all around caliber from antelope to elk?

The difference between the 300 and 06 isnt that great imo. The 06 is "good" up through moose or so, and the bear(hehehe) minimum for grizzley. The 300 is good up through moose and bear etc. You gain a little speed and a some mpbr distance but the bullet is the same. At normal distances theres just not enough difference to matter to me.

But shoot what makes you happy!

Too many generalizations arise in these kind of threads. Not all easterners are ignorant in the taking of larger critters. Not all the folks that carry the Ultra magnums are poor marksmen. In the same light,not all who pursue elk with 243s are excellent woodsmen or riflemen. I do own and opperate a 300 Ultra. Carry it to Colorado elk hunting. I also have here a 243 mountain stainless M700 that I just flat love. As might be expected,I own and opperate about everything in between as well. Here is how I see it. Go forth and find the "Rifle" you like the most. Fire as many of them as you can. Most folks will let you fire a few from their rifle if you are considering one like it as a purchase. Once you have a brand and model figured out you can settle on the chambering you like best of what is available. I'm not going to reccomend a 243 or a 300 Ultra. Short action or long action. You find a rifle that just plain feels "Right",and the rest is easy. I love that little 243 of mine,and shoot it well enough to hunt elk with it. I just like those 180gr partitions over 89gr of RL22. I am considering having the stainless mountain rebarreled in 260. Just might be my ultimate companion rifle. In a nut shell,you don't need a 300 to kill a 600 pound animal. We routinely kill beef and hogs with a 22 rimfire. Hunting elk with a 243 on someone elses reccomendation doesn't make you a good hunter or woodsman. All that woo ha aside,to answer the OP's question,I'd take my T3 7Rem Mag topped with a 4-12X Leupold and a 150gr premium bullet and go hunting.

I elk hunt with a 300 savage and a 30 06. both work well for me. Like what was said go find what calilber works for you and good luck to you.

Consider your shooting ability and distances you are likely to shoot. If you shoot longer ranges flat trajectory could be a big benefit like a .270. If ranges are shorter it doesn't matter nearly as much and more power can stop things from running off into the brush before they go down. Seriously with barnes tsx or ttsx you can use smaller calibers and enjoy less recoil.

I've used my 7wsm on antelope to elk, but I've also taken antelope with my 243 and seen many others taken, as well as deer. It really comes down to personal preference.

I have killed pronghorn, mule deer, and elk with a 308 Norma Mag rifle. Used 165 Gr bullets for pronghorn and deer and 180 Gr bullets for elk. Did in the same big game shooting 130 and 150 Gr bullets from a 270 Winchester. But that old 30-06 and the newer 300 Win Mag could also work for you.

Hi all, this is my first post after lurking around quite a bit. I am a bit of an amateur, when it comes to predator hunting, but am going to learn.

Thought I would make a comment here, cause I know a bit more about it. A 300 ultra, and the 338 and up are more than most people can shoot without a flinch or a brake. I hate brakes. I wanted a light weight Bettin gun in 300 wsm, but the budget kept nagging me. I ended up buying a slightly used HS Precision 300 wsm, put on top notch Near mounts, Added a 2-12x40 Burris six x, with storm coat. Don't know why they quit making the six x, but I love the fov, clarity, and long range ability. Hunting up here requires hunting in bad weather, rain guard, or storm coat, or sim was a must, without spending huge. The rig weighs in at a nominal 8 lbs, is very accurate, will kill any big game in north america, and is a soft shooter. No elk with it yet, but I like the results out to 400 yds, on paper. Did I say it shoots soft for a reasonably flat shooting 30 cal. All in
Just over $2800.

.270 Win. gets my vote. Shoots long, mild recoil, and much easier on the wallet than previously mentioned calibers. Including ammo prices.

270 with good 140-150 or 280 with good 150-160 if one doesn't want to deal with a magnum. They'll still drop elk at 500-600 yards and deer and antelope a lot further...

IMO, a 7 Rem Mag gets the nod. A good 160 will kill elk and deer alooooooong ways off in the right hands without to much kick. The 160s penetrate deep and fly through the air very well.

300 Win mag with a good 180-200 is also tough to beat. Yes they hit a bit harder then a 7 mag w/160 but they are also booting your shoulder that much more as well. More bullet weight and more powder means more kick. Dont know if few extra hundred foot pounds of energy is worth that extra kick.

Elk are very tough animals, whole nother class then deer...They aren't bullet proof but they do require good bullets and good shot placement, and it never hurts to keep shooting untill they are down for good.

Really just depends on ones terrain and wants and needs from the rifle/cartridge.

Originally Posted By: kyotekiller25270 with good 140-150 or 280 with good 150-160 if one doesn't want to deal with a magnum. They'll still drop elk at 500-600 yards and deer and antelope a lot further...

IMO, a 7 Rem Mag gets the nod. A good 160 will kill elk and deer alooooooong ways off in the right hands without to much kick. The 160s penetrate deep and fly through the air very well.

300 Win mag with a good 180-200 is also tough to beat. Yes they hit a bit harder then a 7 mag w/160 but they are also booting your shoulder that much more as well. More bullet weight and more powder means more kick. Dont know if few extra hundred foot pounds of energy is worth that extra kick.

Elk are very tough animals, whole nother class then deer...They aren't bullet proof but they do require good bullets and good shot placement, and it never hurts to keep shooting untill they are down for good.

Really just depends on ones terrain and wants and needs from the rifle/cartridge.

In my opinion, this is a very good answer worth reading more than once.

06 will do it, as will the 280 Rem, 270 Win, and host of other based off of the 308 or a Win Mag or a Rem Mag.
I would prefer the 280 to the 06, but I would have mine set-up for distance.
In the end, get what you want and become proficient with it from field positions
Use a bullet that will perform well in the impact velocity range you will be using it for. Between my kids and myself, we have killed around 10 elk, bulls and cows with the performance range of a 7mm-08.
Good shot placement is key. Elk are not bullet proof. Destroy their vitals and they die.

Originally Posted By: ColoMike01I have always hunted predators but never big game and I am lookin to start next year. I am lookin for a caliber that would be good on antelope to elk. I just want one good big game rifle, so I am curious at what you guys would suggest. I was leaning toward a Savage 111 in 30-06?? I would appreciate the input as I am sure I will get a wide variety of answers.

Thanks, Mike...

Back