Ruger M77 Bull Barrel 25-06 ?

I went to the local store to get my deer tag and saw a Ruger M77 tang safety in 25-06. It has a bull barrel and is rather heavy. It is in a standard stock not a target stock. I took the bolt out and the barrel looks clean. The action is smooth but there are some issues. I think it was a truck gun because the stock is beat up and the bolt handle has the blueing rubbed off. The last issue is the crown. It looks clean but the blueing is rubbed off there also. The guy at the store said a guy out west had it and used it to shoot coyotes. They are asking $350 for it. Do you think it would be worth messing with? I would shoot it first and then recrown if needed, have the trigger worked, Dura-Coat the barrel and restock or refinish the stock. I am looking for honest thougths and ideas. I have an trap gun that I do not use that I could use as a trade and the guy at the shop said to talk about the price with the manager.

Sounds 'good' to me IF you want a heavy 25/06. Rugers are built like tanks and are tough. Cosmetics within reason don't matter too much to me. Mechanical issues and bore condition would shape my decision. TTT

I have one that was given to me from my dad. It was very front heavy. I had it cut to 20 inch on barrel and am very pleased with the way it shoots and handles compared to the way it was. I redid the stock myself. The ruger wood is nice. I am going to use for deer this season.

My first CF was a tang safety 77 in 7x57 which I still have.It's not a bull barrel but up until a few years back it shot factory ammo from 139-175 gr between 1 and 1 5/8" at 100yd.I've put 760 rounds through it and never had a problem.Any chance you can shoot it or have a gunsmith check it first?

I just called the gun shop and talked to the manager. He said that an older guy had it and used it to hunt speed goats. He went out every year for years and this was his #1 rifle. He traded it in for a crossbow because he is no longer able to make it out west. He told the manager that it was accurate.

I get 1in or better at 100yds. I was satisfied with it especially after shortening the barrel. I have a cheap scope on it that i will not mention because the very mentioning of the Centerpoint scopes on this forum sends some guys into a downward reflux spiral. I have a load worked up with 120 BTSP that shoots well in this rifle. Looking forward to gun season.
I also have one of these in a 22-250 that my dad glass bedded the action many years ago. I am thinking about doing the same thing with it so that it would handle better in the field. If all i did was bench shoot it wouldnt matter about the long barrel.

Last edited:
I do not think you will get hurt at that price, buy it before someone else does.

I have owned several tang safety M77 all got some custom work before they were truly accurate. Not that they were bad out of the box.

the two best bangs for your dollar on the M77

1 Bed the action or at least the lug area
2 adjust trigger; can be done by a competent gunsmith do not attempt it yourself as they are difficult to adjust properly

I had a M77 re-barreled some years ago to 6.5-08 now days .260 Remington that would put 10 bullets inside 1/2 inch all day, finally shot the barrel out, it will still shoot less than a 1 inch at 100 yards.

Never owned a 25-06 but developed a load for a close friend that had M77 in 25-06 all I can remember is I used H4831 powder. It shot very well for an out of box M77.

good luck

One nice thing about the 25/06 Ruger rifles, they have the same barrel contour as the 300 Win mag + 338 Win mag . Ruger m77 s . If the stock is thrashed it's usually not too hard to find a take off factory stock from one of them .. For a calling rifle I really like the Houge Overmold stock. Even one from a 375 Ruger fits. A lot of times if a barrel won't shoot well all it needs is to be cut back an inch and recrowned.

Last edited:
For 350 you cant go wrong, I'd snag it up in a heartbeat...

If the guy says it was a shooter and used it for antelope, then I"m sure its accurate enough for what your wanting to do with it...

I"ve had 4 25-06s over the last 15 years myself and everyone seems to be very accurate and not picky with loads. Loaded for a couple few more and same results, not very picky and very accurate.

In fact my first 25-06 was a stainless/synthetic ruger and I used it to get into LR shooting/hunting out to 600 yards and it did very well. It was also very accurate for a sporter rifle. I had trigger done, muzzle brake, and worked up my own loads for it.

I would expect under MOA easy with handloads and a trigger job from a bench.

My current 25-06 is a model 70 classic sporter w/24" bbl and it shoots under 1/2 MOA with several loads and its not a heavy barrel.

I have owned several Ruger 77 thumb tangs. Some heavy barrels among them. Mine were all very accurate.
One rifle would literally put them all in the same hole, after minimal bedding and load work. Extremely accurate.
All have been able to shoot under 1/2" with a little work (not much) including a .300 Win Mag I had (wish I still had it, very nice).
Rugers have an angled front lug, which is a little bit more difficult to bed, but nothing too bad.
As for the stock, I shoot my rifles and take them out alot. While they are not abused, they do have a few nicks and dings and maybe a scratch or two. I personally don't care.
For that price, I would snag it in a heart beat.
Excellent rifles, for the money.
I honestly don't know how many I have right now, but I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one, especially at that price.

re

They have good enough triggers for most hunters, as adjusted by you so save the money and adjust it yourself vs paying someone to turn the screw.

I have the medium weight 25-06 and it is heavy, but a decent 3/4" gun after reloading and glass bedding it. Some of the heavies had better barrels, as the story goes. I forget how to tell if this one is the better barrel or not, but at that price I wouldn't hesitate. Tang safeties are one of the better values in used guns.

Allen

I have the same gun. Ruger M77 Varmint shoots better than I can. Buy it if you don't like it and it won't shoot I'll take it off your hands at that price.

Well I went back and dropped off a shotgun to see what they will offer as a trade. I will find out later today. I was able to look closer at the rifle. It needs a face lift but that can be done after I shoot it to see if it is a shooter. The biggest thing it needs is to be taken apart and cleaned. So, now it is up to the trade offer. I found my shotgun on GunBr#@$# last night from $350-450 in value.

Back