Who's hunted with a flip to side magnifier and red dot?

rynokron

I know it's more of an optics question, but they are mostly only on AR's.

I'm real close to getting a FTS magnifier to go with my Vortex SPARC for a short to med range calling rifle. Just wondering if anyone tried it and how they liked it. I have a .243 with a 4x16x50 Bushnell Elite and a Benelli Nova so I have the long and short range covered. This would kind of be a little of both without the hassle of packing two guns around. Pros and cons greatly appreciated!

I tried the same thing on my AP4 .308. I ended up getting rid of the combo and going with an illuminated VX3 1.5-5. I'm much happier.

I don't find the scope any slower than the red dot as I shoot both eyes open with scope anyway. Also, the scope isn't as bulky either. I also found the eye relief on the magnifier to be very poor in comparison to the scope.

I have one on 16in ar and use it for calling when I am in close cover and it works pretty good but if I had to do it over again I would go with a 1-4x scope. But it is fun to shoot at the range. I can ring the gong at 300yds with it once I get the hold. A 1-4x scope would be easier to ring it on the first shot. Plus you could spend 1/2 as much $ if you are getting a quality red dot with a magnifier.

Well I kinda figured as much. I already have the Vortex SPARC ($200) If I get a Primary Arms long relief 3x mag with FTS mount ($200) I'm up to $400. Still undecided on which way to go with this.

Back