Mossberg MMR Hunter

DriftingOkie

Anyone shooting the Mossberg MMR Hunter? I handled one at the local gun shop today. Had a nice balance to it and very light weight. Was wondering how the accuracy is? The barrel was very small in diameter. I liked the overall look to the gun. Like how the free-float tube is cone shaped and to me looks better than most free-float tubes. The prices I am seeing online look tempting.

Mossberg makes excellent shotguns. I often carried a Mossberg 590A1 in the Marine Corps. That said they are one of the last companies I would consider when purchasing an AR.

Stick to AR manufacturers like BCM, Colt, Daniel Defense, Larue, Noveske, Knight Armament, LMT, and Spikes Tactical. If you do that you will be assured that you have a TOP quality rifle that will last a lifetime.

I handled one at a gun shop up in ID last week, only place Ive seen it in 3 states.
It was typical AR15 to me w/heavy stock trigger, nice freefloat w/2 studs, slicksided, no fwd assist or dust door, NOT that those are even needed IMO. Bbl looked like it had enough fat to be threaded if you have a suppressor.
Grip was incorperated with the trigger guard and had a compartment for a battery I guess.
Im not so sure who actually makes it for Mossbergh though. Was $770
Maybe someone here who has one would chime in as to accuracy et all.

Here we go again need combat weapons to hunt coyotes.WE are HUNTERS HERE. Most don't need or want High dollar ar to take out in the field and beat up. My Question to you is do you even hunt predators or just shoot at things that don't have a heartbeat.

What you spend on big name ar's I'll take a semi custom bolt gun and shoot circles around Big Boys that you think is so great. Yes I have some black guns but they are not worth all the hype that COLT and the rest claim to be by some.That's how I see it.

Good post!!!
(my defensive carbine is a Noveske VIS and my wifes patrol carbine is also built to a standard, but that is a different application)

Originally Posted By: roode301Here we go again need combat weapons to hunt coyotes.WE are HUNTERS HERE. Most don't need or want High dollar ar to take out in the field and beat up. My Question to you is do you even hunt predators or just shoot at things that don't have a heartbeat.

What you spend on big name ar's I'll take a semi custom bolt gun and shoot circles around Big Boys that you think is so great. Yes I have some black guns but they are not worth all the hype that COLT and the rest claim to be by some.That's how I see it.

Who said anything about using it as a hunting rifle? I just happen to see it in the gun store and thought I woulld see if anyone was shooting them. I have a couple of AR's but I always grab my bolt gun when I go hunting.
If I recall this forum section in about AR's! It does not say hunting with AR's!
And I think most custom bolt guns are over priced to be hunting predators. My out of the box factory guns shoot just fine and kill just the same as custom guns.

Originally Posted By: roode301Here we go again need combat weapons to hunt coyotes.WE are HUNTERS HERE. Most don't need or want High dollar ar to take out in the field and beat up. My Question to you is do you even hunt predators or just shoot at things that don't have a heartbeat.

WOW...you are way off topic with your anti hunting useages of the AR15 paltform.
That said you do realized thousands of coyote callers use an AR15 for them. Read all the posts here about ARs built for hunting.
Saying we use "combat weapons" for hunting is just what the antis like to hear to add fuel to the fire.
The OP was asking about the MMR Hunting AR nothing more.
I answered with what I handled and your post goes a different way.
That is how I see it.

Post was not directed at you or AR's. I reply not to you but mj.Check his past posts bashing anything that is not top dollar and you will see where I am comming from. Cjay KNOWS what I am talking about.

I too use an AR!

AS to the Mossberg AR Let you know how well it shoots Monday we have one at the shop that we are going to shoot monday.

Sorry that guy just rubs me the wrong way.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 5spdOriginally Posted By: roode301Here we go again need combat weapons to hunt coyotes.WE are HUNTERS HERE. Most don't need or want High dollar ar to take out in the field and beat up. My Question to you is do you even hunt predators or just shoot at things that don't have a heartbeat.

WOW...you are way off topic with your anti hunting useages of the AR15 paltform.
That said you do realized thousands of coyote callers use an AR15 for them. Read all the posts here about ARs built for hunting.
Saying we use "combat weapons" for hunting is just what the antis like to hear to add fuel to the fire.
That is how I see it.

