Ramshot Tac powder for AR.

varmit_master

The gun shop guy he shoots a RRA ar and likes this powder. He said try this the sierra 69 gr and hornady 75 gr bthp bullets. Should I used lake city or federal brass? Does anybody have any loads worked up with this powder. TY Richard

TAC has worked extremely well for me with a 60 gr. V-Max. It meters like water, burns clean, provides good velocities and the accuracy in my load with that bullet in my rifle is outstanding. Load data is available on the Ramshot website.

I agree with GC.

I will say however that TAC is hard to work with on the top end of pressure, but if you want a powder that meters well and performs well with a wide range of bullet weights and are not interested in pushing the limit, TAC is great. I just bought a 8 pound jug for my reserves.

It's worth a try but I haven't had the great groups with TAC for any bullet over 60 grs...it's the best powder I've used for 50-60 gr bullets but for heavyweights it's hasn't performed nearly as well as Varget in my rifles.

The brass choice depends on the year, the newer Federal brass is supposedly good. Myself I'll stick with LC or Winchester commercial until I can't get them. The older Federal brass was pretty thing and soft.

25.1 gr TAC, Nosler 60 gr BT, Win NT cases, CCI 400 primer, bullet set to cannelure, light crimp with Lee factory crimp die. Most accurate load I have found for a Black Hole Weaponry barreled AR I have. 2890+/- fps from 17.5" barrel.

Then I may just not open it and save it and take it back and traded for a can of varget. That would give 4+ pds of varget and I have a 8 pd keg of varget on order to. I need a powder that will work with the 69 gr and 75 gr. I know varget will.

TAC shoots fine with 69gr bthp. Depends what length your rifle is and what twist it is. Mine shoots alot better in my rifle length gas system than it did in my mid length. Just gotta play with charge. I couldn't get varget to shoot as well as TAC in mine. It also shot great in my old 1-9 twist Stevens with the same bullet.

TAC is really a good choice in the heavier bullets like 75 to 80 grainers.

For the 55's I really liked Ramshot Xterminator (I think that's what they called it). Great velocity and seemed to burn pretty cool in comparison to H4895.

HTH

I had really spotty results with Varget being thrown from a Harrell powder measure. I liked Varget ok.

Originally Posted By: varmit_masterThe gun shop guy he shoots a RRA ar and likes this powder. He said try this the sierra 69 gr and hornady 75 gr bthp bullets. Should I used lake city

I run TAC out of my RRA AR. I also use it in my 223 bolt gun with the same said bullets. Use a lot of LC brass also.

Burns clean and great accuracy......

Originally Posted By: r15remI only use TAC in my rra predator pursuit. 25.5 grains under a 55 grain nosler balistic tip. Super accurate.

I use the same in my RRA PP but with a 55Gr. V-Max. Same load works in my T/C contender in .223 Rem. 10" barrel.
thumbup.gif

DAB

Originally Posted By: DABOriginally Posted By: r15remI only use TAC in my rra predator pursuit. 25.5 grains under a 55 grain nosler balistic tip. Super accurate.

I use the same in my RRA PP but with a 55Gr. V-Max. Same load works in my T/C contender in .223 Rem. 10" barrel.
thumbup.gif

DAB

How bad is the flame report in your 10" Contender barrel using that load? I rarely ever shoot my Contender anymore, I don't like the fire ball blocking my whole scope every shot. If I could find a decent shooting load without the huge fireball it would be a lot of fun to shoot.

Originally Posted By: Dixiedog1Originally Posted By: DABOriginally Posted By: r15remI only use TAC in my rra predator pursuit. 25.5 grains under a 55 grain nosler balistic tip. Super accurate.

thumbup.gif

DAB

How bad is the flame report in your 10" Contender barrel using that load? I rarely ever shoot my Contender anymore, I don't like the fire ball blocking my whole scope every shot. If I could find a decent shooting load without the huge fireball it would be a lot of fun to shoot.

Try IMR-4227. It works well in the Contender. If you can't find data for a starting load shoot me a PM.

Originally Posted By: SmokelessOriginally Posted By: Dixiedog1Originally Posted By: DABOriginally Posted By: r15remI only use TAC in my rra predator pursuit. 25.5 grains under a 55 grain nosler balistic tip. Super accurate.

thumbup.gif

DAB

Try IMR-4227. It works well in the Contender. If you can't find data for a starting load shoot me a PM.

I've got IMR 4227 too....I'll have to give it a shot.

You might have a YHM Phantom flash suppressor installed on the contender. It is relatively inexpensive but very effective in my ad hoc tests.

Originally Posted By: Dixiedog1Originally Posted By: DABOriginally Posted By: r15remI only use TAC in my rra predator pursuit. 25.5 grains under a 55 grain nosler balistic tip. Super accurate.

thumbup.gif

DAB

Never noticed the flame
blushing.gif
Maybe I am closing my eyes
lol.gif
really I haven't noticed. I take a look see next time I shoot it.

DAB

Back