Groundhogs and Rain??

PAPREDATOR

I have only occasionally seen groundhogs out in the rain, but never had any luck getting them. Rain makes it difficult to use scopes at long range. Hold tight good weather will be coming

Dutchman

Don't know about eastern ground hogs. But the western rock chucks don't seem to mind the rain at all. I've seen them just laying out in a pouring rain many times. Just after the rain stops, they all start moving too. It's a great time to be looking their way through a rifle scope!

- DAA

I've hunted them a little bit in light rain. They will come out because they have to eventually. I hunt them in MD, PA, WVA. I went on Good Friday in PA. It started out gray and got nice but the wind picked up. I know they don't like the wind because they can't hear if something comes up on them. They come out and go back in very quick. I only shot at one that day it was about 200 yds. away and I flat out missed it.

When we say groundhog I'm thinking woodchuck, okay? They'll stay up in a light rain, a drizzle.
But if it gets any heavier than that or if there is thunder and lightening forget it, they're gone.
Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you can scout a bit and find their holes, I've noticed after a heavy rain they often do some "maitenance" around them. As posted earlier light drizzle doesn't seem to bother them much, but in a storm or heavy rain they scoot, and go for cover like you might.

The groudhogs or woodchucks as some call them will on occasion be seen when a little light rain comes down, however lightning, wind and heavy rain will force to seek cover in a heart beat.

If the rain lets up, sometimes they will come out to inspect things around their dens and perhaps go feed in a clover or alfalfa field. I wouldn't think about trying to hunt them in any rain myself.

I shot a few the other day & it was raining. As for them being out in a storm I never stuck around to find out. If the sun comes out after a rain & you don't mind the grass being wet you'll really get some shooting in.

Back