1.50 large enough for coyotes?

JimboTN

Just getting into trapping and see where many are using the 1.50 sized Bridger and Dukes for coyotes but am seeing newer 1.65 sizes and 2.0 sizes used as well.
What are your experiences with these? Are the 1.50 marginal for coyotes but better suited for fox?
Making the initial investment soon in footholds and looking for some guidance here.
Target animals are coyote and fox.

A 1.5 will hold fox,but a coyote will probably destroy it!! Better off with at least a 1 3/4 and modified with baseplates and 4 coiled!

1.75 would be the ticket I think. I use a sleepy creek brand regular jaw no offset with a 12" earth anchor haven't ever had a need for 4 coil 2 has held just fine. Night latched as well

Last edited:
If you have a choice go with a number 2 or three if your state allows and if you must or want to use a 1.5 go with the MB 450 from MTP and never look back it will hold the nastiest yote. I use them for adc work on fox jobs when yotes are around and never lost one yote in them or had any damage.

Yes a 1.5 will hold coyotes as many who use them will attest.
They are not an optimal coyote trap for many reasons.
If you are targeting coyotes it would be better to use 1.75 or larger, especially if you have a choice while outfitting yourself.

$.02
TS

Originally Posted By: Tactical .20#2 minumum, #3 Bridger is better

as stated above with laminated top and bottom offset jaws and a spring hooked to the trap with 8' to 10' of chain after that to either wire off on a tree or use with drags and the coyotes will always be there when u get there..........PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!
thumbup1.gif

DSC03221.jpg

i started the GAME with 1.5's and 1.75's and learned real quick the above modified traps are needed to do it right the first time IMO........Good Luck!!!!!!
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
u can even get the Bridgers already laminated on top of the jaw now......i did mine myself and laminated top and bottom but if a guy didnt or couldnt get access to a welder they can be bought ready to go..........good luck guys!

Last edited:
#2 Northwoods/Bridger will serve you very well for trapping coyotes. A 4 coiled trap will fire through partially frozen or thick covering more quickly, giving one better paw catches. I also like to base plate my traps so that the frame is stronger. I would not advise going with anything smaller than a #2, as much because the kill area is smaller as the trap is not stout enough to catch large #'s of coyotes over an entire season.

They sure look like great traps! My favorites I have used are Montgomery, but those Bridgers look sweet. I'll have to look them up.

yes 1.75 double coil spring with a chain spring and offset laminated jaws will hold a coyote.......BUT......for the most part i wouldnt recommend it because of this photo right here.......LUCKY catch........PERIOD!!!!!!
lol.gif

tc1.jpg

cd1.jpg

#2 would have been above the paw more than likely.........this was also a dirt hole for a fox...so like i said LUCKY!
grin.gif

Last edited:
I have caught coyotes with a #1.5. The catches are generally like the picture above, around the pads on the bottom end of the foot.
Personally, I have never lost a coyote hooked up like this. Seems they don't like their pads hurt and they just lay there till we come around. But thats my experience, your mileage may vary.
As others have said, it is not the preferred size, by any means, but you do with what you have when you're a poboy...

re

Use the trap that has the largest jawspread that is legal in your state. I use a mb 550 2 coil with offset jaws here in Alabama with great success.Also use shockspring inline on the chain.

Back