Taking a newby out asap

jglynn

I got a buddy that has called me several times asking about hunting coyotes. He has went all out on getting setup to do so. I stopped by his house today and quizzed him about his first 2 weeks of hunting and he tells me he is about to sell out!! Has seen a few but is going on about 20 blank stands and counting.

So, I start asking about his setups and theories. I immediatly felt sorry for him knowing what 90% of his problem was. He just don't know. I feel like I owe it to him to show him what I have learned over the years.

So, as soon as this wind lays, I am going to show him the ropes. Wish us luck........ HAHA

Good luck out there guys !!
thumbup1.gif
Soo.. Whats 90% of his problem ? lol

I'm new to this as well. I've probably done 10-12 stands and have only seen one coyote (missed) and had several others howl back. If you don't mind sharing 90% of his problems so I can learn from them as well, I would really appreciate it.

Originally Posted By: jglynnit is the way he is setting up. setup is the most crucial thing to calling in coyotes.

And a gun with bullets would be 2nd most crucial??

Hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Keep the wind in your face, your gun stock up to your shoulder and pointed where you feel the critter is gonna pop out, slow moves to target and SQUEEZE the trigger!

End of story!

there are pros and cons to taking new guys out. i will have a new calling buddy at times which is good. as well is alot of things thatwill happen by taking him. the cons are that another guy in my neck of the woods throwing calls everywhere and contacting some of the same people as i do for hunting ground. gotta take the good with the bad though.

I too have taken Newbies out on their first ever yote hunt, after the first stand one will know if they are gonna make it or not?

Majority of newbies don't make it.

I had a lot of hit and miss success when first starting, set-up is definitely most of it. I had Tony T.'s "so you want to be a predator hunter" video for quite a while, but mainly bought it to watch the action. I finally paid attention to the set-up portion, and that made it come together for me. I really like his method of setting up in an opening on the upwind, center so that your scent stream goes right down the middle of it. That way the yote's come into the open where you can see them, yet have time to stop them and shoot before they hit the scent. I try to set up that way every time now, and it has definitely increased my success rate. A big thanks to Tony for sharing his experience with all of us who will listen.

I took a newby out last season and found out quick that safety was not his strong suit! To make matters worse, I took him at night. I should have taken him to a hunter safety refresher course first. No matter how much experience you think they may have, dont hesitate to cover the basics. Keep safe. Good hunting.

Teach a man basics for free. Teach a man secrets and charge his azz.

As to the most important part of being successful?

LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION

Stinking wind will not quit howling!!! Made 3 stands before work and only called 1 coyote in. He circled downwind about 250 yards and never offered a shot. He was really skiddish. I was kinda bummed until I looked at Cody. His eyes were as big as half dollars.lol. He was happy just to see one.lol

Back