AR scope for yotes

spotandstock

Fellas,
Kinda new to the game and I was wondering what scope would work best on my rock river. I'm leaning towards a Leupold mark ar mildot. Suggestions please.

Scope choice will depend a lot on your normal shooting terrain....High powered scopes only really work well if you are normally confronted with long range shots, in open country...

While I have a couple in the 4-16x range, I seldom take them out...Most of my shooting will be under 100 yards and closer to 40-50, unless I find one that comes in really close...

My 'go to' that I keep mounted is a 2.8-10x that is kept at the lowest setting...In really brushy, or tall grass areas, my EO-Tech (no magnification) stays in place, because then a 40 yard sighting would be rare...

I just received a Burrus Fullfield E1 3-9x40, that I started to evaluate. Burris Fullfield scopes have a good reputation for ruggedness. I'm going to put this scope on my mid-length AR coyote rifle to do more testing. My initial impression:

The E1 bullet drop marks match the trajectory of 75 gr .223 ammo very well.

The reticle is small - does not go across the entire field of view. That gives the scope an unobstructed field of view, but makes it less optimal for low light hunting. I would go with a 50 mm for low light hunting anyway.

The optical contrast is very high, above average for that price point. I'll check resolution later this week. The scope is lightweight, but not particularly short. Pull off the turret caps and you find small turret knobs. All the controls are a bit stiff, but I find all scope knobs loosen up a bit after use.

Even without the $50 rebate, this scope is an excellent deal.

I have a VariX 111 1.75x6 on my RR Predator Pursuit. I like it a lot, light, small, and crystal clear in all light conditions.

I have a Leupold VX-R 3-9x50 on my coyote AR. I've been pleased with it so far, and I really like the lit reticle for last light.

I just run a 4-16x40 coyote special. For a callin scope it works excellent the circles in the BDC reticle work out at 200, 300, and 375 on my R-15. For a calling scope I love it.

I have the Nikon P-223 3x9x40 on my AR and I really like it. It works really well at night because it picks alot of light. I got it at Docks Sporting Goods for $199.99. It has the BDC reticle also. The elevation and windage adjustments are tactical style. The turrets are set-up for 55 grain 3240 fps rounds. I use the Hornady V-Max round. Anyway hope this helps some.

I have a 1-6 swfa scope on order that I hope to use on my ar if it ever gets here. I think it will be pretty much perfect for a calling scope.

If your not worried about weight, the trijicon 2.5-10x56 is an amazing scope. It gives you good power range and pulls light like no other.

Originally Posted By: JDF_GSPI have a 1-6 swfa scope on order that I hope to use on my ar if it ever gets here. I think it will be pretty much perfect for a calling scope.

I am waiting for a SWFA 1-6x24 also. I've only gone out and hunted yotes one time. Didn't see anything though. My thought is that a 1-6 would be plenty of scope for distances I would be shooting with a .223. Seems like the higher power stuff would just be bigger, heavier and limit field of view. Since I have never shot any coyotes I don't have personal experience but it seems like the higher magnification scopes would make target acquisition more difficult on a moving animal.

Originally Posted By: MURPH13If your not worried about weight, the trijicon 2.5-10x56 is an amazing scope. It gives you good power range and pulls light like no other.

+1 Trijicon is a great scope and the 2.5 x 10 x 56 is one of my favorites.

I have purchased three of the trijicons. Awesome glass but make sure you get the mil dot and not the triangle. Triangle not good for precision shots. Personally, For yotes i would like to have more power than 10.

Originally Posted By: RootneyAnyone tried one of the 1-6 power on an .223 AR?

The Burris XTR 1.5-6x is excellent on top of an AR. I have one on my 3 gun rifle and have a Vortex 2.5-10x PST on my calling rifle. Both great scopes.

I use Nikon IRT 4-12 power with BDC Reticle on both of my ar's. It takes the guess work out of range finding one that hangs up at longer ranges.

Back