What scope for $200-$400

Originally Posted By: mj36639Originally Posted By: OldTurtleI've had good luck with Sightron scopes and they have a great warranty, even if you get a used one...The Redfields are reportedly made by Leupold and if their rifle scopes are anything like the spotting scope I bought, they would be a good investment as well...

Leupold purchased the Redfield brand in 2008. Redfield scopes made since that time are in fact assembled in Leupold's factory in Oregon. They are a great deal for the consumer and are at the same price point as the Leupold Rifleman. I would not be suprised if Leupold either drops the Redfield line or moves production of the Redfield overseas.

The Revenge line is made over seas. The Revolution line is assembled in the US of foreign parts...

The Revolutions are definitely good for the $$$!

Looked hard at the range of scopes in that price range and read a indepth comparison between 5 models on one of the other forums may be Sniper Hide or Optics Talk and the REDFIELD REVOLUTION was ranked 4TH where the Vortex Diamondback ranked a clear first.
I had initially decided on the RedField but soon changed my mind and ordered a Vortex Diamond back
It has since arrived and I am more than pleased.

EXCEPTIONAL OPTICS, QUALITY BUILD, GREAT FOV, AND A TOP WARRANTY.

Last edited:
Look on the classified page and you will see my ad for scopes barely used and perfect for your use IMHO...Good luck.

You can buy a 4.5-14 burris fullfield brand new for $299 and they are a very good scope or a leupold vx 1 or 2. If you wanted somethin a little more than that I would suggest a Vortex viper HS.

You might want to consider a Weaver 40/44 scope that is made in Philippines and has an aspherical lens design. This lens design orginated on 35mm SLR cameras and produces a darn good clear optics clarity. First scopes with this design were the old Simmons AETECS, which had a pretty good reputation before quality went down. These Weavers are rumored to me made in same plant that original AETECS were once made a long time ago.

Anyway, own one and have seen another one where I shoot. Its owner and I both agreed its optics are surprisingly good. Worth a look.

So happens, price on this Weaver has been reduced from around $200 to $140, making it a good buy. Here is where its at:

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=WE849527&src=exrbSrch

I have been pleased with my VX-2 3-9x40.....I just recently looked thru a Sightron SII 3-9x42 and was very impressed with the glass for the price (less than $250)

The diamond back is a slightly lower quality optic. The Viper is far superiour, imo. The linked 2-7 is a Viper, look at the part number on Camera Land and compare that to the vortex website.

The 2-7 Viper has been discontinued. CameraLand gets a bunch of discontinued items to clear out. That's why you don't see it on swfa or opticsplanet.

I just got a falcon menace on swfa.com, heavy clear scope lots of option as far as magnification. I'm really pleased with the scope for the $$$

I picked up a bushnell elite 4-16 power scope for $305 after rebate... a lot of scope for that amount of money. If you're good with a 3-9x40 scope, i'd also recommend the zeiss for $399, or even less for a demo model.

Last edited:
Back