What makes a good coyote shotgun?

cmatera

Looking for opinions on what makes a good predator shotgun. Specifically, 12 or 20ga, pistol grip or straight stock, accepts a variety of day/night optics.

Short answer: I own other shotguns, but I USE Benelli Supernovas. I have two set up for calling, same exact set up, except one has a 28" standard barrel, the other has an 18 1/2" aftermarket barrel. Both have +2 mag extensions, standard stocks with an elevated cheek-piece, B-Square Saddle Mount optic rails, bipods (and adapters), and tru-glo open red-dot sight. Both shoot 00buck out of light modified chokes.

Long answer for new guys that describes how I got there:

The ideal shotgun will vary from shooter to shooter, but here's how it cuts out for me.

GAUGE: 12ga only for me, usually in 3 1/2", but often in 3". I shot 2 3/4" for many years as that was all I had, but now, I'm using as much as I can. I own a 20ga to let other guys/girls borrow it, as well as a pair of 16's, but I'm a 12ga shooter.

LOAD/CHOKE: My standby has been Winchester Super-X 00buck through a light modified or improved choke for as long as I've been hunting. When I started, I picked it because that's what dad and grandpa gave me, fast forward to today and it still works, so I still use it. I really like/liked the Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote load out of a Carlson's Dead Coyote choke, but at $4 a shot, no thanks. Any buckshot, 4 on up to 000 (I guess BB and T can play too) will work. Depending on your shot size, you're talking about energy somewhere between a .22lr to a .22WMR on EVERY PELLET, and there's between 8 to ~60-70 pellets flying at once, no wonder shotty's are so devastating.

SIGHTS/OPTICS: I like open sights (tru-glo clamp on's work better than you'd expect) or open red-dot sights for a predator shotgun. When a dog backdoors you and you need to wheel around and deliver a shot on a runner, I want something fast handling with a continuous field of view. Fiber optic sights and red-dots are very functional at night as well. I use Tru-glo open red/green dot sites, they're cheap, and work very well.

OPTICS MOUNT: I use B-Square mounts because I could find one on a shelf (and it doesn't require me to D&T my receiver). At the time I wanted a bolt on rail (like the turkey versions come from factory), but in hind-sight, I'm glad I have B-Squares because I can pull them off and go wing shoot for fun, then strap it back on and go call that evening, all it takes is removing/replacing the two action screws. I bedded mine with automotive epoxy so it goes back on the same every time, just to make me feel a little better about it.

BARREL LENGTH: Depends on the purpose. In a primary calling weapon (i.e. rifle is at home), I want a long barrel for max range. In a backdoor gun (i.e. I'm sitting over the rifle, but need a sweeper if one comes in behind), I want a short barrel for maximum portability and easy handling. I have a standard 28" on one Supernova and a Carlsons 18 1/2" on another, to suit both applications (used to just swap barrels, then I bought a used Benelli action).

BIPOD: I run bipods on mine. Benelli Supernovas have sling studs on the bottom, instead of the end of the mag cap I make leather, epoxy, or nylon adapters to fit harris standard bipods on

CAPACITY: I like having as much capacity as I can. Whether it's a matter of not needing to reload between sets, or having as many shots as I can get, I like capacity. With a +2 extension, the extension is about even with the end of my 18.5" barrel, and I can run 5+1 3.5" (or 9+1 2.75"). I've ran 6 shots of 3.5" on a triple before, so I was glad to have it.

TRIGGER: Probably overlooked by 90% of guys. Just like a rifle, I like to have a good trigger. I don't want anything super-light, but if I need to hold steady on a 70yrd shot, I want to know my trigger control isn't an issue.

Varminterror did a nice job for you, seems to me. Also, if you check out the firearms forum it's talked about a BUNCH in there.

Originally Posted By: MerditVarminterror did a nice job for you, seems to me. Also, if you check out the firearms forum it's talked about a BUNCH in there.

+1

Shotguns are like rifles...everyone has their own criteria of likes & dislikes.

Over the years, for coyotes, I've used Ithaca, Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Savage.
Long barrels & short.
Cylinder bore to a real tight .660" choke.
I have likes & dislikes about every gun I've used. And loads, as well.

The one thing I can state with 100% confidence....you don't want a true pistol grip only gun.

Now, that all being said, if I could have my pick...and have a gun exactly like I want it......

