Badger Hunt in Iowa????

Man all I got to say is good luck.
In 20 years of living and working on a farm I can easily count all the badgers I have seen on a farm. Normally we see them while working in the fields in the spring, and then the chase is on. I have found that a John Deer 4040 or a case 2294 has very good knock down abilities on both badgers and ground hogs. Don't know what the season on badgers is though, better check that. Ground hog is June 15 to I think October 15.
Matt

I dont wanna foil ur plans, but i'm with Jager on this one. I've lived in Iowa for my whole life almost and I've probably only come across a half dozen only by accident, mostly in traps. I dont even know how u'd go about hunting them other than watching and waiting if you knew where one was at. If ur making a special trip from maryland, I would prob. save the expense. Just a thought

you're kidding right? You are going to go all the way from Maryland?

Unless you know something the rest of us native Iowans don't. I'm 37 years old, just moved to MI. I have personally only encountered 1 badger in my life (when I was a teenager). It had moved into a groundhog hole in a friend of my dads barn. If I remember correctly they snared it and shot it with a .22. Heck, groundhogs aren't even all that plentiful there.

Badger's are a fur bearing animal in Iowa. Fur harvesters license is required, and season is only open during fall and winter months that I know of.

Seen probably 10 in 38 yrs. of hunting and trapping here in Iowa.Unless they are causing a big problem we leave them alone.The dens they dig and leave behind are used by alot of different animals for having young or escaping other predators.We even try to release them if in a trap. Bluetrapper

We come across them a little more here in SD, probably killed 20-30 in my life but I hunt all the time and have only come across them by accident. Don't know how you would go about hunting them except find a fresh hole and camp out!

Thinking about it a bit more,
I guess the best way to hunt them would be glass open fields and pastures early morning or late afternoon.
Someone else said they are concidered fur bearers and that makes sense so there is probably a season on them which means unless you have a problem badger you will be outa luck for spring and summer. Unless you are coming to visit someone you would be farther ahead to drive a bit farther west and shoot prarrie dogs.
Matt

I hear they can't be killed......

339%3A%3A57923232%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D4%3B7%3D768%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3A%3B377245ot1lsi

Thanks for all the replies, I was invited on this hunt with a friend who was out there this past fall bird hunting and apparently liked what he saw. He asked the guide if he could come back and hunt predators sometime. The guy in Iowa said "sure anytime, I would love to have someone clean up these coyotes,woodchucks and badgers." "Just pay for your food and you can stay here for free." They set up the dates and I was invited as we predator hunt alot together. I checked the Iowa DNR website and sure enough...the only thing we wouldn't be poaching on this trip is coyotes. The gentleman in Iowa made it sound like he has a genuine problem with alot of badgers and coyotes. I just ask about the badgers because I have never hunted them, I am pretty well covered on the woodchuck/coyote department. Looks like this trip will happen without me if it happens at all. Thanks again for all the info, I'd bet soon some hillbilly comes out with an "exploding badger" tape!!!!!!!

I'm workin' on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif .

FPbadger.jpg

- DAA

P.S. Called in two that day, on back-to-back stands, several miles apart. Unusual! Didn't feel like skinning another, so played with the second one for 15 minutes and let him go.

Happy to dig the groundhogs/coons/fox and badgers out with earthworking terriers should anyone not want to wait outside a hole for them to show and be willing to extend an invitation.

Back