Newbie trapper looking for advice on snaring coyotes

KATTRAKER

I have a well established crossing under a 5 strand barb wire fence on my place. It is a natural bottle neck along a ridge. my neighbors place is a large hay field bordered by big woods. My place is a much smaller version.

An online friend sent me some snares, and included a set wire for them. Here are a couple of pics of them.

The stop?
1350347501.jpg

The cable is abouot 6 feet long, and on the end, is this-

1350347483.jpg

What anchor should I use with that end? Do I need any other hardware? I have been reading up on how to place the snare. I dont want to tear my fence up, so I am thinking I should anchor it about 4 feet from the crossing. Do I need boil the wire to get rid of any scent?

Any and all info or advice you could give me would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Anchor on the fence. A coyote generally wont do much damage to a fence and its a great kill spot. The top pic is your lock the bottom pic is a slider. That snare looks like it has a kink in it. Thats no good for a snare

Last edited:
you could wrap your snare around the fence and thread it through itself...the coyote will be able to run between the two fence posts and will have some slack with this method. if you need extra support to hold the snare in place..use a old wire clothes hanger or a small diameter wire. here its illegal to set snares on fences, but it works like a charm!

first off, if you dont want to be repairing the fence dont set your snare on it, they will destroy a fence. your best bet is to set up in the trail far enough way from the fence so they cant get to it, I like to be 5-10 feet away, that way I miss the deer that are going under the fence and not over, and YES Deer do go under a fence.

the swivel that is on your snare is designed to be used on a tree or post. you take the swivel slide it up the cable, wrap the cable around a tree and then take the end of the swivel and slide it into the empty hole and pull the cable tight.

I will be makeing some sets here soon and I'll take both camera's and get some pics and video of how to set up a snare for yotes and other critters. so hang tight and keep an eye out for my post
wink.gif
anyways the fur isnt prime yet, so why waste your time and the fur going after something that will bring little to no money
wink.gif

If you have a crappy fence they will tear it up. If you have a properly put up fence other than hair on the wire there will be no damage.

Another ootion if its legal in your area is make a kill pile in some real thick weeds. Make you a trail about as wide as a deer trail runnin through it. Mulyiple trail s are nice. Set snares on your trails with drags. Very effective method.

Back