Why Woman Bought One Grape With Food Stamps

azmastablasta

Why woman bought one grape with food stamps
Posted on October 5, 2012 by Dr. Eowyn

Victoria Baer, of advertising agency The Baer Edge in Jacksonville, Florida, received this email from her friend who lives in Gainsville, FL.

Snopes has not debunked this story and, as of October 5, 2012, claims their “research” on it is “in progress.”

Here’s the email:

YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THIS

At approximately 2:30 pm, September 6, 2012, I entered the Publix store on Main St. in Gainesville, FL to pick up a few items. I gathered my items and went to the 14 and under register to check-out. The person in front of me (a white female, approximate age 35-43, fake nails, big braided hair do, clean clothes, carrying a purse and a plastic drinking cup) put her purchase on the check-out surface – ONE GRAPE.

Yes, that is correct ONE GRAPE. The cashier asked if that was all, she replied yes. The cashier then weighted the GRAPE and told the women the cost was $.02 (TWO CENTS), the women then pulled out her Food Stamp EBT card and swiped it through the credit card machine, requesting $24.00 in cash back. The cashier asked if she wanted the GRAPE, the woman replied no and the GRAPE was put in the garbage can. The register recorded the sale as $.02, cash back $24.00. The cashier then asked if fives would be okay because was out of tens, the woman agreed and took the $24.00 folded it up and put it in her pocket and left the store.

As the next person in line I asked the cashier as a tax payer what in the [beeep] just happened here she said she was on the clock and could not comment. I then asked if I had actually seen this person purchase and discard a GRAPE, then get cash back on her Food Stamp EBT card. The cashier responded that it happens all day, every day in their store. She also said that if the person buying the GRAPE has it ring up over $.02 they get mad and make her reweigh it.

My next comment was to ask the cashier if she planned to vote in November and she said she could hardly wait for 11/6/12 to get here as one tax payer to another. I paid for my groceries, in cash, and left the store madder than 10 wet hens.

Now you know one of the reasons why America is broke, and why the 49% of Americans who actually pay federal income taxes have had enough and we will not put up with this any longer.

Oh, just so we’re clear on this: Barry Soetoro Steven Dunham Hussein Obama has no problems with this fraud and actually is aiding and abetting welfare abuse by removing Clinton’s work requirement from welfare recipients.

https://fellowshipofminds.wordpress.com/2012/10/05/why-woman-bought-one-grape-with-food-stamps/

I must be in the dark on this one. I did not even know it was possible to get cash back when using "food stamps" or any other government food assistance. Someone remind me why I work again, please. Oh, that's right, i would not feel right "stealing" from all the rest of you.

so just as a reminder, don't quit working, millions on welfare depend on you.

This doesn't surprise me!!

Makes me mad a HE!! because i am paying taxes and that is where my hard earned money goes!!

Change has too happen fast!!

its the same as the scum here in orygun buying bottled water on their welfare card, dumping the water out of the bottles, in the parking lot, and taking the bottles back into the store to get their CASH refund to buy booze or dope. these scum need to be used as bait or targets.

Years ago people could not buy tobacco with stamps so they would buy a little something to get the change.Store keepers used to let people buy beer and ring it up as something else and get a big tip for doing it.They put a few in jail for that,I don't know if that is as bad now or not.I have seen several people over the years that did not know how to count just lay a pile of stamps on the counter and the clerk would take out what they wanted.

The favorite thing here is to buy a shopping cart full of 12 and 24 packs of name-brand soft drinks on the food stamp or "EBT" card, (or whatever it's called), and then drive down the road and sell it all for cash at the pawn shop. The pawn shop buys it cheap enough to sell quick for a good profit.
thumbup1.gif

A few months ago I watched a woman use a state "EBT" card of some sort to buy $27 worth of Marlboros and Copenhagen for her deadbeat boyfriend who was sitting in the car in front of the store. She was clearing out the balance on the card because her next month's balance started the next day, and apparently the last month's $$ didn't carry over.
I asked the clerk what kind of card it was. She said she didn't know.
rolleyes.gif

We went over this last time somebody posted about buying cigs and such with EBT...

Most people only get food benefits loaded on their card. Some get their disability or other benefits loaded onto a separate account tied to that same card. It'd be just the same as them getting a check in the mail and paying for those cigs in cash.

I'm not defending these folks, I'm just trying to quell the misconceptions here.

