"Out There" Dishes?

Etter1

What are some of the strange game animals you've eaten that turned out to be really good? I hear great things about eating lion, raccoon, groundhog, etc, etc. What is something strange you've tried that you really enjoyed.

Love fried rattlesnake and river eel isn't too bad. Pressure cooked and canned beaver was pretty good, but as you can guess, tastes a little like wood. Turtle was good as well as alligator. Coon and groundhog were greasy the way I had them. Tried fried carp eggs, not bad flavor, but kind of gritty. Rattlesnake and alligator floured and fried in a skillet like squirrel are probably my favorites.

Eland is the best, followed closely by Nilgai, Addax, Oryx and then Zebra. ARCorley's right about the fried rattlesnake and armadillo isn't all that bad.

Regards,
hm

So far, black bear has been my favorite wild game, followed closely by wood duck. I've also really enjoyed frog legs, gator tail, squirrel, rabbit, deer, grouse, pheasant, bison, and about a dozen other species of waterfowl.

The only things I can't recommend from experience are mergansers and bowfin. Both were edible, but wouldn't recommend.

stingrays:

stingrays.jpg

Originally Posted By: ARCOREYLove fried rattlesnake and river eel isn't too bad. Pressure cooked and canned beaver was pretty good, but as you can guess, tastes a little like wood. Turtle was good as well as alligator. Coon and groundhog were greasy the way I had them. Tried fried carp eggs, not bad flavor, but kind of gritty. Rattlesnake and alligator floured and fried in a skillet like squirrel are probably my favorites.

If the beaver tasted like wood,you're doing something wrong. My wife cooks it like you would beef, and it's just as good.
But we've never had it canned. Fried has been good though, or done like a beef roast.

Shayne

I've never caught, killed, or cleaned a beaver myself. This came from a guy I knew that trapped. They pressure cooked it and shredded it, then canned it with carrots and onion. The wood taste was subtle, but I noticed it. I wouldn't mind trying it again though, maybe pan seared or baked.

Back