50 grain Speer TNT in 1/7 twist?

Dogone223

My wife bought me box of 50 grain Speer TNT's for my birthday. Since I hunt with a 16" 1/7 twist, I usually stick to 55 gr vmax or similar 55gr+ soft point loads. My hunting partner has a 16" 1/9 barrel so I could trade them off.

1. Does anyone have experience with these out of a 1/7 twist?
2. Would I get less fur damage with the 50 grain bullets?

I've read about lighter bullets disintegrating or spinning apart out of faster twist barrels. The last thing I need is my buddy giving me crap about being a terrible shot when they turn to dust before reaching the target... Thanks in advance for your input.

The 50TNT is real explosive. Through a fast twist like that, it'll be extremely explosive. And it stands a very good chance of not getting to the target....depending on how fast you push it and and how smooth the barrel. I push that bullet way faster than they say you can, but it's through very smooth 14 twist barrels.

Thanks. The TNT's don't sound like a good fit for my rifle. I considered testing them out at the range when I get the chance.

Do you see any harm in testing them in the 1/7 or 1/9? Could it damage the muzzle break or worse, injure the shooter...?

I tried them in a 22-250. Never hit the target. They were exploding on the way to the target. Of course the 22-250 is a bit faster than the .223

Tom

I doubt from a 16 inch barrel .223 you could push them fast enough for them to spin apart. There would be no harm in trying them so give'em a spin they may surprise you.

It has been many years since I have shot the 50 gr.TNT so this probably isn't the case now...but the box used to state not to use with a twist faster than(I think) 1-10.Also had a speed warning,the 55 gr. TNT can take more abuse.

In a 223AI, the 50TNT shoots well at 3750. This is through an excellent 14 twist barrel, and it's where I stopped in load workup. I tried that bullet @4100 through another very smooth 14 twist barrel 22-50AI......as expected, none of them made it to the target. So the failure point was faster than 3750 and less than 4100. But these are smooth, top quality barrels with a twist only half as fast as your 1:7. That bullet may/may not work in your gun, only way to know is try them and find out.

Your input is appreciated. I'll save them for the next range trip. We've been getting out every weekend for a stand or two. I'd rather know they were staying intact than wondering if I missed... I'll test them out and report back with my findings as I can't be the only one using a 1/7 twist AR for coyote hunting.

Thanks again.

Originally Posted By: mj36639I have fired many Speer 52 grain bullets through my 1:7 16 inch carbine with no issues.

The 52gr Speer HP and the 50gr TNT are two totally different animals.

If my math is close your 14 twist barrel at 3750 is spinning them at 192,857rpm where the measly 223 in a 1:7 barrel at 2800 would spin them at 288,000. Thats a lot of twist for such a light skinned bullet. May also throw them faster than the 2800 I stated, then again my math may be way off.

Back