Night Hunting Light Expansion - The CoyoteLight at AllPredatorCalls.com

AllPredatorCalls

We are pleased to announce our night hunting light expansion. In addition to stocking LIGHTFORCE, GOLIGHT, TRI-TRONICS, ELUSIVE WILDLIFE TECHNOLOGIES, & WICKED HUNTING LIGHTS, we now stock the CoyoteLight.

CoyLightside2__20162.1349910525.1280.1280.PNG

For those not familiar with the CoyoteLight, it's a red LED adjustable focus zoom beam long range hunting light.

Key Features:

Adjustable Focus - With Coyote Lights variable focus, the Coyote Light can be adjusted to be a wide or tight (long range) light beam for the desired distance of each hunting landscape
Adjustable Brightness - The brightness is fully controlled from zero to 100% power with an adjustment knob on the back of the light. Scan on a lower power for the reflection of eyes and then turn the light up on full power for shooting.
Light Dimmer - For light-shy game, dim the light just enough to see the reflection of the animals eyes. This enables you to keep the animal in the center of the scope. Remember that when scanning with the Coyote Light for game, full light intensity is rarely needed. Turn the Coyote Light intensity up only to identify your target and to shoot. Your objective is to locate eyes which can be achieved at a very low power and maximizes battery life
Long Battery Life - unique patent pending integrated circuit which runs on built-in high performance lithium ion batteries. The Light will run up to 5.5 hours on full power and up to 48 hours at about 25% power
Low Battery Indicator - The low battery indicator will illuminate red and warn you when the batteries are getting low
LI-Ion Battery Charge Jack- It has a built-in Lithium Ion battery pack (not accessable). Partial discharge is safe, and there is no battery memory. The battery pack does not need periodic full discharge cycles and can be charged at any time. If batteries are completely discharged, the maximum charge time is about 6 hours with the included wall charger. A/C wall adapor charger is included and features "RED" charging and "GREEN" charged indicator
Scope Mount - Includes scope mount hardware (for 1 inch dia. scope tubes). The light is designed to be installed even with the front of your rifle scope to keep all light spill off your gun. It is usually best to attach the CoyoteLight vertical above the scope. However, the CoyoteLight can also be mounted on a 45 degree or 90 degree angle to avoid scope turrets. We recommend using high scope rings for clearance on large objective scopes or high scope turrets
External Dimmer Jack- Secure the 3.5mm plug on the external dimmer control into the 3.5mm jack on the back of the Coyote Light. The external dimmer will control of the dimming function. When the external dimmer is installed it disables the main dimmer light mounted control. The external dimmer does not turn the CoyoteLight on or off. The on/off switch main dimmer control is the only way to turn the Coyote Light on and off
Rugged, yet Lightweight - The housing is made from precision machined high grade 6061 aluminum, yet only weights 1.2 pounds
Red LED Emitter - Rated at 65,000 hours of use
Range - Up to 500* yards under ideal conditions. *Ambient light (moon phase), scope quality & power setting, background foliage, rain, snow, and size and color of target species will all affect range
Made in the USA
Warranty - Every Coyote Light comes with a one-year manufacturer limited warranty

Visit APCalls for more info

What does the light weigh?? Also are any other size mounts available besides 1"?? I have scopes with 1", 30mm, and 35mm tubes. If they are only available in 1", makes for limited options.

Dave

Ya need to see some feed back !! And what's the price ?? I have a XLR 250 Witch is better XLR 250 or this coyote light ???

Kizmo - Red LED only at this time (I understand white and green LED are under development). No manufacturer lumens rating provided. Lots of discussions regarding "Lumens" ratings, in our experience most are meaningless numbers and they are not a indicator of the usefulness or range of the light in a night hunting situation.

aberry223 - They run $429.95. They are what we would consider a extended long range Red LED hunting light. In terms of MAX range, they exceed ALL Red LED lights we have used or sold. Again they are Made in the USA and cost considerably more than the current generation of $140 - $150 LED hunting lights. They will fill a niche for hunters looking for longer range using LED light but not wanting to spend $3-5K on Gen 3 Night vision

Originally Posted By: AllPredatorCalls Lots of discussions regarding "Lumens" ratings, in our experience most are meaningless numbers and they are not a indicator of the usefulness or range of the light in a night hunting situation.

thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: AllPredatorCalls In terms of MAX range, they exceed ALL Red LED lights we have used or sold. Again they are Made in the USA and cost considerably more than the current generation of $140 - $150 LED hunting lights.
There are lights available that exceed the $140-150 lights that cost less than half that. I can spend $50 bucks and shoot 200 yards at night. How many guys are shooting 3-400 yards at night?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pmackOriginally Posted By: AllPredatorCalls Lots of discussions regarding "Lumens" ratings, in our experience most are meaningless numbers and they are not a indicator of the usefulness or range of the light in a night hunting situation.

thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif

In my experience of having bought literally thousands of dollars worth of worthless lights, a manufacturer who doesn't list the lumen output of their lights does not do so because the output isn't impressive. Of course, it does not tell the whole story of how the light will perform, but it is an important piece of data that any reputable manufacturer should be willing to provide.

Originally Posted By: AllPredatorCallsI can spend $50 bucks and shoot 200 yards at night. How many guys are shooting 3-400 yards at night?

I frequently do. More importantly, most of the places I hunt are cow pastures, and I not only want to see what I'm shooting, I want to see what's behind it in case I miss.

This post was intended to be just a simple new product announcement. That said, I personally rarely shoot over 60 – 80 yards at night, so the current crop of RED Led lights fit my needs fine. However, many people do shoot at further ranges at night. I do see a benefit to having a RED Led light that allows me to spot and identify species (not just see eyes) at ranges of 300 yards in poor light conditions. One example would be scanning crop fields and pastures for feral hogs. It’s been my experience that hogs don’t often reflect eyes back because there eye ball lacks the light-reflecting surface called the tapetum lucidum (predators and deer have it, that’s why there eyes reflect so much more) and there heads are normally down. Having an extra long range RED led light that doesn’t spook the target species, yet lets you identify them at long ranges and just as importantly lets you identify what’s behind them (livestock, buildings, etc) is a very big benefit, I’m sure you would agree..

I read an earlier post of yours on LUX versus Lumens reading’s, apparently you’ve measured the LUX output on several lights. Regarding the RED Led light that you spoke of that allows you to positively identify and shoot at 200 yards, I’m curious, what’s its LUX measurement at 1 meter? What was the voltage (3.7~4.25vdc) of the “fully charged” 18650 battery when measured? I to have very sizable collection of lights, I’m curious as to how many LUX output from a RED LED light would you characterize as a 200 yard shooting light.

Originally Posted By: AllPredatorCalls
I read an earlier post of yours on LUX versus Lumens reading’s, apparently you’ve measured the LUX output on several lights. Regarding the RED Led light that you spoke of that allows you to positively identify and shoot at 200 yards, I’m curious, what’s its LUX measurement at 1 meter? What was the voltage (3.7~4.25vdc) of the “fully charged” 18650 battery when measured? I to have very sizable collection of lights, I’m curious as to how many LUX output from a RED LED light would you characterize as a 200 yard shooting light.

At first my readings were all over the place with different batteries. I now use a fully charged battery fresh from the charger 4.2V.

The XLR250 I measured came in at 9000 lux and they claim 250 yards. I have a couple lights that exceed that number some as high as 13500 lux at 1 meter.

I personally have never shot over 120-150 yards. I have friends who claim kills over 180 yards. When I get time I'm going to actually measure the lux at 100 and 200 yards, I'll also verify if I can ID at those ranges. The only variable will be how dark it is. I'm sure it will vary based on a clear bright night vs an overcast dark night.

In my post I don't claim those are actual Lux values because the meter is calclated for white light, but they are an even comparison from light to light.

Originally Posted By: Kizmo
I frequently do. More importantly, most of the places I hunt are cow pastures, and I not only want to see what I'm shooting, I want to see what's behind it in case I miss.

Kizmo I was sure there are guys who shoot at those ranges but don't believe that is the norm, but that's just based on how I hunt. I thought it would be western guys who would have chimed in at the long ranges.

Lumens claims are fiction on those lights.

Here are some Cree specs for white LEDs, you can see they are rated by mA. As you double or triple the mA the lumes do not double or triple.
http://flashlightwiki.com/Cree#XP-E

A red Cree XPE LED (missing the green and blue color spectrum) puts out 56.8 lumens at 350mA. it has a max mA of 700 which equates to maybe 100 lumes. How do thse lights come in at 300 lumes
lol.gif

Last edited:
The lumen output of a light is very much like the MPG rating on a new car. Your actual mileage may vary, but it's a basic starting point of comparison. If someone won't give you that info, there's a reason, and I'm past the point of dropping $$$ to experiment on new lights.

pmack, I appreciate your efforts to bring fact-based objectivity to the night hunting forum. All too often a newbie shows up here asking questions and is immediately descended upon with recommendations to "buy brand X" in a manner reminiscent of a pigeon at a falconry exhibition.

