Pronghorn Horns

Mason_Jarr

I might have shot my first Pope and Young entry animal. I took a pronghorn on Monday and have green scored it at 71.5. The P&Y minimum for pronghorns is 67. My question is, what can I expect for shrinkage over the next 60 days? Since I'm dealing with horn and not bone, I'm thinking they won't change much at all, but I've never had one scored before so I'm not sure. Any input?

Hard to say. I guess it would depend one all sorts of factors. Humidity,climate,temp, amount of moisture in the horn before the drying process began..........

I did some further research and one scorer (with a good bit of experience) suggests they average about 1.8% shrinkage over the 60 days. So, in my case, the 71.5 inches should be around 70.25 in 60 days. It should still be above the minimum.

I had to quit posting pictures of myself on the internet because I got tired of being stalked! I do, however, have some pics of the pronghorn....

CDY_0006.jpg

A trail cam pic before the season opened.

CDY_0085.jpg

Trail cam pic just seconds before I shot him.

IMG_0544.jpg

Post shot picture. (I was by myself so I couldn't take any good photos)

IMG_0546.jpg

Another angle.

I also have a video clip from the trail cam that shows the arrow passing through, but I don't know how to post videos on here.

Nice goat! Did you cut the anus out of it to add to your lure?
Wish I lived closer just so I could hang with you and Gene. Then again, if I did, you'd probably move. Lol

Email me the video and I'll put it on youtube.

Originally Posted By: crapshootNice goat! Did you cut the anus out of it to add to your lure?
Wish I lived closer just so I could hang with you and Gene. Then again, if I did, you'd probably move. Lol

Email me the video and I'll put it on youtube.

I did cut out the butt hole. I'm working on a new lure that draws in Nevadans. Can you smell it? Ha! Since I went back to trapping, Gene and I don't get out much anymore. With prices on coyotes creeping back up, I need to get together with him again. We called and shot way more than I get trapping.

I'll send you the clip, but I'm not sure if I still have your EM address. Go ahead and send it again just in case.

I don't know about that lure of yours. But my butt bomb lure seems to work pretty good at bringing in Idahoans. Brought in 2 the first time I used it. One was a big furry pale, the other a skinnly little sucker with a funny accent.
I miss both of ya...but my aims improving.

Well, it's official. This pronghorn made the book....not by much, but it's in. I had it officially scored today. I had rough scored it at 71.5 and then read an article written by an exceptionally experienced scorer who said pronghorn horns typically shrink about 2% during the 60 day drying period. Using my 71.5 rough score, a 2% shrinkage rate would have put it at 70.07 inches. The official score today was exactly 70 inches. P&Y minimum is 67. I was pretty psyched. This is my first bow killed animal since I was about 17 years old and I'm 53 now.

Back