Diaphragm call help?

frankr

Besides practicing with my Carver Calls rubber set, I went out to Cabelas and picked up the Primos Diaphragm calls (TC), I know they aren't the best but hey they were there and I had an itch.

Now I have been practicing and I have some questions (all are with the standard diaphragm because I don't like the "sonic dome" diaphragm)

1. I am finding it easier to be loud and hold notes better with the higher pitched sounds (hurt puppy etc...) what techniques do you use to maintain the low howls?

2. When I really get into it I am still salivating like a dog and sometimes still spit comes out, should I bend to call to fit my pallat better?

3. Do you move the diaphragm forward or backwards when making different sounds? I am finding it easier to do the howls with it further back but wounded prey or pup in distress with it further forward.

Thanks and any other tips would be appreciated (I know I need to get some better calls, I just want to see if this is for me)

Originally Posted By: frankrBesides practicing with my Carver Calls rubber set, I went out to Cabelas and picked up the Primos Diaphragm calls (TC),

Not sure what you mean that you picked up the Primo's calls and then call them TC...We have no affiliation with Primo's and I tried them once and found they are hard to use, are monotone, and the sonic dome kills all ability to manipulate that call and get the different tones you need throughout a call sequence.

To help answer your question about using them. I'm not sure what the problem is on spitting and salivating on them...When you put a piece of gum in your mouth, do you constantly spit? Well, no. Same concept. Just blow air across it just like you would with any open-reed call. If the tape is too big for your mouth, trim in down to fit. It's simple and won't change the sound of the call. Just don't cut on the latex portion of the call. I think a lot of people over-think using them. Just put the call in your mouth against the palate, latex forward, apply tongue pressure and blow bursts of air across the reeds. Simple as that.

Also, you are right about certain sounds being easier to do in relation to the position that the call is in your mouth...For higher pitched howls, bring the call a little more forward in your mouth and increase tongue pressure. For deeper howls, place the call a little further back and decrease tongue pressure a little bit. For barks, move the call forward and tilt at a 45 and blow quick bursts of air across the reeds with little tongue pressure.

For distress, same concepts. If you want higher pitched sounds, use a lot of tongue pressure. For more mellow sounds, decrease tongue pressure...Raspiness can be increased or decreased with the type of cut in the call.

I know some guys say they have one call that will do it all. That is just ridiculous. Sure, I admit fully that you can make basically all the sounds with a basic 2-reed with no cuts, but IMHO, they suck and are mediocre at best and mediocrity just doesn't sit well with me. I want to sound the best I possibly can and to achieve that you have to have a diaphragm voiced for a particular sound you are wanting to make. For instance, if I have a diaphragm that will do excellent howls, that call is not going to make good bird distress sounds. Sure, I can make bird sounds, but they are gonna sound like crap compared to the bird sounds I can make on my MFK Fang Cut diaphragm.

I also hear a lot of guys saying just use an 'ol Turkey diaphragm, they are all the same. To me, that just shows me their experience level(actually inexperience level) with diaphragms and that they don't know how to use one properly and aren't able to manipulate those reeds and cuts the way they are intended.

The best advice I can give you, is take it from someone who's called with diaphragms relentlessly and has taken the time to learn "properly" the way to use them. Sure, I could go out an buy a hand-call and then all I'm hearing is a plastic reed slapping either a plastic or wood tone-board. That buzzing sound you get from that bothers me beyond belief. I hate listening to them anymore after I started using diaphragms. It's like night and day the realism difference.

Hope this helps to answer your questions a little better. If I can help ya anymore, just give me a shout...Also, go by and check out our website. We have a good selection of howling and distress diaphragms and if you have any questions hollar at me and I can recommend one for a particular sound you may be wanting. Thanks man and our website is www.MFKGAMECALLS.com

Jason, Id assume he means (TC)- Turkey Call. And you pretty much summed up a lot on that reply.

I can say that there are guys I have talked to that try the turkey calls just to get used to the use of a diaphragm I suppose. Most of those guys have since got their hands on the MFK diaphragms and havent looked back since. There is NO comparison when it comes to MFK Game Calls Diaphragms, plain and simple. It starts with the highest quality latex and is then finished by taking care to ensure EVERY call is made to the same high standard.

A turkey call is made for ? . . . . you guessed it - TURKEYS. Why on earth would you want to use a turkey call to try and call predators, whether it be coyotes, fox, or bobcats. Get a call specifically designed for high volume and set up for use in heavy predator calling situations.

Back