can cyotes see infrared light

While coyotes cannot see the IR beam itself, they can definately see the source of the IR light (red glow) being emitted from your IR flashlight. You can try this yourself.....go out in the pitch dark, have your friend turn on your IR flashlight, step back 50 or 100 yards and you can clearly see the IR source. If you can see it so can a coyote. I have had coyotes spook from seeing it but normally they don't notice it until they get inside 100 yards. Kevin

I think we need to explain the source of the IR light here so that folks understand a little bit better.

The IR light emitted from an IR LED is NOT monochromatic, it covers a normal bell curve of wavelength emissions with the majority of the light being IR but a minority of the light being upper red visible light as well. If it is a 850nm IR LED, it is putting out wavelengths from 650nm up to 950nm, with the majority around 850nm, but not all. Therefore you can detect some visible red with the naked eye, as can a coyote.

The IR light emitted from an IR LASER IS monochromatic and all one wavelength, ie if you have an 850nm or 940nm IR laser there is absolutely NO human or animal on earth that can see any of it unless you are Superman.

The difference between an IR Laser and an IR LED is the laser is monochromatic while the LED is not, that is why you see some red from an LED IR source and NOT from a laser IR source.

No mammal sees IR light at all in any way, shape, or form, including humans and coyotes.

Just because you can only see a slight red glow from any IR source does not mean that it is safe to look it, it is NOT safe and NOT a good idea....

I thinks rats see it a tad,I have experimented with them and I dont think its the glow of the unit.In some way they may see some of the spectrum..

Man I hate to make my first post a negative one but I guess I'm going to ave to video to show you that deer and coyotes do see the IR.

I have a pulsar recon recording unit with a Torch as a secondary IR attached. I will try and get out this week do some recording and let the video speak for itself.

I was out tonight playing with the ir laser and ir eagle tac. I walked down range and looked back at the eagle tac ir. I was amazed how much ir red llight glows.

I dont believe they can see it but i know they can see the red glow once you move it are they stare into it. When im in my climber owls, foxes, deer, coyotes dont get spooked when i have the area flooded with ir. I also have a bait area that has cheap ebay ir lights facing down from about 12 feet down. They dont react when they are underneath it and i turn it on.

As for your video try shooting it from an elevated position and seeif you get the same results. They probably saw the red glow and you moved.

Key to ir is to turn it on when you ready to shoot or put it on pressure switch.

Originally Posted By: Zen ArcheryMan I hate to make my first post a negative one but I guess I'm going to ave to video to show you that deer and coyotes do see the IR.

I have a pulsar recon recording unit with a Torch as a secondary IR attached. I will try and get out this week do some recording and let the video speak for itself.

Thanks, but it is physically impossible for any human, coyote or deer to see any IR light, what you are seeing or what they are seeing is RED visible light, NOT IR light.

In my post I called it the "IR Source" not the IR light. They cannot see the beam of IR being emitted on them or the ground around them, however, when they get close they absolutely can see the "IR source" being emitted from your IR device. Laser IR units also put out an "IR Source" that can be seen by coyotes and you. Based upon our R&D, once the wavelength gets up past 1080nm you can barely see the IR source. Unfortunaately a Gen 3 device can only barely see it too, not enough to really do any good. Kevin

Another good trick to keep coyotes from spooking at the IR source is to keep in on them once you have them coming in. Taking it off of them and then back on creates a flashing affect that they pick up easier. They are programed to movement. You can also keep the beam of light just over the top of their head until they get in range then put on for the shot. Stole this from the conventional light guys ! Kevin

Here is a graph of the relative spectral sensitivities of the human eye vs. the relative spectral sensitivity of a GEN III night vision optic.

Human%20Vision%20and%20PVS%2014%20Vision.jpg

As you can see, the peak of sensitivity for human beings is in the green (550nm) wavelengths with the least ability to detect either purple (400nm) or dark red (720nm) wavelengths at either end of the visual spectrum.

