Coyote hunting on public land in New Mexico

GR5150

Trying to get some info on some areas in New Mexico to hunt coyotes on public land. This is a DIY hunt with a buddy of mine. Not trying to get someone's honey hole just trying to get some general info on some areas to start Any intell is appreciated

There is acres and acres of BLM land to hunt. I did the same thing as you a few years back. I just got me a map and went calling. There are coyotes every where out there. There was never a day that I didn't call in coyotes.

Thanks everyone. Thanks Hidenseekpro for the link. We have a buddy that lives in Las Vegas and we are gonna be hunting out of there for 4 days. I am pumped to go ... been reloading a lot of 204 and 17 Remington up for the trip.

Do I understand the regs correct that a HIV permit or such is required to hunt BLM lands in NM in addition to the regular hunting license.

Keep in mind that you CANNOT legally hunt coyotes on state land. One can only hunt game animals on state land during the established season. Since coyotes are not game animals, and do not have a season, one cannot hunt them on state land.

You can, however, hunt BLM and Forest service. You'll need some kind of license (non-resident non-game or some non-resident game license). And yes, you will need a habitat improvement stamp in addition to your license.

Check out the links above to find out which maps to buy.

On the NM Land Office site, you need only click on the brown box, titled "Content." You can then select the box marked "Federal Surface Management" and it will show all land in that category, as well.
The other brown box, titled "Legend," will provide information as to what all the colors are. I find it a little washed-out looking, but it's fairly easy to figure out.
Ever since the BLM started shutting down their GeoCommunicator site, this is the best I've been able to find for NM.

If you have a GPS, get the TRAX West software from Kirch's. It'll show you all public land, as well as, the tiniest of roads to get you in on some great places. I haven't carried any kind of map on me for the past 3-4 years. I don't hunt the public land much, but there is a ton of it and it's covered with coyotes.

Tony

Originally Posted By: DesertRamKeep in mind that you CANNOT legally hunt coyotes on state land. One can only hunt game animals on state land during the established season. Since coyotes are not game animals, and do not have a season, one cannot hunt them on state land.

pg 14 of the 12-13 NMDGF Proclamation:

State Game Commission-Owned Lands
"No hunting is allowed for rabbits, coyotes, prairie dogs, etc
unless specifically allowed."

I asked Clint at Raton G&F about this and he said that the hunter needs to have written permission from the grazing lessee. That's the "...specially allowed" part. Funny thing is that since I'm the grazing lessee on our ranch, I write permission to myself.
smile.gif

Do you have other information on this? It's confusing!

Also on pg. 14, I'm seeing where it allows for nongame animal hunting on State Trust Lands during the period in which your license is valid for a protected species.
The most honest way to go about that for coyotes would be a Trapper's License. It would allow for the very same methods of pursuit and take to be used for your protected quarry and for coyotes. It seems, though, that you'd be good for coyotes if you were licensed for even quail.

State WMA's each seem to have their own rules for nongame hunting. The online version of the proclamation has a link to a page (Here it is; the one in the proclamation's broken...) that has the rules for each WMA listed by quadrant of the state.

Hey HnS, that's a good catch on the little blurb about hunting unprotected species while your license for protected species is valid. I think you're on to something there. I do remember during last year's PM Hunt briefing that the Game Warden told us all we're SOL when it comes to hunting coyotes on state land (unless you're the lessee). But it looks like there's a way to get it done with that interpretation. I'd still like to know what the game and fish says though, because they've always maintained that one can't hunt unprotected species on state land.

The best way is probably to get a Trapper's License so you can hunt coyotes incidental to hunting fox and bobcat. That's not a realistic solution for recreational non-resident callers though because of the $300+ cost of that license. I would intrepret that clause to mean that any license for a protected species gets in the door though, so your small game license should work, assuming a season is open (dove, quail, etc.).

So, I may have to take back that previous firm statement about not hunting on state land and simply suggest you call the game and fish for their interpretation of that statement in the regs before heading out to state land.

Our buddy in Las Vegas is lining up quite a bit of private land on some ranches for us to hunt. Thanks for the info on state land. We are planning on getting the nonresident small game license, which I believe is $72, plus the stamp to hunt BLM land.

Desert Ram NMDGF usually makes things as simple as possible when talking to people regardless of whether or not it is entirely accurate. It is easier to say you cannot do something than going into the complicated details on what it would take to do it. Mostly I figure that is because they run into people who have a 10sec attention span.

If you call up and ask questions regarding any situation they will usually take the time to go over the specifics with you if you make it clear that you're looking for the whole story.

Originally Posted By: DesertRam....any license for a protected species gets in the door though, so your small game license should work, assuming a season is open (dove, quail, etc.).

That was my understanding of it, too. Being in-state, the furbearer permit is good. Plus, I have my small game license and being a falconer, the falconry seasons are generous. I always hedge my bets with written permission, too.

Now, a few years ago, you were absolutely right in that you couldn't hunt unprotected species on State land. The wording was changed that year and when someone noticed what it actually said, there was a to-do about it, mostly from ranchers, and the wording was changed just slightly the next year to the current wording. If you check Proclamations about 5-6 years ago, you'll find the difference.

Even NMDGF officers are wrong sometimes- one of our local officers was fired for shooting a bobcat from a vehicle. His interpretation (and the other 2 guys with him) was that a GAME animal can't be shot from a vehicle but since a bobcat is a FURBEARER, it was legal. Judge (I guess) didn't see it that way.

Here ya go:

Proclamation '05-06 and '06-'07:
Quote:
State Trust Lands
If Allowed Access To State Lands You Must Not:
• Hunt for, trap or call unprotected species, such as coyotes, prairie dogs or rabbits.

Compare to '07-'08 (and current)
Quote:State Trust Lands
If Allowed Access To State Lands You May:
• Hunt unprotected species on State Lands only during the period in which your license is valid for protected species on those lands.

Last edited:
I haven't hunted coyotes since I moved here 6 years ago. But, this winter I'm gonna do it. Question, if hunting on a private ranch do I need any kind of a license or permit?

I have the Hunting MAPs GPS software in my Garmin and it's awesome... It tells me what land i am on and in my opinion if you are not really familular with the area, it's worth every penny.

I asked last year about the coyote hunting on State Trust Lands and it was explained to me that I could take a coyote incidental to the game species(quail) I was hunting but hunting(calling etc.)strictly for coyotes was forbbiden.

I would get a firm explanation and the name of the person that was explaining before I would do any calling. The local CO for the area that you are going to hunt would be the best as he'll be the guy ticketing you.

I asked last year about the coyote hunting on State Trust Lands and it was explained to me that I could take a coyote incidental to the game species(quail) I was hunting but hunting(calling etc.)strictly for coyotes was forbbiden.

I would get a firm explanation and the name of the person that was explaining before I would do any calling. The local CO for the area that you are going to hunt would be the best as he'll be the guy ticketing you.

Back