Most active coyote time?

I'm trying to maximize my time hunting these wily beasts. What time of day do you all find most productive in slaying these critters? They are very active in the later part of the evening here in the summer - winter seems to favor mid to late day in my part of the country - but more often than not, I hunt when I have the time - and maybe am missing a more productive part of the day.

Sounds like you've answered your own question. From day to day the most active time may vary depending on moon phase, weather conditions, etc. SO, I'd say keep doing what you're doing, hunt every time you get the chance.

This past weekend I called coyotes during every part of the day time. It's not always like that, but if you're sitting on the couch, you won't find out.

Just to clarify this past Sunday when I say we called coyotes all day, we called in 15 or 16 and we started at just before sunrise and quit before sunset at 6pm. Killed 9...I wonder what the moon phase was and if it really mattered....

Last edited:
I like the part about if your sitting on the couch you will find out! Or if ya don't get out of the truck and make stands!
I have found that moon phase plays the biggest roll, then weather. You can have a full moon and have an overcast night and they are likely to hold up untill daylight in my part of the country! But, if ya don't get up and walk outside you will never know. Sorry about the soap box of not getting up, I have a friend that I thought was a good hunter but seams he has gotten more lazy over the years! Kinda rubs me wrong.

They seem to be most active here around dusk and night. During the summer I was woken up a few times around 11pm from howls and yips about 50yds from the front door.

I have one of the Casio Pathfinder watches and it's amazing how accurate it is at telling you when the animals are going to be up and moving..

I was one of those that wanted to know when the cycles and times were with the phases of the moon. But it seemed complicated and wasn't sure how it worked.

I bought the watch, which is a great watch to begin with, but it tells me the best time of the day to get out there and hunt. There are typically 4 times of the day that are the best to get out there and hunt (2 short periods and 2 longer). During the summer I was out in the woods for about 3 weeks total time and when ever I saw the animals up moving and the fish biting, i would look at the watch and every single time it was right on the money of when the watch said they would be.

I don't schedule my hunt times around the moon, or the time of day, I am not going to hunt around the watch.. I just don't get that much time where I can get out there and hunt (in my opinion, not my wifes) but will hunt when i can.

I think that typically the morning and evening are the best times. but there are times where you can and will call them in during the middle of the day.

But this comes down to knowing if they are up and moving vs. bedded down. Knowing this, and where they will be for each of these things, will make you more successful. I say that because, if you know they are going to be taking a 4 hour nap, you can get out there and quietly walk in from the roads to the area's that are lower and wooded. Get to within 100-150 meters of the tree lines, and face those tree's and call. Start with an interogation howl to get the sleeping dogs to wake up, and hit then hit them with the rabbit. Even if they were sleeping you can wake them up and get them to move to eat, especially if it's a close meal.

During the hunting times, that is when you are going to need to figure out where do they go to mouse and eat? And then find the paths they are going to take after that to get back to the bedding area's.

As for the watch, I will hunt when I can, but you better know it, I am going to hunt a bit harder and make sure I am calling during the prime times (when I am out there). But also calling bedding area's when it's not the prime time.

One of the nice things about the watch (once you get it set) is that you can forward the calendar to this weekend and find out when the best time is going to be for Saterday, so that I can start coming up with a plan.

Sometimes, some of the best hunting you can do is just research. If you know that from 8-10am is prime hunting, but then they are going to bed from 10-2 pm, you can head out on Friday Night and drive around in your truck at night with a howler or siren, and call from the roads during what is supposed to be the bed time the night or two before. When you hear a response mark it on the Map or GPS, Then you know where they are when they are sleeping. When you come back on Saterday you can look around the area for the hunting lands, (if you are there during the hunting times) but you will now know what to look for in the area's where you heard the howls (during the bedding time) and can look for bedding area's to call, during the off times of the day, to be able to have all day long success.

Good luck, and of course this is just my opinion, take it for what it's worth (free) lol

Coyotes are considered nocturnal or crepuscular, so they are most active late evening to early morning. That is to say, they are activly searching for food or moving about in general during that time. They can be persuaded to respond to a call at any hour.

Still hot here in AZ, and I went out yesterday. Got an early morning start and 5 stands later, still nothing. Temps hit about 90 at around 11:00 and I hit one more stand, and wouldn't you know it, my only responder of the day.

Point being...you never know.

Lately we've been hearing them just after dark, and then again around 4am

We went out a few nights ago, starting just after dark. got them to respond around 10pm but could not close the deal.

Had to go to work the next day so we quit around 11pm.

approx half moon rose at 9pm. heavy overcast, no wind, tail end of a frontal system that had moved through two days earlier.

I usually ask the neighbors when and where they've been hearing or seeing them, and try to hunt accordingly, but like just about everybody, i hunt when i can.

During November, December, January and February I call coyotes from just before sun up to just after sundown and they seem to be pretty active then.

Here in the flatlands of NW Indiana, they get active at night for the most part. In jan and Feb, you will see a big increase of daytime activity. They will alot of the times be standign right out in the middle of the fields in the middle of the day. I believe that this has just about everything to do with the breeding season.

That being said, with all the flat land in NW Indiana, its hard to get out calling in the daytime. The yotes hang out in the weed lines just watching you walk right in. We go after them almost exclusivley at night.

Around here the morning has been the best time But have been getting some late responders at around 1130 pm and its been hot to, so goes to show you never know I hunt whenever I get a chance, would rather be out and learning then sitting at home wishing I was out there hunting.

Call me crazy or anything you perfer but in the summer I've always had luck calling dogs in right smack in the middle of the day..but they do have a mind of their own..I've called em in all times of the day before.

Back