diaphragm calls vs mouth calls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuart_hayes

I picked up some diaphragm calls cheaper ones and have had an itch to pick up some TC customs. What do you guys prefer good ole mouth calls or diaphragm calls ?

I can't make a diaphram call work through all of the spit and juice I get when I try to use them. Good ole hand calls for me.

Originally Posted By: catwhackerI can't make a diaphram call work through all of the spit and juice I get when I try to use them. Good ole hand calls for me.

Same goes for me.
I don't think there's anything wrong with diaphrams.
I just can't seem to use them, so I stick with good ol' hand calls.

Originally Posted By: stuart_hayesThey seem much handier than mouth calls banging around. Plus the freezing issue

I have called down to 30 below and never had an open reed freeze.

I make and use both. They all definetly have thier pros and cons.
I have called in pretty cold weather and never had an open reed freeze up that much, if it does its very quick and simple to get it going again.
Mark

The close reads what I had keeping freezing was so annoying ! I picked up some up reeds I would expect them to as much. What's the pros of the diaphragm calls ?

I've tried alot of diaphragm calls in the past. I can make a dang good turkey yelp and a halfway decent howl and puppy whine, but that's it. Everything else is way beyond my capabilities. I stick to open reed calls. Way more volume and versatility...both I need calling in big country, for me personally. Now, if you are standing on a stage, trying to impress human judges...the latex sounds very realistic in the right hands (or mouth).

Tony

Over the last couple of years, I've switched to diaphragm calls, and believe me I'll never go back to the e-calls and handcalls.

First off, $$$. For $10 you can get a diaphragm call. You aren't gonna touch an e-call battery for that and a lot of the hand-calls are a lot more as well.

Secondly, ease of use. I hated carrying a big necklace full of calls just to try and call in a coyote, looked kinda silly to me, but I know some guys are proud of their pretty necklaces, they're just not for me....

Third, realism! Like Toney Tebe said, the realism can't be beat. Apparantly he thinks they only work on stage?? If the judges think they sound the best, IMAGINE WHAT THE COYOTES THINK! LOL I've had this discussion with Tony before, ...I've heard a lot of these plastic reed howlers, and everytime I can hear that plastic buzzing sound as it bounces off the toneboard. A coyotes ears are a lot better than mine and I'm sure it's amplified many times to them! With diaphragms you are using latex that is the most similar thing to a coyotes "voice-box".

I know Toney likes to say they aren't loud enough, but I hope you are in Waco Toney and maybe we can compare calls and volume...Like I said before to you in an earlier discussion we had about this topic, GUARANTEE I can achieve the volume you have with any of the howlers you are blowing on...

and btw, TT, the judges ain't the only ones who like 'em!
7017450.jpg

Here's some of Torry's kills using only diaphragms in the brush of Arkansas over about a 60 day period last season...Hard to argue those results. I could understand if he were in NM where's there's a coyote behind every bush!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: catwhackerI can't make a diaphram call work through all of the spit and juice I get when I try to use them.
Good lord! What in the world are you doin' to that diaphragm when you put it in your mouth??? LOL, Don't chew on it like a big cheek full of tobacco. Very simple to use, if you learn the proper technique.

The ONLY reason I can see why someone would use a hand call over a diaphragm is because they can't use a diaphragm. Many people can't get over a gag reflex or just can't manipulate the calls to make the right sounds. Diaphragms not having enough volume just makes me laugh. I can make the sounds on a diaphragm as loud as you would ever need and just as loud as almost any hand call out there.

TT you mention that open reeds are much more versatile than diaphragms. How so? I call with two calls in my mouth at once. I keep a distress in my right cheek and a howler in my left. With these two calls I can make any howl you can imagine, kiyis, barks, whines, yips, Jack rabbit, cottontail, bird distress, Fox barks, fawn distress, Turkey vocals, cat distress/meows, and various other sounds without ever moving my hands. If the is a hand call out there with more versatility than that please enlighten me

And I to hunt a lot of wide open country places that you could see a coyote come from a mile or more away. I have never once felt the need for more volume than what I can achieve with my MFK diaphragms. I have personally watched coyotes come from over half a mile out and I wasn't even calling that loud

It's all about MFK diaphragms man. Judges like em. Predators love em. Call makers hate em. I can understand though. It's gotta be tough as a call maker when every time you open a thread posted by someone who is asking what the best calls on the market are and 90% of the responses are MFK. There is a reason for that. They ARE the best.

What I don't get is the guys that say a coyote can hear a mouse fart or a barbed wire fence squeak from a mile away also say that diaphragms aren't loud enough.

Pros of a diaphragm.....Realism, versatility, hands free use, noise free to carry, inexpensive, plenty of volume, and M.F.K. (Made For Killing)!! What more do you want or need!

By the way....TC Custom Calls are now MFK Game Calls! Same deadly diaphragms, different name. Get yours at www.MFKGAMECALLS.com

Originally Posted By: jasonpredhunter Originally Posted By: catwhackerI can't make a diaphram call work through all of the spit and juice I get when I try to use them.
Good lord! What in the world are you doin' to that diaphragm when you put it in your mouth??? LOL, Don't chew on it like a big cheek full of tobacco. Very simple to use, if you learn the proper technique.

I'm trying to make it work!! I have tried a bunch of them and they just don't work for me. Maybe I should chew on them so I can spit them out quicker than I normally do. I would like to make them work but haven't found one that that will.

First I would like to say NOTHING BEATS A MFK DIAPHRAGM for sound quality I don't give a d@MN where u hunt!! I can reach every bit the volume of any open reed!!!

TT: come by the booth in Waco and I promise you jason will have you wanting to use those open reeds and e-callersfor shotgun target practice!

Lonehowl: you MAKE open reeds and STEAL and COPY diaphragms buddy.......Karma's a $%&#* bud :)

Thank you.......that is all!

Last edited:
^^^^^^^ I Coulda swore you just called me an idiot now its a thumbs up?!? Don't worry I'm not like some here.....I'm a big boy....I can take it!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back