Tactical Night Vision

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2312426 - 10/20/12 02:05 AM .......Legally shoot coyotes from road....?
dan brothers Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Santee, SC 29148 USA
I read a post where someone mentioned that he could legally shoot coyotes that he came across while traveling across his state... from the roadway off his truck. I thought it was a state like the Dakotas, Montana, Nebraska, Kansas, or some place out in that area. Can anyone leagally do that in your state...just curious....?

#2312430 - 10/20/12 02:19 AM Re: .......Legally shoot coyotes from road....? [Re: dan brothers]
midwestpredator Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: nd
excerpt from the Deer hunting proclamation:

16. Road Rights of Way

Do not hunt on road rights of way unless you are certain that they are open to public use. Most road rights of way are under the control of the adjacent landowner and are closed to hunting when the adjacent land is posted closed to hunting.

however IIRC you must be outside the vehicle unless you have a disability permit

#2312432 - 10/20/12 02:24 AM Re: .......Legally shoot coyotes from road....? [Re: dan brothers]
bigsky_songdogs Offline
PM senior

Loc: Big Sky Country
I don't know about the other states but you can NOT shoot from the road in MT

God prefers kind athiests over hateful christians!

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.-Albert Einstein

#2312438 - 10/20/12 02:46 AM Re: .......Legally shoot coyotes from road....? [Re: dan brothers]
pahntr760 Online
PM senior

Loc: South Dakota
Not in PA. Nor Utah. No loaded long guns in either.

#2312441 - 10/20/12 03:03 AM Re: .......Legally shoot coyotes from road....? [Re: dan brothers]
dan brothers Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Santee, SC 29148 USA
I know you can't here in SC... and probably not in most states... but that guy's statement made me wonder about what liberal state he was talking about.

#2312450 - 10/20/12 03:47 AM Re: .......Legally shoot coyotes from road....? [Re: dan brothers]
mj36639 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Oregon
The common practice for road hunters in my area is to hop out and step off the roadway before taking a shot.

On a related note I was almost killed last week driving to a new a new stand to set up my caller. A couple a-holes thought it was a great idea to shoot at a target they set up across the road I was driving on. I had the windows down and heard the snap of the bullet going past. I never heard the gunshot. I knew what it was instantly and started looking around quick. Saw the target laying on the dirt bank at about head level as I drove past. As near as I can figure the bullet went over my hood. About a second earlier or 5 mph faster and I might not be typing this.

After that experience I would not be opposed to mandatory firearms safety training and IQ tests for gun owners.

#2312489 - 10/20/12 08:25 AM Re: .......Legally shoot coyotes from road....? [Re: dan brothers]
yotehunter57 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Arkansas
It's a no-no in Arkensaw
Thr book reads; IT IS NOT LEGAL TO; point, aim, or shoot a firearm or archery equipment from within 100 feet of the centerline of any City, vounty, State, or Federally maintained road.

Shayne

#2312497 - 10/20/12 08:48 AM Re: .......Legally shoot coyotes from road....? [Re: dan brothers]
rags Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: S.E. South Dakota
Here in SD you must have permission to shoot onto privite land

#2312528 - 10/20/12 09:29 AM Re: .......Legally shoot coyotes from road....? [Re: dan brothers]
Bernie P. Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: NY Adirondack Park
I know you certainly weren't asking about NY but I've never even seen a coyote live or road killed while driving.In fact of all NY critters coyote and bobcat are the only one's I can say that about.

#2312566 - 10/20/12 10:12 AM Re: .......Legally shoot coyotes from road....? [Re: dan brothers]
songdog Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Elizabeth.Colo.
the law in Colo. is "must be 50' from center line of roadway", so that would be no shooting from road.

#2312576 - 10/20/12 10:31 AM Re: .......Legally shoot coyotes from road....? [Re: dan brothers]
Jay Cummings Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Winfield, Kansas
All states have their own regs. Here in Ks you cannot shoot from a roadway while in the vehicle. However, if your in the pasture you can fire from inside the vehicle, as long as you have permission on the property.

#2312585 - 10/20/12 10:44 AM Re: .......Legally shoot coyotes from road....? [Re: dan brothers]
Varminterror Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Kansas
To my knowledge, hunting from or across roadways in KS is legal (surprisingly). HOWEVER, shooting from a vehicle is illegal, EXCEPT FOR COYOTES, which may be taken from motor vehicles.

Kansas coyote laws are set up in a way that's intuitive to protect ranchers that keep a "coyote getter" in their truck in case they just happen to see one. These are the guys that will be driving along a back-road, see a coyote, stop the truck and kill it, touting the "the only good coyote is a dead coyote" mentality. Sighthounding coyotes is also well established in KS, so again, the laws are set up to allow this practice essentially uninhibited.

Coyote hunters get free passes that they are able to hunt at night using lights (over hounds), from motor vehicles (any land, air, or water vehicle), and use radio communication, which are all prohibited for all other types of hunting in Kansas.

The general rule of thumb for most hunters, although I believe it is not necessary by law, is that if you have landowner permission on a spot and see game, you pull over, get out of the truck, cross the ditch (cross the fence) and shoot. By law, I'm fairly certain that all a guy needs to do is stop, get out, and shoot for big game, and technically you wouldn't even have to stop for a coyote, just roll the window down.

#2312587 - 10/20/12 10:45 AM Re: .......Legally shoot coyotes from road....? [Re: Jay Cummings]
Varminterror Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: Jay Cummings
All states have their own regs. Here in Ks you cannot shoot from a roadway while in the vehicle. However, if your in the pasture you can fire from inside the vehicle, as long as you have permission on the property.

Do you have this reg at hand? It may be in the full version of "the books", but there's nothing on the regulation webpage that supports it.

#2312605 - 10/20/12 11:06 AM Re: .......Legally shoot coyotes from road....? [Re: dan brothers]
canislatrans54 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Loc: Salina, Kansas
The following is copied straight from the KDWP hunting regs......

ILLEGAL PURSUIT

No game or furbearer may be shot at, killed, or pursued from aircraft, motor car, motor boat, or other vehicle. (Exceptions include hunting with a Disability permit, hunting waterfowl from a stationary boat, and hunting coyotes.) Use of artificial light is illegal except as outlined HERE .

It is illegal to locate or give information concerning the location of game animals by radio or other mechanical means, except for coyotes, as outlined HERE .

No wild gamebird (except turkey) may be shot at unless that bird is in flight. Turkeys may be shot on the ground or in flight, but not while sitting in trees.

From Fall 1972-Feb 1996, I hunted coyotes here out of a pickup. Originally with greyhounds.
The years of Fall 1980-Feb 1996, instead of dogs we shot the coyotes with a 12g...from the truck.
At the time, we were told by the game wardens in our area, that it was legal to shoot coyotes from the dirt/gravel roads. But NOT from any paved road, be it a county road, or a state highway.

I have never heard about any changes to that policy, for whatever that's worth.
Howlers made from Cow horns, Deer Antler or Elk Antler

#2312615 - 10/20/12 11:19 AM Re: .......Legally shoot coyotes from road....? [Re: dan brothers]
diamond_c Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: T e x a s
Not in Texas...that would be disorderly conduct.

Title 9, Chapter 42, Section 42.01:

(9) discharges a firearm on or across a public road;

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  220_Swift, Redfrog 

Forum Stats
47271 Members
80 Forums
280748 Topics
2657169 Posts

Max Online: 3771 @ 02/03/14 09:55 PM
Today's Birthdays
bigdean, coyote6583, David_Serdula, DBBill, Eddie Hawkins, fathermartin, justplainbill, Texascowboy, wglsnx

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.