Personally, I'd like to have
...a pre-80's vintage Ithaca.
...Synthetic stocks, w/the buttstock being a thumbhole model, and the forestock having a molded-in "pistol grip" to assist in keeping the nose down.
...It would have a 18.5" non-vent rib barrel, threaded for a screw-in choke.
...The choke would be a Carlson's "extended" choke, between .660"-.680".
...The gun would have "Ghost Ring" style rifle sights.
...I would have a magazine extention, so that the gun could hold 8 2-3/4" shells. (2-3/4" is all I've ever shot, or intend to shoot)
...And I'd probably also have a 4-6 shell "Side Saddle" shell holder on the left side of the receiver. (I'm right-handed)
...If it patterned correctly (IMO), my load would be #2, and BB, staggered "every other one" in the magazine.
...And the gun would have a "Claw" neoprene sling.

Whatever 3" 12 ga shotgun you shoot good on birds makes a good coyote shotgun. Having screw in chokes is a big plus.

I prefer shotguns that are designed for shooting birds like waterfowl shotguns. A pistol grip on a shotgun would slow me down because I have never used a shotgun with a pistol grip.

I shoot quite a few coyotes with a shotgun and very few of them are standing when they get shot. If you have a 12 ga shotgun that you shoot birds with you already have a good coyote shotgun.

I use a Rem. SP-10 with a PatternMaster choke tube. I have killed them stone dead at 80 yds with #4 buckshot. (5 pellet hits) Lethal for sitting, sucks to carry long distances

Originally Posted By: MerditVarminterror did a nice job for you, seems to me. Also, if you check out the firearms forum it's talked about a BUNCH in there.

Yes he did! !

Originally Posted By: canislatrans54...The gun would have "Ghost Ring" style rifle sights.

Will, check out Tru-glo's clamp on sights (fit vent rails, they have two sizes-maybe more-depending on your rail width). They come with a red fiber optic "bead" front sight, then fully adjustible rear sights (windage and elevation), and come with two rear sights. They include a double dot green fiber optic "standard sight (line them up red between greens), and a ghost ring with two green fiber line dots on each side. They're dovetailed so you slide one out, the other in. Very neat sight set, and a heck of a lot cheaper than D&T and installing sights, or buying a barrel. Decent moonlight and the fiberoptics sing. I rolled my eyes when my wife bought them, thinking it'd be a joke (had many a clamp on fall off under recoil in the past), but these things really work well for us.

I totally agree, no pistol grip ONLY shotguns. If a stock with a pistol grip is comfortable and functional for you, then use it, but a pistol grip only (no shoulder stock) is a waste of time.

"Pistol Grip Shotgun" is latin for "Misses a lot"...

My last post was really about how I got to where I am with what I use, so the OP can maybe follow the same lines of thinking to get to where he wants to be. Break each part down, figure out what you want from each piece, then get it. We live in an aftermarket world, you really can get exactly what you want out of your weapon (at least for common models) to tailor it to your specific hunting style and personal preference. I'm not saying my shotty is the best out there, but it's the best for me. Wouldn't mind having an SBE II set up some day, but a $1800 coyote shotty isn't my ideal scenario either.

Funny you should mention that Tru-Glo sight, VT.

I actually have that on my current gun...870 Express w/26" VR & Carlson's .660.
I like the sights, but I HATE that long of a barrel.

What I have now is a Benelli M1 Field 12ga 24" barrel camo, a full set of choke tubes, with the Steady Grip (pistol grip with a shoulder stock). I use it for turkey and would like to use it for coyote too, but am trying to decide if I would be better served by selling it and getting something else. I went with the Steady Grip because my right wrist is fused (does not bend up at all and only about 1/2 way down) and my grip is a little weak. I seem to be able to better control the gun with the steady grip. The barrel does seems a little long and I have not been happy with the limited choices for sight mounting. I would also like to use the shotgun with night vision equipment.

Last edited:
I really like my benelli m1. I don't think you will notice much difference with a 21". I have had both, and I did keep the 21", but only because it patterned better than the 24" I had. I use it for everything.

Originally Posted By: cmatera What I have now is a Benelli M1 Field 12ga 24" barrel camo, a full set of choke tubes, with the Steady Grip (pistol grip with a shoulder stock). I use it for turkey and would like to use it for coyote too, but am trying to decide if I would be better served by selling it and getting something else. I went with the Steady Grip because my right wrist is fused (does not bend up at all and only about 1/2 way down) and my grip is a little weak. I seem to be able to better control the gun with the steady grip. The barrel does seems a little long and I have not been happy with the limited choices for sight mounting. I would also like to use the shotgun with night vision equipment.

Originally Posted By: GCOP from 2012...

Let's go back to 2012 and buy a bunch of ammo!
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobOriginally Posted By: GCOP from 2012...

Let's go back to 2012 and buy a bunch of ammo!
rolleyes.gif

I'm in! Let me crank up the time machine and I'll swing by and pick you up.
smile.gif

Back