Red dot vs scope

Delta yote

My daughter is having trouble using a scope not very consistent . We will be shooting deer inside of a 100yds. With a handi rifle in 223 Which would be better for an eight year old

Thanks guy

Lack of consistency in shooting results from not mastering the fundamentals of trigger control, sight picture, breathing, and proper shooting positions. Changing the optic will not correct this.

Last edited:
I started my son off on a single shot .22lr with open sights. I would load the round...(or not load one to teach him not to flinch) for him and started him off on 25yd shots. Now he is 13 and all the trigger tme has paid off. He is a good shot and has earned himself a shotgun, rifle and revolver. He shoots moa with my 22-250 on a bipod and will soon go on his first big boy hunting trip. Just keep feeding rounds to her and she will get it.

Originally Posted By: PowerfisherI started my son off on a single shot .22lr with open sights. I would load the round...(or not load one to teach him not to flinch) for him and started him off on 25yd shots. Now he is 13 and all the trigger tme has paid off. He is a good shot and has earned himself a shotgun, rifle and revolver. He shoots moa with my 22-250 on a bipod and will soon go on his first big boy hunting trip. Just keep feeding rounds to her and she will get it.

+ 1 , I like starting all newbie's on a 22

Just keep shooting and shooting.

I had to teach my wife. She didn't have the fundamentals down. We started on a 22 with iron sights. It no has a scope on it and she's deadly with that thing. Bunny rabbits go no where near the garden, anymore.

She also has an AR, now. I'm 100% confident in her at 350 on deer and even coyote sized targets. All of takes is time.

Originally Posted By: mj36639Lack of consistency in shooting results from not mastering the fundamentals of trigger control, sight picture, breathing, and proper shooting positions. Changing the optic will not correct this.
Sound advice indeed................... ;-)

Thanks for all the info. I guess that I am just an impatient dad and expect her to be able to shoot better guess I need to back pedal and go buy a couple bricks of 22 or and let em rip

Originally Posted By: Delta yoteThanks for all the info. I guess that I am just an impatient dad and expect her to be able to shoot better guess I need to back pedal and go buy a couple bricks of 22 or and let em rip

That's the best idea, yet. Also, try some reduced recoil loads. Maybe some trail boss or pistol powder loads for practice.

Maybe these?

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/AMM-2123

Well we went to the range today and she is grasping the scope issue a lot better so I decided to bring the red dot back and put the refund towards a good 22 lr for the offseason Thanks guys for the input I have never had to teach how to shoot

Back