10/11/12

eaglerock

Been hearing different stories about the .17 remington. Borrowed one from a friend and went out the morning of Oct. 11th, to see what it can do .We called in 3 coyotes killed em all , they dropped where they stood . Only managed to get 1 on film , he was the first of the day , just after sunrise.

Originally Posted By: eaglerock Been hearing different stories about the .17 remington. Borrowed one from a friend and went out the morning of Oct. 11th, to see what it can do .We called in 3 coyotes killed em all , they dropped where they stood . Only managed to get 1 on film , he was the first of the day , just after sunrise.

Now you need to try a 17-204.
laugh.gif

17's aren't suppose to work very good, but they do. I think its out of pure spite.
grin.gif
Do you know what load you were using?
Where was this filmed at?

K22, we were shooting his reloads, 25 gr. hollow points , not sure what powder but i think he said around 3500fps.
The conversation at the end of the clip , was about whether I was able to film it . we were set up facing the opposite direction he came in and I was having trouble getting the camera turned .

Thanks for the reply eaglerock. Kind of a slow load for a 25gr. 17 Rem. unless the rifle has a short barrel. I was just curious. My 25gr. loads run real close to 4000fps and the 30gr. load pushes 3800fps.
That sucks when you get back doored and especially if you're by yourself.
grin.gif
That sure made you guys scramble to get turned around.

Nice video, and good to see the results of a .17 Remington.

Before settling on my 6x45 Detech AR, I had seriously considered the .17 Remington. But, I went the opposite direction and settled with the 6mm.

Now I wanting a .17 in hopes of dropping coyotes / bobcats, yet with minimal or no pelt damage.

What say ye about this? What has your experience been with the .17 Rem. dropping predators dead, yet saving pelts? Any other experiences other than the three you mentioned?

Just hoping to learn a thing or two.

Thanks for you post and video.

David

6mm06 - All 3 coyotes were shot in the chest. They all crumpled like the one in the video .The farthest being just over 200 yds. One had a very small exit wound. Thats the extent of our experience with the .17 rem. But, I got to say I was impressed !

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Nice video, and good to see the results of a .17 Remington.

Before settling on my 6x45 Detech AR, I had seriously considered the .17 Remington. But, I went the opposite direction and settled with the 6mm.

Now I wanting a .17 in hopes of dropping coyotes / bobcats, yet with minimal or no pelt damage.

What say ye about this? What has your experience been with the .17 Rem. dropping predators dead, yet saving pelts? Any other experiences other than the three you mentioned?

Just hoping to learn a thing or two.

Thanks for you post and video.

David

David,
You may want to consider doing a 17-204 since you are pretty familar with wildcat calibers. While idling, a 17-204 will launch a 30gr. bullet at 4000fps and if you push on the gas it'll do 4300 without breaking a sweat. As one user of that caliber said, if I would have known how well the 17-204 DRTs Coyotes with no exit I would have switched a long time ago. 243 and 22-250 was what he used in the past. And we're talking north western Coyotes.
As you probably know I am a huge 17 Rem. fan and user, but I'm putting together funds to build a 17-204. Even with a 22" barrel it launches the 30gr. bullet at 4000fps without over loading it. You literally hold dead on out to 450yds.
What is not to like about that.

Back