Carlson's vs. Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote Choke Tube

Best 'N The Dez

I know that Carlson's sells their Dead Coyote choke tube, but I also see that Hevi-Shot has a Dead Coyote choke tube/s for sale on their website also. They look to be different styles. Are these both made by Carlson's, or are they made from seperate companies?

That being said, which one is the better choke, or the one people are referring to most when talking about "DC Choke Tube" and "Dead Coyote Choke Tube"?

Thanks.

I believe Carlson makes both of those chokes. I am using a Carlson's in my 870 and it works great for me. 3" #4 buck is what I'm shooting through it.

Ok, here is the skinny. I called both companies and found out that Carlson's makes the "Dead Coyote" choke tube for Hevi-Shot. This choke tube has a constriction of .664 for my Benelli SuperVinci and they said it has 3 rings inside of the chocke tube, which negates the use of Federal Wad-Lok or something or other Federal shells (doesn't bother me, as I don't even know what that is, and have never used it).

The Carlson's specific choke tube is called "Coyote", not "Dead Coyote", and has a constriction of .665, and does not have the 3 rings in the tube, thus allowing one to shoot whatever ammo, except steel of course, and I think some speed restrictions, I believe it said nothing faster than the 1600 range/area. Can's seem to find where it said that now. Hope this helps.

0301BC56-374C-46C3-AD43-78742B25DA70-8700-0000055409B86AEC.jpg

Guess I wouldn't be sure what to make of this then (For a Benelli Super Nova)? My calipers pull a max of 0.6680", so that doesn't help, although it does NOT have 3 rings (visible) in the bore, just the restriction taper line.

So, here's the fun part:

Clearly labeled with the "hevi-shot dead coyote" logo at the end. BUT, it does not have the 3 rings internally that the Hevi-shot model is supposed to have, which would suggest that it's the NOT the Hevi-Shot model, but simply the Carlson's model...

BUT, it's pretty clearly labeled "Carlson's Dead Coyote Choke", not simply the "Carlson's Coyote Choke" like you'd suggested...

They also used to cut them at 0.680" or 0.660", with no distinction between the two, so if you got one, and wanted the other, you mailed it to Carlson's for an exchange...

WTH's going on? Simple answer by my best guess is that Hevi-Shot and Carlon's had a deal to make Hevi-shot chokes labeled as such, corresponding to the Dead Coyote product line. At some point there was a decision to add the "stripper rings" to the bore, which isn't compatible with all shot cups/wads (black cloud, federal, etc), so they simply made two different models. Since the one with rings wouldn't be specifically designed for the hevi-shot, and meant for OTHER shot, I'm sure Hevi-shot didn't really want their "dead coyote" name getting used on it, so now we have TWO NEW chokes made by the same company for essentially the same purpose, but with a concession for which shot cup/wad you're using.

Personally, I don't care who's name is on it. It patterns great, was pretty cheap, and it puts fur in the dirt. If/when I decide to get another one for my wife's shotty, I'm not going to be too picky whether it has 0.665" or 0.664" or whether it has rings or not. If it does have rings, I'll pattern it and make sure it works as well as this one, if so, it'll get the nod.

Last edited:
If one tube works great in one gun it may not in another. Every gun is different. I went through a bunch of Carlsons, Bunch of Trulocks, Patternmaster and found Kicks was the best for my gun. Most companies will let you return them if you are not happy with the results before 30 days or something. Check with them before buying and buy them all and see what works for your gun.

Originally Posted By: Varminterror
0301BC56-374C-46C3-AD43-78742B25DA70-8700-0000055409B86AEC.jpg

BUT, it's pretty clearly labeled "Carlson's Dead Coyote Choke", not simply the "Carlson's Coyote Choke" like you'd suggested....

The Carlson's Dead Coyote choke is the original and the new one is simply called Carlson's Coyote and is longer and ported.

Copy. Well after premlimanary patterning with 3.5 Dead Coyote T shot, at 40, 50, 60, 70, and 80, and not having done the math and percentages, I can safely say that if you get the center of the pattern on a dog a 80 yards, he's going down, and at 90 a really good chance, be a little less. Just a personall opinion, that a shot (good) at a 100 would yield at least 50% kill rate. Basically, my gun shows to be high percentage kill shot/pattern up to 80 yards, and definately closer than 40 yds. I seem to remember a pattern of approx. the size of a dog itself at 40 yards.

I'll do some numbers from the targets and post results.

Originally Posted By: Best 'N The DezCopy. Well after premlimanary patterning with 3.5 Dead Coyote T shot, at 40, 50, 60, 70, and 80, and not having done the math and percentages, I can safely say that if you get the center of the pattern on a dog a 80 yards, he's going down, and at 90 a really good chance, be a little less. Just a personall opinion, that a shot (good) at a 100 would yield at least 50% kill rate. Basically, my gun shows to be high percentage kill shot/pattern up to 80 yards, and definately closer than 40 yds. I seem to remember a pattern of approx. the size of a dog itself at 40 yards.

Interesting! Waiting for those results...

Originally Posted By: Best 'N The DezCopy. Well after premlimanary patterning with 3.5 Dead Coyote T shot, at 40, 50, 60, 70, and 80, and not having done the math and percentages, I can safely say that if you get the center of the pattern on a dog a 80 yards, he's going down, and at 90 a really good chance, be a little less. Just a personall opinion, that a shot (good) at a 100 would yield at least 50% kill rate. Basically, my gun shows to be high percentage kill shot/pattern up to 80 yards, and definately closer than 40 yds. I seem to remember a pattern of approx. the size of a dog itself at 40 yards.

My experience with a shotgun makes me a little skeptical of those numbers. I shoot the same load/choke combo and I would never shoot at a coyote that far, I'm not confident in the energy the pellets are carrying at the range. Just my opinion.

Back