7mm-08 Up Close

UncleDoc

I have a couple of deer stands where the shot will be less than 100 yards. Actually around 30 to 50 yards. I think bullet selection is critical at those distances. Anyone with bullet recommendations? I usually load Nosler BT 140g or Hornady 139g soft points. But, 154g soft points or 154g round nose Hornady bullets are a possibility. I'm a little concerned about bullet breakup. Recommendations from reloaders?

I loaded 154gr Honaday Interbonds for a all around load for my daughter use for antelope to elk. It worked well for antelope and deer. She never got a shot at elk with it. I loaned the rifle to a friend for his girl friend to use on a hog hunt. She shot what they said was a 500 pound hog and it worked well for that.

My son took this rather nice (and large) mule deer in Wyoming with a 7mm08 and the 140 gr. Ballistic Tip.

Distance was about 150 yards. He shot it twice, but the second round was basically for insurance.

01-31.jpg

02-33.jpg

The 7mm08 is very adequate for deer hunting, not to mention very accurate in general and easy on the shoulder.

i've shot alot of deer at the distances you describe with the 139 gr hornady FEAR NONE an excellant bullet for deer and bear with the 7mm-o8

Shooting only the nearly identical 7x57 for over 20 yrs I never had a problem with Rem 140gr,Norma 150gr and both Win/Rem 175gr factory loads.My longest shot was maybe 80yds.

I'm with Ramjet. The 130 grain Speer bt bullet is great. Very accurate , good velocity. Perfect fit for the 7-08. Shot a doe at 406 yds thru the front part of the chest . Bullet was a perfect mushroom just under the skin at the front of left ham. It should be fine at 50 yds too.

I load 140SGK's with IMR 4064 in my 20" Remington Model 7. My buddies kid dumped his first deer last year with it. A good sized doe at about 20yds. Bullet entered right side of brisket quartering to us and stopped in back side shoulder blade area, DRT.
11-24-11a.JPG

PICT0235.JPG

PICT0236.JPG

I have my 7mm-08 loaded with 150gr Sierra Game Kings. I have it set up for the long shot. That being said, I took an antelope at 208yds- complete pass through and no messy explosion. I have also shot 2 coyotes with this load under 100yds. One smashed right through the shoulder and exited with no explosion. The other wen through the rib cage and had a half dollar size exit. Again, no explosion. These bullets are running at 2650FPS. I think the soft nose style bullet will be just fine wih 7mm-08 velocities and deer size game.

Originally Posted By: ARCOREYI load 140SGK's with IMR 4064 in my 20" Remington Model 7. My buddies kid dumped his first deer last year with it. A good sized doe at about 20yds. Bullet entered right side of brisket quartering to us and stopped in back side shoulder blade area, DRT.
11-24-11a.JPG

PICT0235.JPG

PICT0236.JPG

Good old Sierra performance. The classics can still do it. Even without a plastic tip.

7mm 08 is a great choice.
At ranges that close, with proper placement anything that has been mentioned will anchor a deer just fine.
My daughter shot a really nice buck at about 325 yards last year with her 7mm-08 using factory Remington Coreloks. Dumped him on the spot. Right through the throat and into the top of the spine. Great shot, imho.

I have used the same rifle to shoot deer up close. They don't go very far, a step or two and its over.

Put the bullet where it needs to go, down they come. Great cartridge, it should be, it is duplicating the oldest cartridge around, the 7x57 Mauser. A wonderful cartridge in its own right.

re

I have chosen the 140 partitions for my 08 or maybe i should say the gun chose them. She is a Remmy 700 that will put 5 shots in a dime at 100 with them. Gotta love any cartridge based off the 308 or 30-06.This is my first year with the combo so i am pretty interested to see how they perform.

I was first loading 130gr Speer Spitzer SP, These combined with the 7mm-08 are a devistating round in the woods up to 200 yards. They will strech their legs out beyond 200 yards but from what I seen they drift quite a bit in the wind. A summer or so ago I switched to a 140 gr Combine Technologies ballistic tip. IMO it is the 7mm-08 white tail do-it-all bullet. Great in the woods, does very very well at long range, with a .485 bc. If you do not reload you can buy them in factory ammo through winchester as the silver tip ballistic tip ammo. any choice you make should be a good one, The 7mm-08 is a great choice...

Back