Hornady Z-Max on Coyotes?

Not only does the jacket look thicker but the shank of the plastic tip looks abit bigger as well. Might cause abit more frag. Not sure how the BC's can be the same as the 40gr zmax is a flat base and the vmax is a boat tail. It does seem the 55gr and 50gr share the same profile.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Terry N.Has anyone tried the Hornady Z-Max bullets on coyotes? The bullets are attractively priced at a few places, and I'm considering buying 500. I don't want them if they're only suitable for smaller animals or paper, though. you can get v-max for 16.00 per 100 50 and 55 grain if you must have that bullet

Knowing that it has a heavier jacket makes it more appealing to me. I believe I'll pick some up because I know that my R likes the 55gr Vmax bullets.

Friday Brownell's had 50 gr v max for 13.00 dollars a box. That is cheap. The guy at Hornady said the only difference is the color of the tips.

Pahnrr760, were did you get that picture? I would be interested in more info. At first I thought the bullet right may be an amax (but no boat tail)... I had always thought V&Z were the same, but if that is two cut-aways of v/z, then obviously not.

Also real curious why someone would place the powder back in the case...??? What was the intent of the photo?

Back