Mounting go pro to rifle?

the noobie

Looking for ideas on how to mount a go pro camera to my bolt gun? I dont want to use any of those sticky pad mounts. Ive seen some $50 mounts sold online but cheaper is better.

I was noticing that they sell a "roll bar" mount which mounts to bars that are like 1.4-3" in diameter. Would that mount onto my scopes sun shade without damaging it too bad?

I know they make the handlebar mount which would mount to the scope tube itself but I think that it would get in the way of loading the gun and ejecting spent cases.

I might need to use the head mount Im just wanting to mount it to my .223 this winter for coyote hunting. Also this summer for whistle pig control and milk jug hunting. Anyone have pics or good explanations on how they are doing it?

I wouldnt mind mounting it to the shotgun for duck hunting this year but that will require the special mount I dont want to buy.

you can get you the handlebar mount, and mount it on the barrel right infront of the stock. you can have the camera hang under your rifle and out of the way, all you have to do is go in to the menu and flip the picture
wink.gif
. I use the handlebar mount on my shotgun with no problem. I also use the handlebar mount and use the Go Pro on my bow, I mount it to the stabilizer.

Last edited:
With the head strap is it pretty comfortable? Wearable with a stocking cap or baseball hat on?

My only main concern with either the handlebar or roll bar mount is that recoil will scratch the scope/barrel but if I put some kind of barrier like cloth or light rubber that it will not hold very well. Also I dont know how well the handlebar mount would work on a tapered barrel?

I just put my Go Pro on my 17Fireball on the barrel up by the stock, tightened it down and tryed to move it, it wouldnt come off. and after I took it off there wasnt any marks from the mount, as for recoil, if tightened down tight, it wont move. I use it on my shotgun for dove and duck hunting and havent hada problem with it. the head mount would work with either hat. I can send you the short video I just took of me pulling on the mount to see if it would move on the tapered barrel.

There is a go pro dealer just down the street. Maybe ill go grab a mount and test it out. If it fails ill just return it. Thanks all!

The head mount might still be a better option though. Then I could also get some sweet fishing videos.
cool.gif

When money permits though ill get both. Cant wait for ski season this winter!

The nice thing about the head strap is that it shows what you are looking at. Just move your head around slowly and it comes out good. When you see the coyote the camera will too. As long as it is not to far away.

Yea I was playing around with the F.O.V. today and for human sized targets they need to be >100 yards away to really see them. You can see them further but its not the clearest.

Looks like I can probably see gopher sized targets if they are less than 40 yards away.

You guys that bird hunt how far away can the ducks be before they are hard to see?

Back