Best time to hunt coyotes in central Ohio?

Not stuck on it. Just curious about it since a couple guys mentioned not hunting the full moon for yotes.

Last edited:
The other 3 came in real close and got behind me without me knowing about it . I saw them as they were heading away from my set up .

Just like sittinpretty , I get out whenever I can and dont worry about the moon . But that night it was very bright out with the snow on the ground also . Didnt even need my lights on to scan fields that night .

I went out one night last winter. It was a very bright moon with snow on the ground but it was a windy. I couldn't even hear my electronic caller from 40 yards away. Needless to say, I didn't see anything. I'll be trying again once the farmers get the crops down.

I am fairly new to Coyote hunting but I can tell you what my experience has been in central Ohio. I have went out at all times of the day and night. I have had as much luck from 10 am to 3pm as any time. I have seen them several times when I was out rabbit hunting in the middle of the day making all kinds of racket. I have not called one in at night yet, Or maybe more accurately "I have not seen one" when calling at night. I agree with an earlier post. "try a new sound" The last one (actually 3) I called in was with a "crow in distress" call when crow hunting at 3pm. I was standing in a fence row at the edge of a woods next to a corn field. I pay more attention to the wind direction than anything else. I think it is like any other kind of hunting.... The more you are out, the more chance you have at being in the right place at the right time. Be persistent....
Good luck!

Back