Lumbar Pack vs. Backpack

PineCone

Does anyone have an opinion on Lumbar Packs vs. traditional small backpacks.
I get tired of catching the top of my pack ducking under trees in the thick stuff.
Thanks

PC

If by lumbar pack you mean a fanny pack with shoulder straps such as the "Badlands Monster Pack" I am loving mine. I love the fact that it holds all the things I need for calling yet it is compact. It even has lash points for a jacket if it gets warm. Check out my post with the same title for a more in depth review. I have used backpacks before for the same purpose and I like this option better. Hope this helps.

Thats the way I go now. I bought one Fanny/Butt Pack and I didn't like the straps,so I replaced them with a Combat H and its best outfit for callin.

I use a 3-day assault pack that has been great. Plenty of room for what I need (and don't need but carry anyway). Padded shoulder straps and back and stays comfortable all day. The MOLLE system makes it really versatile as well.

I have a cheap Flambeau backpack from Wally World, with padded shoulder straps, waist strap and chest strap, which helps take the weight off the shoulders and back.

Having broken my back in 2 places in the Lumbar region, any thing heavy on my waist doesn't work for me.

Shayne

Thanks Gentlemen,

That helps. I think I will go with a model with padded shoulder straps because I tend to bring more than I need.

PC

You might check out the Nimrod Guide Pack. It's a true lumbar pack like we use for wildland fire. It's a full size pack (2800 ci, I think) but rides on your lower back. Nimrod makes a glassing pad that attaches to the bottom of the pack that makes a great seat as well.

I have been using the eberlestock tail-hook for 3 seasons and while I wasn't sold on it at first, it has really grown on me...very versitile. I like the way that it rides on my hips more and that when I am crouching or bent over it doesn't catch or hit low lying branches... It also carries a bow, rifle, or tripod with ease.

I use a cheap fanny pack with shoulder harness from wally world. I really like it. I got narrow hips (skinny) and I cant keep a regular fanny pack up if it has some weight.

Back