crow decoys

barrelslime

I refuse to pay 20 dollars and up for a crow decoy. I know you guys are thrifty, so if you make you own, give me some ideas. Pics would be great of your handy work.
Thanks
Tom

Buy yourself one decoy to sacrafice. Drill a 1/2" hole in the bottom of the decoy. Now cut the decoy in half from top to bottom. Smear something like vaseline on the inside of the decoy shell. After that use masking tape and put the shell back together. Now squirt Great Stuff inside, keeping in mind that this stuff EXPANDS. I think you know where I am going with this.
Now all you need is black spray paint.

Tincan - nice trick! I own about 6 of the flocked cost me about 14 each from cabelas. they work really well. If you need some crow hunting tips just ask! It can be easy or frustratingly hard.

I noticed my Walmart had a six pack of dove decoys on sale for $7.00. Can't remember the brand but they had metal clips for attaching to limbs, corn stalks, etc. Just hit them with a good coat of black rustoleum.

I use crow/owl fight call alot. Put out an Owl decoy and then roll up some small black trash bags putting rubber band around to form a kind of head. Throw 4-6 of them on the ground in front of the owl. Turn on the call, step back under the trees and the race is on!
This year I did succumb to the $7 pack of 6 Wallyworld dove decoys that are now painted black. Plan to put some of them in the trees but have always had great luck with the trashbag decoys and after the first round you have REAL carcasses to lay down.

Last edited:
I have tried bout everything I can for crow decoys. I've stuffed black socks with newspaper. Bend wire coat hangers into somewhat of a crow shape wrap with either electric tape or pieces of black trash bag. From my experience crow hunting is a lot trickier than you may think. Full chokes come in handy and there's no such thing as too much camo

For several years, the wife and I hunted with 3 crow decoys and 1 owl decoy. Since then I have added 1 more crow decoy.

It doesn't take a lot of decoys to be successfull.
And as Willybo said about the camo, more is better. If you have a ghillie suit, use it, mine has helped a lot.

Good luck on killing those black bandits.
Shayne

I cut some dekes out of tar paper today. Had 3 of those and s 3d deke and as soon as they came in the call (which is am old lynch's 45rpm record player) messed up. The needle slid across the record they seemed to have had interest when the came in but they were about 20 yards too far to start shooting. It was a real bummer but it was another mistake to learn from.

Oh my god, I haven't thought about those old Lynch 45 RPMs in years. Those are what my dad listened to when trying to learn turkey calling, back in the EARLY 60s.

Sorry your hunt got messed up,but thanks for the blast from the past.

The Johnny Stewart crow and owl fight is a great sound. If you can find a cassette or cd of it, you can use a corresponding walk-man with a cheap Radio Shack amp and an external speaker.
Good luck brother
Shayne

Haha I figured some of you older members would appreciate the lynch call. Its a beast of a call and it'll bring them in but last year I went and got me a speaker from radio shack and a mini amp to use as a predator call but it's too poor sounding to use on fox/coyote but yesterday I decided I would turn that into my new crow call rig. Thanks for the info [beeep]! I'll have to find me a johnny Stewart tape cause everyone claims they work wonders.

If your gonna shoot em have the decency to buy em breakfast....Run by Mc.Donalds and get two sandwiches....one and a half for you...half for the crows....get em as two orders in separate bags.

You will enjoy the Mick D coffee as you place the bags about 8 feet apart and insert rocks in them so they dont blow away....Take the half sandwich (CROWS AINT PICKY) and scatter it in very fine pieces between the bags.

Make sure the Mickey D logos are UP!...Trust me they ALL know this!

No calling is required most of the time and a crow will spot those bags from five miles away and the absence of other crows will make him think he's hit the mother load!

Dont forget to Pick up your bags!....You can use em next time!...the more bags the more crows!

SGT. E

Last edited:
I have made the clothes-hanger bent then wrapped black trash bag ones before and they seemed to be okay. Wouldn't recommend it if you are super serious about crows though.

I usually just shape some wire coat hangers into crow like shapes and put black tape over them or stretch black socks into them.

Works like a charm

Back