AR 15 17 hornet ??????

Why not?

Seems we hunters never get enough toys that are different. We have so many calibers already for hunting this and that, but still yearn for more. Look at all the wildcat cartridges out there.

Not sure about the rim and proper feeding in an AR, but if it worked, seems to me it could be a neat little fur saver.

It's probably possible, but the gas may not be enough. It's kind of on that line of whether or not a blowback action would be better. The 5.7 uppers necked down to .17 run into problems with hotter loads, but won't reliably cycle a standard AR. I think a .17 fireball or a .17 Pee Wee on an Oly .30 carbine AR would be easier and cost less. There's the mag issue as well. The Oly .30 carbine rifles came with a mag well adapter block to use M1mags.

a better alternative would be the 4.6x30mm variants: 17x30mm, 17 VHA. they have been made in AR version already. awesome shooters and very quiet, basically it can handle higher pressures than the rimmed .22 hornet wildcats.

17tac

What are you talking about "rimmed .22hornet wildcat"????

Just curious????

17 Hornet is a center fire, maybe I am not following what your talking about.

Originally Posted By: Pbchucker17tac
What are you talking about "rimmed .22hornet wildcat"????
Just curious????
17 Hornet is a center fire, maybe I am not following what your talking about.

It has a rimmed base it headspaces off of...like the 30-30.

I bet magazines and proper feeding with the little rimmed hornet case would be a nightmare. Sounds like a money pit with end result not justifying the time, money, and end result. Just build a 17 Furball and load it down (if you want reduced performance for some reason)with an adjustable gas block if cycling is an issue. TTT

Originally Posted By: TnTnTnI bet magazines and proper feeding with the little rimmed hornet case would be a nightmare. Sounds like a money pit with end result not justifying the time, money, and end result. Just build a 17 Furball and load it down (if you want reduced performance for some reason)with an adjustable gas block if cycling is an issue. TTT

Just get a 17-223 and call it a day. Mags bolt everything will be easier. A 17-223 will have cheaper brass, more power, better feeding. I don't know where you would find mags or a bolt face for the hornet...

Originally Posted By: MPFDOriginally Posted By: TnTnTnI bet magazines and proper feeding with the little rimmed hornet case would be a nightmare. Sounds like a money pit with end result not justifying the time, money, and end result. Just build a 17 Furball and load it down (if you want reduced performance for some reason)with an adjustable gas block if cycling is an issue. TTT

Just get a 17-223 and call it a day. Mags bolt everything will be easier. A 17-223 will have cheaper brass, more power, better feeding. I don't know where you would find mags or a bolt face for the hornet... 17-.223 sounds fun!!

Back