handful of 'CB' shorts & do my duty. Haven't found a rat the CBs wont kill &, IMO, quiteter than airgun.
What a load of fun!!! Of course I could use anything I want & a 12 ga. will 'FIX' about anything.

Wahoowad,

The Nite Hunter Sniper Cam looks interesting. I can't seem to find any real information on it, no photos from the company, nor price. Do you have any more info on it?

I noticed some YouTube clips about the scope, but there's not much information out there about it, nor a price. A few minutes ago I sent an e-mail to the company for more information.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
I noticed some YouTube clips about the scope, but there's not much information out there about it, nor a price. A few minutes ago I sent an e-mail to the company for more information.

Yeah, that is my concern too. It is new. I have pricing info - $550eu.

Back