You are way off in how you read his post. MJ is a tacti-cool, gotta have big name kind of guy. It comes up in each and every post of rifles he feels are "sub-standard". He was never saying that ARs don't need to be used in coyote hunting.

Originally Posted By: 5spdWOW...you are way off topic with your anti hunting useages of the AR15 paltform.
That is how I see it.

lol.gif
Easy there lightning!!!

This IS the AR section of the forum, mj is the one doing the attacking in every post he makes, roode is on your side dude!!!

That may be how you see it but just because you see it that way it doesn't mean you are correct. In a metaphorical sense it just means you need a good pair of prescription glasses. Have no fear your AR optometrist is here. My prescription for you is a good pair of Colt, BCM, Noveske, Larue, or Daniel Defense
thumbup.gif

I recently started hunting coyote again which is why I found my way to this site. I also hunt deer and elk with AR variants. I have found the level of knowledge on this site in regards to predator hunting is top notch. That knowledge level drops off in regards to AR's but that's fine because that is an area that I have a high level of knowledge in. So I can take from the knowledge base stored here on predator hunting while at the same time imparting my knowledge on AR's thus improving the knowledge base. That's what I call a Win Win.
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DriftingOkieWho said anything about using it as a hunting rifle? I just happen to see it in the gun store and thought I woulld see if anyone was shooting them. I have a couple of AR's but I always grab my bolt gun when I go hunting.
If I recall this forum section in about AR's! It does not say hunting with AR's!
And I think most custom bolt guns are over priced to be hunting predators. My out of the box factory guns shoot just fine and kill just the same as custom guns.

Excellent point Okie.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: roode301Post was not directed at you or AR's. I reply not to you but mj.Check his past posts bashing anything that is not top dollar and you will see where I am comming from. Cjay KNOWS what I am talking about.

I too use an AR!

AS to the Mossberg AR Let you know how well it shoots Monday we have one at the shop that we are going to shoot monday.

Sorry that guy just rubs me the wrong way.

Ok so you make money from selling cheapo AR's to consumers. You have a financial dog in this fight. I no longer have an FFL and I am not affiliated with any of the brands I recommend. I have no financial interest my only interest is wanting shooters to be educated consumers so they may get the best product for their money.

Ok there all and knowing one you now are the AR god in your EYES. Tell you what go over to the firearms form and run you keyboard mouth to Catshooter and 2muchgun and they will show you what you really know.

For your info I sell the cust. WHAT THEY WANT!

Oh yeah AR master you are insulting pretty much every sponsor here calling the stuff junk. If it was not for them this site would not be here.

Here in Pa we are not allowed to hunt with the AR platform yet. I say yet in hopes of someday being able to. However I shoot AR's In 3 gun matches at our local club and have been told that you have to have thousands of dollars in a rifle or it won't perform properly. I own a DPMS oracle which cost me $600 out the door, no dust cover, fwd assist or shell deflector on side of upper. When we get into shooting the match they can't hold a candle to my DPMS. It runs clickity click and has no failures. When all said and done the timer tells the tale and they can't keep up with me and my DPMS $600 rifle. I have shown many guys that high dollar guns are no better than the guy behind them. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

Originally Posted By: roode301Ok there all and knowing one you now are the AR god in your EYES. Tell you what go over to the firearms form and run you keyboard mouth to Catshooter and 2muchgun and they will show you what you really know.

For your info I sell the cust. WHAT THEY WANT!

Oh come on, don't resort to the internet equivilent of threatening to come back with your big brother to teach me a lesson.
scared.gif

I don't need anybody to fight for me.But sense you think you are so great they will bring you back reality and send you packing.
smirk.gif

So go ahead and try to match knowledge with what you think you got.

Originally Posted By: roode301I don't need anybody to fight for me.But sense you think you are so great they will bring you back reality and send you packing.
smirk.gif

So go ahead and try to match knowledge with what you think you got.

What specific points of AR knowledge do you think they would correct me on? What facts have I stated related to AR rifles do you believe to be in error?

Back