The reason being is that the three retinal cone opsin proteins that are excited by these wavelengths to detect visible light in mammals (warm blooded animals including but not limited to humans, coyotes, rats, etc,) are only excited specifically by these "visible" light waves, the entire rest of the electromagnetic spectrum is 100% totally invisible because all those other wavelengths do not interact with any of the three highly evolutionary conserved opsin proteins in warm blooded animals.

In particular, the red light wavelengths have the weakest amount of electromagnetic energy of ALL the visible light wavelengths and are the most difficult to detect and see and differentiate.

Everything over 720nm is invisible to humans and coyotes and must be detected with a NVO, since it is invisible without a NVO.

If you or a coyote see a red light at night, you are NOT seeing IR, you are seeing visible light because visible light is not invisible, however IR light has been invisible light for millions of years and will continue to be invisible to the naked eye without the use of NVOs for the foreseeable future....
grin.gif

P.S. - it is also quite valuable information to note that NVO GEN III optics are MOST SENSITIVE in the 750nm to 850nm range!

Originally Posted By: SkyPupHere is a graph of the relative spectral sensitivities of the human eye vs. the relative spectral sensitivity of a GEN III night vision optic.

Human%20Vision%20and%20PVS%2014%20Vision.jpg

As you can see, the peak of sensitivity for human beings is in the green (550nm) wavelengths with the least ability to detect either purple (400nm) or dark red (720nm) wavelengths at either end of the visual spectrum.

The reason being is that the three retinal cone opsin proteins that are excited by these wavelengths to detect visible light in mammals (warm blooded animals including but not limited to humans, coyotes, rats, etc,) are only excited specifically by these "visible" light waves, the entire rest of the electromagnetic spectrum is 100% totally invisible because all those other wavelengths do not interact with any of the three highly evolutionary conserved opsin proteins in warm blooded animals.

In particular, the red light wavelengths have the weakest amount of electromagnetic energy of ALL the visible light wavelengths and are the most difficult to detect and see and differentiate.

Everything over 720nm is invisible to humans and coyotes and must be detected with a NVO, since it is invisible without a NVO.

If you or a coyote see a red light at night, you are NOT seeing IR, you are seeing visible light because visible light is not invisible, however IR light has been invisible light for millions of years and will continue to be invisible to the naked eye with the use of NVOs for the foreseeable future....
grin.gif

P.S. - it is also quite valuable information to note that NVO GEN III optics are MOST SENSITIVE in the 750nm to 850nm range!

Good post as always.

P.S. I underlined another statement you made for those white phosphor NVD's with clever marketing that somehow white is better to see that green phosphor.
sneaky2.gif

Vic

Exactly, Vic, that is the reason the military went with GREEN NVOs instead of white....white is a mixture of all the other visible colors combined into one, we are much more sensitive to green wavelengths than all others combined....

I thought the same, that you cannot see the upper wavelengths. But have come to the realization that you can. Get a sharp cutoff IR band pass filter at any wavelength you choose, 780, 850, 904,940. This will eliminate any wavelength above or below so you know the exact passing wavelength. Place it in front of the source. I did this and I can still see the source. Now keep in mind that the longer the wavelength the higher power from the source is needed to be to be seen, but will still be seen. I am using 904nm 10mw laser for an illuminator and can see the source. It is only the size of a pinhead at the source and very dim, but animals do not notice it. I have a 980nm 35mw that I cannot see at all. Be careful if laser is not diffused, can damage your eye. I have used 850nm and 780nm @150mw on coyotes and they do see it, I can see it as well. The source is bright red to me and several other people and can be seen for hundreds of yards, with bandpass filter or without. A very high grade bandpass filter will pass 95% of desired wavelength or better. When you try and look thru it it looks like a mirror. Place laser behind it and laser looks the same no drop in intensity because it passes 780nm wavelength like a clear piece of glass, but a red laser 650nm you can't tell if its on or off 100% blocked. So don't believe everything you read, spend a few $ and try it. I think eyes are like ears some people have higher sensitivity and higher spectrum. Place your 780nm ir filter in front of datorch and see if you see red glow? 780 filter only passes 760 and above. Now look at red or green laser thru filter do you see them?

Last edited:
Back