Most of the places I hunt look like golf courses. Bermuda or bahia pastures with scattered live oak trees and about 1-4 cows+calves/acre. While most of my shots are 100-150 yards, my longest night shot is 485 yards. 300 yard shots are not uncommon. Also, with all those cows, even a 50 yard shot can be risky if I can't see what's on the other side of a yote. I use an Olight SR90, and can usually ID a yote with my naked eye at 500-600 yards with it on high. More importantly, I can ID a cow at close to twice that distance through my scope or binoculars, and, yes, I use rangefinding binoculars even at night.

Lumens mean NOTHING when you are buying a flashlight to hunt with. They have nothing to do with the "throw' of a light. They are a measure of overall light produced.

This expalnation is actually geared the opposite of what we as predator hunters desire. A high lumen output means nothing if those lumens are not focused.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/features/lux.htm

The coyote light uses an aspheric lens to focus the beam. As the beam is focused lumens don't change it's the lux mesasurement that changes.

You could have 2 identical LEDs. One has a broad general beam the other a tight focused spot. Both have the same lumen output, the tight beam puts more lumens/meter on the target.

My hats off to you at those ranges, that's some good shooting and you seem to have perfected quite the system.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pmackLumens mean NOTHING when you are buying a flashlight to hunt with. They have nothing to do with the "throw' of a light. They are a measure of overall light produced.

This expalnation is actually geared the opposite of what we as predator hunters desire. A high lumen output means nothing if those lumens are not focused.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/features/lux.htm

The coyote light uses an aspheric lens to focus the beam. As the beam is focused lumens don't change it's the lux mesasurement that changes.

You could have 2 identical LEDs. One has a broad general beam the other a tight focused spot. Both have the same lumen output, the tight beam puts more lumens/meter on the target.

My hats off to you at those ranges, that's some good shooting and you seem to have perfected quite the system.

You are correct to a large extent, but you are incorrect that the lumen output of the emitter is meaningless. As can be seen in this thread, getting any objective information about a light's performance is often like pulling teeth. Frequently, the only information you CAN get from the manufacturer is the lumen output of the emitter and the runtimes at a given output. I have bought enough lights that if I can get the lumen output of the emitter and a good picture of the reflector, I can have a pretty good idea whether that light is worth my buying it or not...i.e. I can do my own crude "ballpark" estimate of what the light's performance will be vs. my current light. You are correct in that you could put the SS90 LED in my light into another flashlight with a smaller or orangepeel reflector and the lumen rating would not change but the lux values would.

I am interested in the Coyote light because I do not currently use a weapon mounted light. I had assumed they were illegal in Georgia due to the wording of the regs but have been informed otherwise. I will admit that there is a steep learning curve to shooting one handed off a bipod while simulaneously wielding a 3 1/2 pound flashlight with the other hand, and my longest shot was with Mz. Kiz running the light. The Coyote Light appears to have a relative large reflector for a weapon mounted light, which is why I am interested in it.

Kizmo - The Coyote light RED Led will produce 36,000 LUX Peak measured at 1 meter. Again as pmack has said the meter is calculated for white light, but if you look at his previous postings you can do a comparison from light to light.

Pmack - Not a gotcha question on the 200 yard RED Led light. We are just trying to identify and develop a relationship between LUX rating and shooting range so we can assist the customer in
classifying lights as to the reasonable shooting and animal identification ranges.

Originally Posted By: AllPredatorCallsKizmo - The Coyote light RED Led will produce 36,000 LUX Peak measured at 1 meter. Again as pmack has said the meter is calculated for white light, but if you look at his previous postings you can do a comparison from light to light.

Pmack - Not a gotcha question on the 200 yard RED Led light. We are just trying to identify and develop a relationship between LUX rating and shooting range so we can assist the customer in classifying lights as to the reasonable shooting and animal identification ranges.

36,000 lux puts 1 lux on an object 73 meters father than the light I have. And I would assume you'd be able to identify game to at least 300 yards or more.

My post on the lumens/lux was trying classify these lights as you have suggested, it's nice to see a manufacturer share the specs as you have.

Kizmo you're right, lumens are important, my post was more to the useless estimates, calculations and exaggerations that some manufacturers provide. LUX is the true metric of a hunting light.

Back