600 miles of Nevada (pics added)

hideandseek

Well, a buddy and I took off at 5 am Thursday. We drove from Northern Cal through the Smoke Creek Desert out to Gerlach, NV. Set one through three were all blanks. Set number 4 was a new spot for me. We parked behind a large rock pile and then walked down a few hundred yards to a smaller one. After settling in, I turned on the FoxPro and ten seconds later, a Coyote comes busting out of the rocks to my right about a hundred yards away. The Coyote is threat barking like crazy but as it runs out it begins circling toward the call. At about 125 yards he stops. Bang goes the AR and he flops.

DSCN0836_zps55fc8a2c.jpg

The photo below shows where the set was. I was in the rocks to the far right. We parked behind the pointed rocks way behind and the coyote came out of the edge of the rock pile to the left. I am not sure who was more startled me or the coyote. Just goes to show ya, if you move in quiet, you never know how close they can be.

DSCN0833_zps0f3d0038.jpg

The next stand it is getting warm, we try another new spot. After turning on the FoxPro, at about the 5 minute mark I see a coyote coming to the call through tall brush about 75 yards out. Since I already killed one, I pause to let my buddy take this one. I wait about 5 seconds for him to shoot but nothing comes. I slowly place my finger on the trigger and apply pressure. Then suddenly Bang goes his gun. The dog bolts, miss. Because the brush was so high and he was in the way of a follow up shot, this one gets away. Bummer but it happens to the best of us. At about noon we stop for a break and my buddy is worried his gun is off, so we set him up a target at 100. He blasts the target dead on. So gun good, shooter hmmm.. Two more sets before it gets too hot, both are blank. We hit Gerlach and then on the Jungo Road, through Sulphur onto Winnemuca. No more coyotes today. We stay the night in Winnemuca. Up early and on the road at first light. We head for Denio via highway 140. We hit a heavily mined area with active core drilling going on. Finally find a spot for a set. As we are walking into the set, we both hear coyotes barking behind us, back near where the jeep is parked. It does not sound like a threat bark. We go ahead with the set. At about 5 minutes, I see a coyotes way over to our left. I whisper to my buddy, "left side, way to the left". He gets on the coyote but she is reluctant to stop. Finally she stops and he drops her at about 170 yards.

DSCN0845_zpse2ac06db.jpg

We do a couple more stands which are blanks. Lunch at DENIO and off to 1000 Springs Canyon, a spot I have wanted to check out for a long time.

If you are near this area, you have to see this awesome canyon.

DSCN0853_zpsb56177d0.jpg

DSCN0864_zps3d44c03c.jpg

I put in the following pictures just to give a little perspective of this canyon. The first pic is of me standing on the edge of the rim, zoomed in. The second pic is what I really looked like with no zoom. Look close you can pick me out on the rock.

DSCN0869_zpsd8f740c4.jpg

DSCN0870_zpsd414d4e6.jpg

Well after the canyon, we headed toward Cedarville and then home. We drove a total of 600 miles round trip, 3 coyotes called and 2 taken. Had an awesome trip with a good friend, got to see some beautiful country and got to coyote hunt to boot. Hope you enjoyed the read and pictures.

Good luck all.

HOMAnimated_zpsa2612f08.gif

Last edited:
I hunt the whole Gerlach area 3-4 times a year. It is beautiful country. I have spent a lot of time on Hwy 34 from Gerlach up to Via....good hunting. Nice story and nice yotes.

Originally Posted By: yotezapperGreat pics. 600 miles for two coyotes is mind blowing for me. good story all the same.

I know what you are saying but I have driven all the way to Colorado for 1 deer and it was still a great time. It really was not about the numbers but the company and the country. This particular route was new for both of us so now we know what to expect as far as time and miles and fuel etc. Later in the year I will do it again and be able to invest more time to coyotes.

My friend and I did the same trip last year and killed nothing! Good job and congrats to you two, it is a trip worth doing. Even though we did not shoot any we had a good time and saw lots of good country we just hit it late season.

SteveB, I know we are calling alot of the same areas, we really should start putting up signs when we call a spot so you are not hitting it the very next day or me following you. Might save us both alot of blank stands. Nevada sure is nice, lots of wide open places. We managed to hit SULPHUR right at the end of shift. I counted 7 busses coming in to pick up workers and we got passed by at least 30 mine company trucks going out. Never seen so much traffic in the desert.

600 miles ain't much compared to the memories and companionship of hunting with a good friend.

Could have been worse, you could have missed all of them coyotes.

Awesome pictures!! I got to spend a week up at Soldier Meadows ranch in Gerlach a few years ago. We ended up site seeing on our quads more than we hunted. Beautiful land up in that area. Thanks for sharing

Kevin

Originally Posted By: 5194Awesome pictures!! I got to spend a week up at Soldier Meadows ranch in Gerlach a few years ago. We ended up site seeing on our quads more than we hunted. Beautiful land up in that area. Thanks for sharing

Kevin

I went through High Rock Canyon a few years ago. Really some of my favorite places, it really is beautiful. I must say though, 1000 springs canyon is breath taking.

Back