Vx-2 question

Ralphy

Got a leupold vx-2. 6-18 So I have been having problems with keeping zero and I noticed today when I got home that you can move the eye relief peice around and it makes the cross hairs move also unless you have it tightened up all the way. I called leupold and they said that was normal. Does anyone have a scope they could see if it does the same or have any info for me Thanks

Originally Posted By: RalphyGot a leupold vx-2. 6-18 So I have been having problems with keeping zero and I noticed today when I got home that you can move the eye relief peice around and it makes the cross hairs move also unless you have it tightened up all the way. I called leupold and they said that was normal. Does anyone have a scope they could see if it does the same or have any info for me Thanks

It is normal.

Past Sunday, gent that often sits a couple of benches from me commented to me that his VX2 leupold (not sure of power) was the cause of his inconsistent groups. Often had flyers to left or right, never up or down. Scope was on a relatively new pricey Remington custom shop rifle. Past week he took rifle to a decent local gunsmith, explaining his problem with flyers, that perhaps there is a crown problem. Gunsmith checked out rifle, told him he doubted the problem was crown, more likely the scope, but he'd take his money and do a crown job.

Crown job didn't help. The Leupold VX2 is a new scope bought just for the rifle. Sunday, he tried the rifle again after crown job. Same problem with his 100 yd groups. Flyers to left or right. He told me he'd called Leupold about his rear lens occular, was movement of it normal, since you can't lock it down. He was told yes, but that it was self centering so don't worry about it. Well, it worried him and he was sure it was the problem. If I remember correctly, he told me his wiggleing of rear occular did not change crosshair on target on elevation....but did on windage.

He will replace the VX2 with another scope and proceed to eliminate his flyer problem. His last words to me were something to the effect.....I'm sending back the VX2 to Leupold and tell them to replace it with a VX II. I don't care if the VX 2 cost me $40 more, there is a problem with design of the VX 2.

What type of mounting system are you using? Using a cheap mounting system is often the cause of wandering zero issues. Deer, Elk, and varmints love cheap Weaver rings.

If I use rings other than Leupold MK 4 or Badger I usually use the epoxy bedding method to ensure the scope to ring fit is perfect. If you are using a weaver or Picatinny rail make sure the rings are pressed snug against the rear of the slot before tightening. Lastly make sure all ring and mount screws are tightened to the proper number of inch lbs using a torque wrench.

Originally Posted By: DGWPast Sunday, gent that often sits a couple of benches from me commented to me that his VX2 leupold (not sure of power) was the cause of his inconsistent groups. Often had flyers to left or right, never up or down. Scope was on a relatively new pricey Remington custom shop rifle. Past week he took rifle to a decent local gunsmith, explaining his problem with flyers, that perhaps there is a crown problem. Gunsmith checked out rifle, told him he doubted the problem was crown, more likely the scope, but he'd take his money and do a crown job.

Crown job didn't help. The Leupold VX2 is a new scope bought just for the rifle. Sunday, he tried the rifle again after crown job. Same problem with his 100 yd groups. Flyers to left or right. He told me he'd called Leupold about his rear lens occular, was movement of it normal, since you can't lock it down. He was told yes, but that it was self centering so don't worry about it. Well, it worried him and he was sure it was the problem. If I remember correctly, he told me his wiggleing of rear occular did not change crosshair on target on elevation....but did on windage.

He will replace the VX2 with another scope and proceed to eliminate his flyer problem. His last words to me were something to the effect.....I'm sending back the VX2 to Leupold and tell them to replace it with a VX II. I don't care if the VX 2 cost me $40 more, there is a problem with design of the VX 2.

A lot of guys like to blame poor accuracy/groups on everything but the man pulling the trigger. There is nothing wrong with the design of the VX-2. It is one of the most thoroughly used and tested scopes in existance.

Overtightening the scope caps can compress the tube causing the adjustments to appear to wonder as they settle in. Take everything loose and remount making sure to use the correct torque specs. Most people I know overtighten the ring caps.

I have a new VX-2 and it has proven to be a reliable scope with no issues. I'm not crazy about the fast focus eye piece but that is a personal dislike, it hasn't been problematic in any way.

Back