Idaho turkeys

5spd

I was up in ID all last week with my son & grandkids.
We got this 26lb tom Friday.
Found a water hole after walking most of the day stalking whitetail deer and then having a nice buck bust us at 80 yards in the tall grasses we decided to turn to turkey in the same area as it was full of tracks like the deer.
We set up about 40 yards from the water hole hoping the deer would show up for a late drink.
Nope, 2 toms walked down the hill behind us 1st before any deer and withing 30 feet of how we are sitting. Everytime my son moved to swap the 7-08 for the 12G they putted at us and then walked at us.We thought they were going to peck us apart...hahahah. We held still as a tree though.
They went to the water hole finally after 15 min of zigzagging at us, well them Boom my son gets one and boom...hits the others tails as its flying off in the pines!
Darn, could of filled both his turkey tags right there!
We then went stalking deer where the buck jumped, but only found 4 doe there and if the buck was around we didnt see it...then it was to dark.
IDAHO2012008_zps3b30c062.jpg

Congrat's! Wow, 26 pounder is a pretty danged big gobbler anywhere, do they typically get that heavy there?

They are rare but they are out there. Biggest Ive seen taken in my area was 22-23 pounds, long old beard though.

Thats a big one for sure!

Originally Posted By: GCCongrat's! Wow, 26 pounder is a pretty danged big gobbler anywhere, do they typically get that heavy there?
Ive never shot them in that area & dont know what they usually weigh. The other tom looked like a twin.
It sure looked skinney when he skinned it. Lost 5 pounds in feathers & feet at least.

Back