Also, as far as cashiers "not knowing what type of card it was", that could be true. Some register systems automatically take off the tax and non-covered items, therefor the cashier never knows. Others have to know it's an EBT card or it won't go through. Just depends on the register setup.

Originally Posted By: tnshootistWell young gun,if that is the case,I guess this person was hungry for one grape and changed her mind at the last minute.

I think you missed the part where I said I didn't condone it...

Originally Posted By: YoungGun92We went over this last time somebody posted about buying cigs and such with EBT...

Most people only get food benefits loaded on their card. Some get their disability or other benefits loaded onto a separate account tied to that same card. It'd be just the same as them getting a check in the mail and paying for those cigs in cash.

I'm not defending these folks, I'm just trying to quell the misconceptions here.

Also, as far as cashiers "not knowing what type of card it was", that could be true. Some register systems automatically take off the tax and non-covered items, therefor the cashier never knows. Others have to know it's an EBT card or it won't go through. Just depends on the register setup.

I was curious how they could get cash back on an EBT foodstamp card, so I started doing some research online. Like YoungGun said, they can have other cash value payments loaded on the same card as the foodstamps.

I was wondering why someone would buy 1 grape with a card, and it dawned on me that maybe they are just trying to get cash from the cash part of their account without having to pay an ATM fee. I do it with my debit card whenever I'm somewhere that I don't have a branch of my bank nearby. Walk into Walmart, buy something I need, and get $100 cash back. But I've never done it with a grape.

Originally Posted By: IversOriginally Posted By: YoungGun92We went over this last time somebody posted about buying cigs and such with EBT...

I was curious how they could get cash back on an EBT foodstamp card, so I started doing some research online. Like YoungGun said, they can have other cash value payments loaded on the same card as the foodstamps.

I was wondering why someone would buy 1 grape with a card, and it dawned on me that maybe they are just trying to get cash from the cash part of their account without having to pay an ATM fee. I do it with my debit card whenever I'm somewhere that I don't have a branch of my bank nearby. Walk into Walmart, buy something I need, and get $100 cash back. But I've never done it with a grape.

Very good point Iver's, I'd also agree with YoungGun's suggestion that it's possible, dependent upon the how the store's register is set up, that it allows cash back on all credit/debit card purchases. It is also possible that purchase of non-essential non-food items might set bells and whistles off in the food stamp program's computer, or may cause the card to decline the charge against it, whereas the grape would not. If the food stamp recipients learned of this little loophole, you can bet that store would sell grapes all day long, 1 at a time!

I was talking to a cousin of mine who works "theft protection" at walmart. Her husband also works theft protection at anouther walmart a few miles away. They had lots of good stories to tell. But here was a good one. Between the two stores, they could catch on to what was going on pretty quickly. Here is a good story....

These people with nothing better to do would wander the parking lots and check the trash cans looking for receipts with food items that were paid for in cash. they would then go buy these same food items with their EBT cards, then RETURN these items using the cash receipts and get cash back.

sounds to me like they should use some of this time and get a job!

True story.

I was working a job down in Louisiana and living in a hotel. One day I went into a store to get some groceries for my lunches; sandwich stuff, soups, that kind of thing.

Well, as I'm about to hand the cashier a $20 bill for my food, the little black lady in line behind me hands the cashier her foodstamp card and says "I've got this".

I wasn't sure what was going on. The cashier was holding her card and asked if he should go ahead. Looked like he did it all the time. Me? I was just wondering why this lady wanted to pay for my groceries.

I smiled and said no thanks, and the cashier hander her card back and took my $20.

As I was walking across the parking lot I was wondering what just happened, when it dawned on me that she probably wanted to pay for my groceries with her foodstamp card, and have me pay her the cash.

The weirdest part was that the cashier acted like it was normal. That tells me it goes on a whole lot around there.

Seen something at walmart last night that reminded me of this thread.

I was in walmart around 11pm getting some paint for my diver decoys. This 30 some year old guy was infront of me. Came time for him to pay he pulled this wood box out of his jacket. Just after he did that I got this smell of skunk or what I thought was skunk. Got my attention. Then I noticed the EBT card he was sliding through the machine. Opened the box back up to put the card away and the was a pipe and a rolled up bad in the wood box. I though that was real ballsey to say the least.

We had a lady here that wanted to buy dog food and the cashier said she couldn't ring it up on the EBT. So the lady goes and exchanges it for hamburger meat.

Back