Coyote Hunting/Calling

for you guys and girls that hunt in areas like New Mexico where you can travel a hour in any direction and the terrain changes dramatically. if you want to blend in well with out having to buy more than a couple sets of camo, go look in army surplus stores for the new army digital camo. itll be so much cheaper than buying the different kinds of camo for winter or forest or even grasslands. if you cant find any in the surplus check out cheaperthandirt.com. if you get the regular army digital and the forest camo youll be able to blend into any terrain. i still use the regular digital during the snow fall and its like as if you were never there.

i have the primos e caller. as well as the lohman call,
they work ok, the primos one is good for the money.

id use mouth calls and electric calls, also throw in a howler too!

Why would the color of the camo matter?

Coyotes don't have color vision. Their eyes consist of all rods, no cones. That means no color vision, everything is black and white and shades of grey. However, they have great night vision and can pick up on motion easily.

If you want to evaluate your como, take a black and white picture (or Photoshop a digital picture into 256 shades of grey) of yourself with a typical background. You will see what the predator sees.

that was going to be my question. I have a .17 hmr and was wondering if that would suffice. I'm in michigan where theyre wont be many long shots.

JFOZ & Russdogg91...

Fellas, some friendly advice.
IF a rimfire is the only gun you have access to, or your local laws state that is all you can use, then give it a try.
But, don't expect to have a killing shot with either caliber...unless you're within 50 yds, & make a "dead-center of head" shot.
Rimfires just don't pack enough "punch", regardless of what some folks say.

If you have access to either a 12 gauge, or a centerfire rifle, do so.

JFOZ...as far as what you truly "need", (aside from the gun), a call that you are comfortable using that creates a prey distress sound, such as cottontail, or jack rabbit. (Doesn't matter if you have those critters in your area, as long as your sound is convincingly "hurt")

If you have an open-reed call, this time of year pup distress works well, as pups are dispersing, & there are still plenty of other things to eat besides rabbit.
If you're new enough to not know what pup distress is, (sounds like you might be), think "stepping on a dog's tail".
You make this sound on an open-reed by "pulling" your top lip/teeth back across the reed, towards the tip..."yip, yip, yip, yip".

Having camo is great, & should be worn head-to-toe, but not absolutely necessary to get started.
Having a soft foam pad, or something, to put under your butt is a good idea.
If you're hunting in a brushy, or heavily timbered area, binocs aren't necessary. However, if you're hunting in open areas, they are a help.

Aside from that, the best advice I can give you, is...#1) PRACTICE your calling long before stepping foot onto your hunting area; #2) Sit as still as possible, using your eyes to scan the area, with super-slow head turning; #3) Have patience. Don't expect a coyote to come bounding into sight within the first few minutes. BUT, be prepared in case one does; #4) See #1; #5) See #1, again; #6) Don't get discouraged if nothing comes in. That's why it's called "hunting".

I'd like to add if I may.
For a lot of young hunters a shotgun is the first tool of the trade they will own. Excellent. From where I am in northern Minnesota on east to the Atlantic there is primarily bush and brushy woodland type environments. Again excellent. Third part of the trifecta that makes for great youth calling experiences is all the deer stands that hunters have built in every corner of creation it seems and they all sit empty during the best calling time of the calendar.
If young people do some leg work and find different existing deer stand locations and put together a milk run of sorts to use 3 or 4 consecutively mornings and evenings ([beeep] anytime may work) I think they will do very well, shotgun and all.
I have called many bears for hunters utilizing these ready to go blinds. They work for all.

Unclehef-A

Some sound advice.

I've hunted with both callers & spot/stalkers. Hilly terrain I would stealth in on the cross wind, angled up wind preferably. From where a coyote is or suspected to be. Flat land with ground cover. It may be better to walk in with the wind in your face? depending on height of ground cover (to avoid being seen). Regardless, most coyotes when bedded down. Will be facing a down wind angle. Not making noise on the way in. IS as important as utilizing the wind direction.

Back