AR-15's Have Become So Ubiquitous

Stu Farish

Director / Webmaster
Staff member
That I saw 2 rows of them at walmart yesterday. DPMS, S&W, Colt, ranging from about $560 - $1100

All looked to have 20 round mags, most collapsible stocks.

I have too agree, with the shear numbers of AR's being sold and stocked in places like Walmart and Ace hardware stores. I don't see them being put on any ban list anytime soon.

First of all I had to look that word up, a secondly you are correct.
smile.gif

i started hunting with my ar back in 1998, guess i was ahead of my time. the popularity almost makes me want to switch back to a bolt gun. but i sure like the follow up shots on multiple dogs.

For whatever reason ... I can not get myself to own a black rifle.

There is just something special about a nice bolt or lever gun! Of course, this is all viewed through my eyes.

wink.gif

I've shot a few AR's but never owned one. I have started to kinda take a liking to em in the last year or two. With all the political tension in the air and what I fear is coming down the pipe, I ordered one. I just fear that in the next few months or so either there will be some sort of regulation or price increase. I figured if I didn't get one pretty quick I wouldn't be able to afford one if certain things happen.

Ubiquitous for good reason. It separates itself from other "assault rifles" in so many ways. Once they moved from a spray paint can to an accurate useable rifle capable of shooting next to a bolt rifle, they went mainstream quickly. After making a few follow up shots on coyotes and groundhogs that would have never been possible with a bolt gun, I decided I'd never be without at least one in the safe.

After Viet Nam and before Desert Storm, there was a period where the AR platform was pretty dormant and surplus Colts started hitting the civilian market...Some with good and some with bad reputations....

A few manufacturers were sitting on a bunch of parts and one or two of them started promoting their use in the civilian market by sponsoring 'action' type shooting matches...DPMS was one of those and I attended a few of their three gun matches where the prize tables were considerably higher you normally find...I'm talking a limit if 200 shooters and tables worth $140k-$180k...Then CMMG started sponsoring their own matches..A viable following started to exist...

Most of the early problems associated with the first military versions had been resolved and then a limited number of people started applying the platform to the hunting scene...as well as discussion boards on the internet that wound up providing a lot of opinions, potential modifications, and 'how to' articles...

As word of the inherent accuracy started getting circulated, popularity blossomed and now the retail merchant class is getting fully involved with them..
Quote:I have too agree, with the shear numbers of AR's being sold and stocked in places like Walmart and Ace hardware stores. I don't see them being put on any ban list anytime soon....If Obama is re-elected and in the light of Fast & Furious blowing up in their faces, I would tend to agree with a lack of controls being placed on the weapons, but that still leaves an effort on the part of the government to restrict the access to ammunition and reloading supplies..

The AR platform, as with most other long guns, are really awkward clubs and boat paddles...

Originally Posted By: Ricky BobbyFor whatever reason ... I can not get myself to own a black rifle.

This sir,

IMG_42782.jpg

is no black rifle!

I can't get myself to NOT own an AR...or a few.

Sendit

The Colt M191A1s we used in the military through the mid 70s or so used to jam regularly. I've never held any Colts after that. Even Bushmasters I have carried as duty rifles jammed now and then. My Rock River Arms Elite Comp has never jammed, and works the best by far. And now, some of the custom ARs shoot like a dream. I plan on getting at least one custom when I can, and also hope to build one of my own. They are easy to get hooked on once you have one.

Originally Posted By: Ricky BobbyFor whatever reason ... I can not get myself to own a black rifle.
wink.gif

Now if I could get a million more not to like them, I could get parts, etc much faster
smile.gif

There is just something special about a nice bolt or lever gun! Of course, this is all viewed through my eyes.

wink.gif

I was not really excited about them either, since all I had been exposed to were your typical hunting rifles..... until I traded for my first one.... Now I wish I could afford to build a few more!!

Everyone should have atleast one in their arsonal.
thumbup.gif

Back