Fox only 12g load?

DiRTY DOG

Any suggestions for a 12g load for foxes only? DC Tshot is just too much money now days, I need an alternative. There are a few regular suggestions here but they're no longer in production and/or unavailable.

#4 buck is the easy answer and it shoots ok but I'd prefer a higher pellet count because foxes are pretty small. Smaller shot like BB or #2 should work fine I'd think.

Copper plated BBs are extremely hard to find and only patterned ok for me out to 30-35 yards.

What about some non-predator loads? Has anyone tried some of the various goose and turkey loads that are priced more reasonably? Maybe the Hevi-Shot Heavy Metal BBs that are $1 per shot?
photo_zps68b43d0d.jpg

Steel shot is not adequate for coyotes, but what about foxes?

I always use Rem Nitro Mag #4 shot, (or #2) the 4's give a denser pattern out to 40yds! (never shot many fox further than that). Fox are not hard to kill!
Hope this helps?

Steve

I'll have to try those Rem Nirto Mag #4s. There are so many types of shells out there, and stores only carry a handful of options... Learn something new all the time.

We get a lot of fox out in front of the hounds we all use #4 buck we run the hounds everyday once deer season ends kill a lot of fox 70+. Covers coyotes and fox no problem. I'm the only one who uses a 20ga and I throw #3 buck at them but every one else in our group runs 12ga #4buck. You could probably use a good turkey load fine if you will only encounter fox.

#4 buck patterns ok but I'd prefer a higher pellet count for more hits. Maybe I'm being too picky... Here's my #4 buck pattern (windage off).
9a6fa1c6.jpg

And this is typical for copper BBs, probably 100% pattern in a 30" circle at 40 yards, but foxes are pretty small and the shot is spread out pretty good.
photo-99.jpg

Federal's plain jane plated lead BB load is pretty darned good stuff for a lot of jobs. Inexpensive and effective. I don't think you have found a good choke constriction and that explains your wide pattern. Personally, I'd try more constriction than you currently are using for those lead BB's.

The Federal 12 ga 3" 1-7/8 oz of copper coated lead BBs worked great for me on coyotes for many years before I had to switch over to lead free ammo.

The copper coated lead BBs should work great on Foxes too. The 1-7/8 oz Fed lead BB loads that I opened up had 98 pellets per shell.

I can't seem to get the Fed copper plated BBs to pattern well enonugh voo shoot past 30-35 yards. I've tried a Carlson's .710", Kick's .680", and DC .665". The .680" was barely better than the .665".

Do I need to try more chokes? Testing is getting a little expensive but I'll gladly pay for another choke if I can pattern a commonly found fox load for around $1-$2 per shot.

Maybe my Rem 870 just doesn't pattern great no matter what? Who knows...

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGWhat size choke should I try for copper plated BBs? What about lead #2s?

I would think that copper coated lead #2s would work on foxes. There should be over 150 pellets in a 1-7/8 oz load of lead #2s.

I would try full and x full with lead 2's and BB's.If you try something really hard like the tungsten load I mentioned or HS be sure the choke can handle it.

I shoot the Remington Express long range #4 high brass out of my 870 with a jelly head. I get good fox patterns out to about 40-45yard and have taken alot of grays with it. Most my shots around around 10-20 yards however. Foxes are not that tough to kill, the #4's work great with minimium pelt damage. If im hunting in an area with yotes, ill use #4 buck though.

Bryan

Can't get those to pattern past 30-35 yards tops. Granted, that's good enough for "most" shots but I'd rather have another 10 yards out of a load.

You need to play with some chokes, they pattern very tight in my turkey choke, but not all turkey chokes are the same.

I have killed a lot of predators with these shells over the years, they are very effective on foxes and bobcats.

If you reload shot shells, send me a PM. I may be able to find some #2 lead extra hard shot for you to load.

I have a .665 DC choke, which is about as tight as Rem 870 chokes get. Should I try a different .665 choke like a TruGlo Gobble Stopper? Or what? I'm relatively new to shotguns.

Back