All about fisher and marten!

Jesse lackey

Ok guys, this winter will be my first try at fisher and marten. I am going to have to take a trip north to do it, and would like all the insight i can get before i go. So lets hear it, anything and everything you will share!

I would find a good area with lots of sign and feed.
I then either cut or find a down log about 10" diameter. and lean/wedge against a strong tall tree.
i then nail bait to limb and nail/attach trap about 6" below it. I then nail and attach limbs and branches all around so only lane of travel is thru my trap.

make sure trap is high enough so when your catch is caught and falls from tree it doesn't touch ground.
mice love to chew on pine marten

I'm a beaver meat/tail man if have it other wise i use commercial lures.
always use a long range call lure with alittle skunk love in it. seems to brings critters around no matter what.

other wise for bait/attactor will use bird wings, birds parts pieces of deer hide.
all i can say is anchor what ever u use good. I have had some sneaky critters do some wild stuff and get bait and not get caught.

a great bait/ attactor is the collared dove. no limit or restriction on them and can nail whole bird to branch.

We use boxes mainly...Only thing is you have to be able to cart them around, since we run our line on snowmobile it enables it. If you are able to do that then build a few. We build ours from scrap plywood and siding...build a box about 12" long and a little bigger around than a #110 or #120 conibear. saw some grooves for the trap to set into the opening and put bait in the bottom. Attach to limbs/logs.leaning poles especially. We bait with just about anything but as already stated, beaver meat seems to really draw them in. The same thing can also be accomplished by using plastic newspaper tubes, they are lighter and stackable.

Here is a photo of what they look like when complete. This trappers's design used mesh wire on the back, we basically have our shut with another piece of wood, you get the general idea though.
IMG_0536.jpg

Yup, they work great, you may get fisher too. You can cut them back from the front as they taper back, then put the trap in and eliminate some of that air space between the outer edge of the trap and in the inside wall of the box.

The setup HDK82 has is just like what I remember my dad using for fisher when I was growing up. Bait never seemed to matter, they were cocky and pretty fearless, they saw something and went for it.

Back