.22 Mag effective range on Woodchucks.

Quick question. Since my Soon to be father in-law has my varmint rig out west shooting PD right now, I have had to go to the bullpin for a back up. I have passed on the Rem Mod 7 in .243 and the Browning BLR in 22-250 for my Marlin .22Mag. only because it has not seen any action in about a year and a half. I have tipped them over at 75 yards and in. I sighted it in this weekend with the Winchester Supreme 33gr hp. It's zero is 100 yards. Considering I can do my Job, you think I could go out to 130ish? any feed back would help. Thank you for your time. And please no comments on the .17hmr, I know it is a great little round but I am partial to my .22Mag Thanks.

MIVB

I have a 22 Mag in a Remington Model 597, short barreled carbine style gun. I favor this gun for calling foxes and bobcats and it always goes along to the soybean fields in the summers, even though I carry my 6x20x40 scope equipped larger caliber selections for those really far away shots.

I have made, "with some consistency", shots over 100yds out to about 125. Much beyond that and I would normally try and get closer. I remind you this is a pretty short barreled rifle, so if you have a longer barrel, chances are you should do as well if not better. The key is to find the best bullet for that individual gun, do that and the 22 magnum will surprise you sometimes. The ammo mine likes best is the Remington Premier 33 gr V-Max.It really impresses me with the accuracy out of this combination.

In direct answer to your question, knowing my gun as I do, I would NOT hesitate taking a shot at 130 yds. It would probably be a dead groundhog.

The only 17 that I own is a centerfire!! LOL

I used to own an old marlin clip fed bolt rifle in .22 mag. I've regretted selling that rifle ever since I let it go.

It all depends on the rifle but I could hit a groundhog in the bean from 150 to 175 99% of the time if it wasn't to windy of course. The rifle would hold a half inch group at 50 yards.

"The Chuckster" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

130 yards... NO Problem.... Just know what your gun likes to shoot. I've got a Ruger K77 22 mag with about 150 ground hogs on it. The CCI TNT's seem to work pretty good with no exit holes. You just hear a pop when they hit. I cut open a hog last year and it just gels the inside.

Varmint Buster; The supremes are a good choice, they shoot straight & unlike most hp 22mag ammo they tend to shatter after penetration. This can have evil affects on small game & varminits. I've used them in my 25mn and downed several possum. I had to stop using them on grey squirrel because they were too destructive.

last saturday i killed a coyote at 135 long steps so with a 77/22 with the 20 inch barrel so I would think ground hogs would be no problem

A couple of years ago I was in my backyard and saw 2 coyotes coming across the plowed field behind my house. I ran into the house and grabbed my Savage/Anschutz 22mag. Ran to the edge of my property just in time to see the 2 coyotes crossing the field right next to my land. They were about 75 yds out and walking fast. I ran to the edge of my property (tree line) and took sight on the lead dog and squeezed one off. The coyote did a total flip in the air and took off running. He stumbled a few times BUT NEVER broke his stride. He and the other dog put it in high gear and I never saw them again. I went and tried to find a blood trail but nothing. I followed them in the direction they went...but nothing. I know it was a good shot as my 22 mag will put them all in a nickel at 100 yards. Unfortunately, this time, the 22 mag was not enough gun. I have since purchased a .223 NEF that I used for coyotes. It too is a great shooter.

I think 130 yrds. is a safe range for ground hogs the 22 mag. is a lot of fun to shoot.Bud /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I know there are those that have killed this and that with a 22mag at this distance or that distance etc. Lady Luck was on their side is all I can say to that epic! However, if you want the true facts of what the caliber it's self is capable of doing the majority of the time to critters like a groundhog, I can help you out to some degree.

Now taking animals at 100 yards with a .22mag is NOT it's intended purpose what so ever. If you have the right bullet and our hit is near perfect perhaps you will down a ground hog (head shot) at 125 yards, but not before he gets to his hole chances are.

If you shoot those Winchester "full metal jacket" bullets your penetration will be a whole lot better and killing the animal will be in your favor over a bullet that doesn't penetrate as deeply. The .22mag has very little energy left at 125 yards!

The big thing you have to realize is that the penetration capabilities of the .22mag are very limited, especially if your off a tad bit and the bullet strikes a rib bone or shoulder bone. RED FLAG goes up then!

I would for ALL practical purposes limit your shooting of varmints and predators to under 75 yards. On those bigger animals, use those Full Metal Jacket bullets........Brother they do penetrate a lot deeper and passed through vitals.

My maximum is about 120yds. for reliable hits on chucks with a .22Mag. You can hit them out beyond that but you'll probably start missing a fair amount also. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Although I prefer a centerfire over 22 mag for groundhogs, it has been my experience that the 22 mag will easily kill groundhogs at over 100 yards. Even with budget CCI HPs. Like Cal said, much past 120 though and misses start occurring. Some of the places I shoot groundhogs are close enough to residences that I don't want to shoot the louder centerfires. The 22 mag is perfect for this. I try to limit my shots to 100 yards. You don't need a headshot either. A good solid body hit kills them no problem.

Take care, Curt

With a Burris 3x9x40 Ballistic optic, my 597M will print Remington 33gr V-Max 4.5" low @ 150 yds and print less than 1.5" group with a 100 yd zero. I have since taken the 3x9 off, and put a 4x scope on a set of very low Burris rings (you have to mill the Remington mount to do this). It is a very fast little rifle and mucho handy around the farm. I consider it a 100 yd rifle for an ethical fair chase groundhog kill; however, I think the .22 mag will do more than what most give it credit. especially since all this third generation ammo is coiming out.

this morning I shot a gallon jug full of water at a measured 200 yards with win. supremes and it fully penetrated so I feel if you can hit hogs center of mass at that distance youd be fine

Back